Thai Tourism Minister says tourism should promote longer stays by foreign visitors

webfact

Agree with the previous post, visa's are the biggest issue for people wanting to stay longer in Thailand. Allow foreigners to own 1 property, and then issue them with a renewable 5 year multi-entry visa.

They said foreigner "Visitors", i.e., people staying for a limited amount of time. Retirees and those of us who have settled into Thailand and call it home aren't visitors - well, even though we're treated like somewhere between criminals and dogs and it's more than obvious that they'd like us to leave our money then GTFO.

Bottom line: They need to work on immigration reform, and then work on wiping out all the scams that do affect actual 'Visitors' to this country.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...we're treated like somewhere between criminals and dogs and it's more than obvious that they'd like us to leave our money then GTFO.

It's even in the national anthem: "Every inch of Thailand belongs only to the Thais" (or words to that effect). They really don't want us spending our money on anything other than consumables, wasting assets or service labor.

There have been so many post about retired people and others who live in Thailand full time and how to make it better for them, I went back and read the OP again.

"The Tourism and Sports Minister said during a trip to Chiang Mai that the tourism sector needed to find a way to encourage foreign visitors to stay in the country longer."

The post is about tourist and visitors and hoe to get them to stay longer and spend more money!

It is not about residents , like us, ( yes, I live here too) and how to make living in Thailand easier for us!

Be honest, visitors and tourist spend more freely than those who live here daay to day.

When I was a tourist, years ago, I spent like I was a 30 day millionaire.

If I could have got a 90 day to tourist visa, I would have spent like a 90 day millionaire.

I spend a good deal of money now, but I tend to manage my money now.

This is about increasing tourist satays and spending.

Making life easier for expat residents is an interesting topic.

Start a thread about expats in Thailand wanting an easier life and leave this one to what it was intended for.

Thailand is very unattractive for people shopping for high end items. The import taxes on luxury goods makes it like that. Cut the tax, and high end tourists will spend more. Perhaps Thailand could even become a destination for big spenders in much the same way KL and Singapore are now.

Oh, and cut the tax on wine and see sales soar (not only with the tourist market). People resent paying a high price for a thoroughly inferior glass they wouldn't dream of drinking at home.

Thailand could have a vibrant, multi billion dollar wine market and be earning a profit of 100% on it all. Instead some simple minded, money grubbing senators, bowed down to a few terribly inferior wineries and killed a potentially vibrant industry. One of the most tragic mistakes in recent history. The fact that it is not being corrected says alot about the lack of creativity in the current administration, and the amount of money customs is earning on this foolishness. Most invoices are falsified to get around this. But, the good wines are not being imported. The wines I see on lists here for 1500 baht are $4 at wine shops in LA. The wines I see for 3,000 baht are $12-15 in LA. A lost opportunity for the govt. to earn billions and elevate the country to a more prestigious level in the process. Sometimes, the lack of vision here is simply stunning.

I understand all the issues raised as I plod through the thread at page 5 atm.

If not stated already can someone provide a Thai address so we can write to the minister.

I like visiting Thailand and usually stay at least a month but would always stay around 3 months if it was simple.

I have flown to Phuket stayed for 30 days then flown through Kuala Lumpur directly to Bangkok for another 30 days. I would not be game to attempt that now with the tightening of the repeat entries.

We have purchased a 3 month visa in the past for my wife and I but look at it as really just a two month visa as we need to go to immigration to validate the last month so of course we cut it short and go to Malaysia for the last part of our holiday.

I do sympathize with those expats having to jump through hoops every month or two.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I cannot see why people are discussing retirement visas. In case those posters had not noticed, retirees are not tourists.

The other reason of course is that tourists don't stay long because they've been here.

It makes no difference. The truth is that Thailand needs foreign money, retirees, long or short term tourists.

Therefore rather than waste efforts and build resentment by discussing 'quality' tourists. Why not concentrate on 'quality' hosting?

