Thai baht expected to stay 34/$ for now

webfact

Can anyone comment if the Baht is weakening against currencies other than the US Dollar?

been floating around 25 baht for AUD

The Kiwi and Aussie have weakened.

The Kiwi around 22 and Aussie 25 a few weeks back the opposite kiwi was at around 25 and Aussie a bit higher.

The Greek situation is being played as a contibuter and the money boys will be pushing currencies around while this is happening.

I think after this settles down the NZD and AUS will rebound as will other currencies.

The baht cannot and will not stay immune in this world of turmoil and if the government insists on keeping it high external forces will change it for them. I think events in China are the Black Swan event that has been foretold to be coming. Markets go in cycles and we are now in the cycle where greed has drawn the small investor into the fray. As history has demonstrated this is when things fall apart and the big guy is long gone with his profits and the little guy is left holding an empty bag. When the small investor (and there are lots of them) starts to get burnt this causes panic. This is my forecast so lets see how things play out over the coming weeks and months. After all the little people are badly burnt and blood is flowing in the streets the moneyed boys step in again and the cycle repeats itself.

Insists on keeping it high. Yeah right....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

THB has not fallen significantly. What's happening is that as the Greek fiasco plays on, people are turning to the $US which they see as a safe haven in times of financial instability. Thus, the $US has risen against many currencies. Normal market reaction to increase price of a popular commodity.

I take a different view. In fact, it has only weakened about 3 baht against the dollar over the last 12 months (roughly 10%). But when you consider the price of thailand's number one import - about 12% of GDP is spent on crude oil imports - has fallen in half over that same period, Thailand should be recording large monthly Trade surpluses. That this is not the case indicates that the Thai economy - specifically exports - have very very serious problems.

With oil price weakness I predicted the THB would have at worst held steady against the USD or even appreciated. However, as it has done the opposite, I suspect thailand is more reliant on Chinese foreign investment than many people beleive.

This paints a very bleak future for thailand if Chinese problems escalate.

Edited by Time Traveller

my iherb supplements only get more expensive

but how come the euro stays at a low 37, compared to at least 42 last year ?

EU is doing QE which started pretty much after USA finished their rounds of QE. They're in cahoots it would appear, and would expect that the Euro won't be getting strong any time this year, without even considering any of the other issues in the area.

"Pongtharin Sapayanon, head of fixed income at Aberdeen Asset Management, said the escalation of Greece's debt situation had contributed to the strengthening of the US dollar, and that was the main reason the baht depreciated yesterday."

Absolute nonscence - has nothing to do with the Greek "crisis" . In fact the dollar has been weakening since March except against the Thai Baht and the Euro (see Chart)

You can see from the chart , the Greek "crisis" has had little effect on raising the value of the US$ except in the past week and the effect has been minimal..

It is likely Thai Baht will continue to depreciate against the US$ (for whatever reason) to 36.00 the 2009 highs, in the next few months.

It is also likely the US$ will continue to weaken against the rest of the world currencies for the time being as a significant high was made in March followed by a monthly reversal.

post-50622-0-22887600-1436437577_thumb.p

Edited by pattayasnowman

The Greek debt is totally dwarfed by the trillions that have been lost in the Chinese stock markets. Lost not by institutions but by 90 million small investors & businesses that have borrowed heavily.If the Thai baht is not going to be heavily affected by the events, including social unrest, that will be set loose in China then it truly is a Teflon currency.

Thailand Baht Sinks to Six-Year Low on Outflows Amid China Rout http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-08/thailand-s-baht-sinks-to-six-year-low-on-outflows-china-concern?cmpid=yhoo

China is Thailand's second largest export market, after the US, and China's Stock Market fell 42% in the last month. That's going to sting. Investors are also nervous about the possible exit of Greece from the Euro.

Oh really? What does the US buy from Thailand?

Thai Rice? You gotta be kidding me.. Aren't enough rice eaters to fill the state of rhode island.

Nikon Cameras? Maybe that's it but the sales of DSLR's are plummeting as smartphones are easier to carry and offer nearly same image qualities.

Thailand Baht Sinks to Six-Year Low on Outflows Amid China Rout http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-08/thailand-s-baht-sinks-to-six-year-low-on-outflows-china-concern?cmpid=yhoo

China is Thailand's second largest export market, after the US, and China's Stock Market fell 42% in the last month. That's going to sting. Investors are also nervous about the possible exit of Greece from the Euro.

Oh really? What does the US buy from Thailand?

Thai Rice? You gotta be kidding me.. Aren't enough rice eaters to fill the state of rhode island.

Nikon Cameras? Maybe that's it but the sales of DSLR's are plummeting as smartphones are easier to carry and offer nearly same image qualities.

OK. YOU argue with Blookberg News. It's only one of the top economic/news publications in the US. Do you shout at the television when they report something you disagree with? Sheesh!

You probably didn't even open the link. Argumentative, much?

You know, people who are determined to stay ignorant are called 'stupid'.

Maybe we should all 'goggle' our own information as suggested by Bangkokequity ?!!

His point is a valid one. Here on TV.com I often see many people asking questions that can very easily and quickly be answered by a simple google search. In fact, often the google search is faster than typing and posting the question on TV.com.

I usually use Google, but sometimes I can't figure out a key word search to get results localized to Thailand, or the data I want isn't on English language pages (I can read Thai laboriously, but I prefer not to, especially on a computer screen). If I want to know where to buy juggling bean bags in BKK google doesn't show me so I might put a query on TV. By the way, anybody know of a place that sells them?

