Archa beer now 5% ABV

While Chang lowers the ABV, Archa just raised it.

I just wanted to let ya'll know... and they updated the bottle cap and design on the bottle.

In my opinion, despite what some think, Archa is decent beer for the price. It is not much different than LEO or Chang, and cost less.

A case of Archa is 488 baht for 12 big bottles..... about 40 baht a bottle. Not bad... almost like the price of beer 5 years ago 555

Stay thirsty, my friends!

I used to drink Chang few years ago but had many late nites , early morns coming home an not remembering where the hell I ended up.

So yes I'm an Archa guy too now. An I get home at a civilised hour (well almost).

An no I havnt got a drink problem, b4 u all berate me.

When Archa arrived it was the CC's beer of choice at arond Bt16/17 for a large one up country. Settled around Bt20/23 for a while but folk in the cities wouldn't touch it. It did (does still ?) taste like <deleted>.

Archa has been 5% as long as I can remember and Chang wasn't consistent if the stories are true about it exceeding 10% sometimes. Personally I like Chang export and wish the 5% would be reduced to 4 or even 3.5% as I can't help myself once I start drinking, I've heard that the brewers in the UK have reduced the alcohol content of some of their beers. For the house I buy Leo, Chang draught or export but it's hard to find the small bottles of them where I live. In the local bars I generally drink Leo but 1 bar does have Chang draught actually on draught, that's a novel concept.

I'm pretty sure that for the last 5 years Archa has been 5%.

Archa tastes really malty, almost like whisky. I prefer Red Horse (6%) or Cheers (5%). Cheers is only 485 Baht a carton so not too expensive.

I drank Archer for quite a long time when I was 'price conscious'.......

Age dictated I cut down, but I decided to upgrade to Leo.... it really does taste better.

I also buy SML, but if they put the price up above 1000/case I will stop!

It always amazes me when people compare beer notes and rate the one with the highest alcohol content as "the best." Reminds me of my friend back in the States that would get all excited whenever he found some new brand with an ever higher alcohol content. His company, FedEx, spent $50,000 on his rehab several years ago and he's been on the wagon ever since.

I used to like to drink Lucky Lager because it was cheap and had only a little more alcohol than water. I could drink a case of the stuff without falling on my lips and pissing all over myself. Great on a hot day. Also had some great pictorial puzzles inside the bottle caps.

Edited by PattayaClub

When Archa arrived it was the CC's beer of choice at arond Bt16/17 for a large one up country. Settled around Bt20/23 for a while but folk in the cities wouldn't touch it. It did (does still ?) taste like <deleted>.

Never been the beer of my choice...555

But given the importance of this it should be posted in the news section...

It always amazes me when people compare beer notes and rate the one with the highest alcohol content as "the best." Reminds me of my friend back in the States that would get all excited whenever he found some new brand with an ever higher alcohol content. His company, FedEx, spent $50,000 on his rehab several years ago and he's been on the wagon ever since.

I used to like to drink Lucky Lager because it was cheap and had only a little more alcohol than water. I could drink a case of the stuff without falling on my lips and pissing all over myself. Great on a hot day. Also had some great pictorial puzzles inside the bottle caps.

The only reason I drink beer is to... get drunk. So price vs Alc% is an issue for me. As for your friend: Moderation is the key. Learn your limits and stay within them. I always drink before going to bed and I haven't had a hangover since New Year's.

Archa was 5.4%, then went to 4.9% and now recently changed to 5%

Cheers red is 6.0%, and a decent option as well.

What I don't understand is why all these beers keep changing the ABV %

I could certainly be wrong, but if I remember correctly, the tax is based on the volume of alcohol sold. So lowering the alcohol content of a bottle of beer lowers the tax paid by the super wealthy families that run the country and own the breweries. If they don't lower the price of the beer, it raises their profit. These people never have enough.

If I'm buying my Thai mates order Heineken, when it's their turn to pay they order Archa.

If you were buying, I'd order Erdinger.

Sorry. Only locally made beers sold at my drinking spot.

Edited by Keesters

If I'm buying my Thai mates order Heineken, when it's their turn to pay they order Archa.

If you were buying, I'd order Erdinger.

Sorry. Only locally made beers sold at my drinking spot.

Why the heck doesn't TV have a "Don't Like" button?

Good one mate! There are so many changes in the beer industry in Thailand and not too many people talk about it. I would say there are radical changes.

Chang Classic dropped its alcohol level below 6% , it is not the same beer.

To add almost all local breweries reduced the amount of beer in the bottles. It is not 640 ml as it used to be, but it is 630 ml.

Furthermore strong beers reduced their alcohol levels. Red Cheers and Red Horse are 6 % now, so Chang Classic lost its position as a strong beer by dropping below 6%.

Archa had quite a journey. From 5.4% they dropped it to 4.9% (why on Earth would you drink beer less than 5 %?). I guess they got it when people lost interest in Archa. By increasing its alcohol content to 5 % Archa might gain some interest from people because it is less expensive than the other beers in its category (Leo for example with 5% is 10 Baht more expensive).

There is no cheap beer anymore in Thailand. It became ridiculously expensive in proportion to the local people income. I am going to try the new Archa in the near future and I am going to post again. From what I've seen the looks of Archa labels changed to better.

Edited by Thunder26

Good one mate! There are so many changes in the beer industry in Thailand and not too many people talk about it. I would say there are radical changes.

To add almost all local breweries reduced the amount of beer in the bottles. It is not 640 ml as it used to be, but it is 630 ml.

Furthermore strong beers reduced their alcohol levels. Red Cheers and Red Horse are 6 % now, so Chang Classic lost its position as a strong beer by dropping below 6%.

Archa had quite a journey. From 5.4% they dropped it to 4.9% (why on Earth would you drink beer less than 5 %?). I guess they got it when people lost interest in Archa. By increasing its alcohol content to 5 % Archa might gain some interest from people because it is less expensive than the other beers in its category (Leo for example with 5% is 10 Baht more expensive).

There is no cheap beer anymore in Thailand. It became ridiculously expensive in proportion to the local people income. I am going to try the new Archa in the near future and I am going to post again. From what I've seen the looks of Archa labels changed to better.

Finally, somebody who also knows his beer.

Finally, somebody who also knows his beer.

Great post!