Can anyone comment if the Baht is weakening against currencies other than the US Dollar?

You need to learn about http://www.xe.com/, but if you believe in Ron Paul the information probably won't save you.

For an 'acharn' you seem unusually thick. I also quoted Vladimir Lenin; it doesn't mean 'I believe in him' or 'expect him to save me'. Are you named like some Thai people? Big, fat people and nick-named 'Lek' and skinny people are nick-named 'Ooan'; you are unusually thick so they call you 'Acharn'. But thanks for the information, 'Acharn'. 555

I can, but I will not .. since you posted this .. obviously, your internet connection is sound, and your computer works.

Who ARE you slack arse lazies who can not goggle your own information?

Signed "Ain't your bitch"

I have never tried goggle ,is it any good as a search engine? smile.png

Only for dive sites !!! 555

nice catch ...

I can, but I will not .. since you posted this .. obviously, your internet connection is sound, and your computer works.

What an idiot comment, why are you responding in a forum if no one can ask an opinion...?

That is bad news. Go back to 40+ as it was 11-12 years ago

Ah, my first trip to the LOS was in 2004. 44 + baht to the USD. That anemic 29 baht it got down to on one of my trips made costs very noticeable. That's a very measurable percentage change, 44 to 29.

Dear "Ain't your bitch" ("bitch" for short),

How do you "goggle" something. Perhaps you could be more clear.

Signed "Just wondering"

Maybe we should all 'goggle' our own information as suggested by Bangkokequity ?!!

His point is a valid one. Here on TV.com I often see many people asking questions that can very easily and quickly be answered by a simple google search. In fact, often the google search is faster than typing and posting the question on TV.com.

I usually use Google, but sometimes I can't figure out a key word search to get results localized to Thailand, or the data I want isn't on English language pages (I can read Thai laboriously, but I prefer not to, especially on a computer screen). If I want to know where to buy juggling bean bags in BKK google doesn't show me so I might put a query on TV. By the way, anybody know of a place that sells them?

OK guys .. first of all, I agree , that "GoGGle typo is FUNNY.

I have already replied that I only use it to purchase dive equipment.

I have noticed not one of the people who criticized me for not providing an overview of the relative value of the THB to other currencies ... have provided one answer Mr Slack Arse's question.

So to help nudge him along, and since he is now yelling at others to use Bloomberg....(Dude, if you know Bloomberg, then go to the currency section.)

Duh, and answer your own question !!!!!!

Here is the result of a 10 second search.

post-145190-0-76872700-1436495680_thumb.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the chart.

I moved to Thailand in December 2013. EU now owns me the money I worked for, and that was 44 THB per EUR. That's the conditions under which I left EU, and I didn't allow anyone to change them.

Thanks for the chart.

I moved to Thailand in December 2013. EU now owns me the money I worked for, and that was 44 THB per EUR. That's the conditions under which I left EU, and I didn't allow anyone to change them.

Yeah, I know right? Did you provide your forwarding address to "them.?"

All my friends from Europe have been getting bi-Annual deposits to their accounts to make up the difference.

Go to the pub and ask around, i am sure you will get some interesting feedback.

A crude, uncivil and illiterate reply to the post.

A crude, uncivil and illiterate reply to the post.

No worries Benmart, I forgive you .... perhaps you are having an off morning.

Hey, here is a thought! instead of critiquing my reply (Which got a "like" from ramitimdalls") YOU could spend your time crafting an informed reply.

Waiting to see you " ..... comment if the Baht is weakening against currencies other than the US Dollar"

Hmmm ... perhaps my little jab makes more sense now?

Thanks for the chart.

All my friends from Europe have been getting bi-Annual deposits to their accounts to make up the difference.

Thanks for the info, I'll figure it out.

THB has not fallen significantly. What's happening is that as the Greek fiasco plays on, people are turning to the $US which they see as a safe haven in times of financial instability. Thus, the $US has risen against many currencies. Normal market reaction to increase price of a popular commodity.

I take a different view. In fact, it has only weakened about 3 baht against the dollar over the last 12 months (roughly 10%). But when you consider the price of thailand's number one import - about 12% of GDP is spent on crude oil imports - has fallen in half over that same period, Thailand should be recording large monthly Trade surpluses. That this is not the case indicates that the Thai economy - specifically exports - have very very serious problems.

With oil price weakness I predicted the THB would have at worst held steady against the USD or even appreciated. However, as it has done the opposite, I suspect thailand is more reliant on Chinese foreign investment than many people beleive.

This paints a very bleak future for thailand if Chinese problems escalate.

Since 2012 when all the protest nonsense started, FDI has been falling in Thailand. What does FDI principally produce in Thaialnd. Stuff for exports. Once they have stopped attracting foreign companies to invest in Thailand, export growth dries up.

What do foreign companies like?

1. no coups

2. stable governments

3. predictability

4. no floods

5. no insurrection

Good luck..........

So they have had 3 or 4 years of fewer factories and businesses being put up by foreign companies.

This devaluation wont create much extra business.

Thanks for the chart.

Thanks for the info, I'll figure it out.

You are very welcome! I am American, and for years have been receiving the difference between what banks paid in interest when I left (4.325%) and what they pay today, (1.313%)

They base it on the value of all my assets the day I left, and what I could have earned in USD if I stayed and kept my job.

it is a comfortable living, and covers my rent at my (penthouse) condo at Wat Arun.

Have a lovely weekend.