Because that would require introspection, and self analysis. That would also require looking within for the source of the problem, and making an admission that maybe the problem is not from the outside. Absorbing blame, rather than deflecting. Mature people do that. People who are well developed emotionally, and not hindered by ridiculous, immature, antiquated qualities like trying to maintain "face", the single most cowardly, and least productive thing a person can do, in their lifetimes. Face is the opposite of self improvement, and hinders anything and everything that gets in its ugly, silly, churlish little way. There are so many things that hotel and restaurant owners can do to improve service and make customers more comfortable. A single thing that comes to mind, is for restaurants nationwide to stop charging for drinking water. 20 liter bottles cost 25-35 baht each. So, provide customers with free, clean drinking water, for well under a baht for a large glass. It would save hundreds of millions of plastic bottles annually, and improve the ecology in the country, in the process, and make meals a bit more economical. I realize some will say they would not want to give up the huge profits charged for water. But, an improved experience leads to more business. It is what some of us might refer to as "long term vision", or business strategy.

The problem with ideas like this one, is they require progressive thinking, and coming up with unconventional and creative ideas. And that is not what seems to be taught within the Thai family network, nor within the Thai educational system. So, the people are being held back by their own upbringing and education, and the small boxes many live within. Improvement may come, eventually. But, it will be forced upon the hospitality industry, by outside forces like dramatically decreased occupancy rates, or losing massive amounts of tourism to neighboring countries.

If not stated already can someone provide a Thai address so we can write to the minister.

Sorry, but there's no feedback or constructive criticism permitted here, and certainly not from the likes of any foreigner. The Powers That Be know what's best and their decisions mustn't be questioned.

Yes I have found the Department address so I will write a letter.

I realise that I may be wasting my time but I would love to have longer visa exempt access to Thailand for longer holidays.

While it is restrictive I will just go elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

I cannot see why people are discussing retirement visas. In case those posters had not noticed, retirees are not tourists.

The other reason of course is that tourists don't stay long because they've been here.

Again. We are ALL tourists. Retiree/Expat/Marital status are not recognized. Having to extend your EXTENSION OF STAY for whatever reason, should give you a clue. Compounded by the 90 day Parole.

Most of us were tourists.

But now since we have become expats and staying longer and spending LOTS of money we all of a sudden become gost guests with absolutely no rights and even less attention.

Madame finds herself on dangerous terrain with this bullshit.

better she go home and stay there.

That's because we're STILL 'tourists', whatever upgraded status you delude yourself with having.

We have people here from many different countries. Maybe we could offer up some suggestions based on what attracts tourists to our home countries. Does Thailand have any museums? I used to live a few blocks from the Smithsonian in Washington DC and that is always a huge tourist draw.

Nope. Nor Theaters, art galleries, concert halls. Lots of tart bars though. Which the 'new tourists' don't frequent. Hence the flailing around for something else to flog them.

Maybe make retirement visas easier if you buy a condo or house. Once you have proof of transfer of a minimum amount of funds and the Chanote, then Immigration would issue a 5 year multiple entry retirement Visa valid so long as you continue to own the property. Renewable after 5 years with continued ownership.

This would encourage more foreigner to buy property, stay longer and spend a lot more money than one week tourists on package holidays buying a few souveniers

Getting tourists to stay longer is a good idea but it may be limited by the amount of time the tourists can take off work. Most people don't want to go back to work but have to. Persuading them to return the following year would seem to have more chance of working.

Making it easier for those who want to live here is also going to have a more long term affect.

So many people giving their opinion here this thread can go on for months but I read a few and agree with some opinions. Mine of course being the Chinese definitely are the major Tourist BUT they don't spend money and we all know this... They only spend money on the bus company and hotels and that is IT.....so NOT even worth mentioning them as a income for the Thai people.

The other opinion I read which makes the most sense is by issuing 5 year multiple visas to those buying a freehold property in Thailand.... These are the people with the money with will spend more time in Thailand and spend money here.....bust as a condo owner myself and same as many of you guys we have to face the Visa bullshit all the time if you want to stay in your own condo for a few months which causes inconvenience and more money, money we could have spend within the local community.

If they want people to stay and spend money they have to start by identifying the people who has money to spend in Thailand ( not talking about cheap Chinese tourist ) and make it more attractive for these people to buy property and spend their time and money here....by of course changing the Visa system for these individuals.

I hope they really do some real homework on this and realize their looking in the wrong market for people to stay longer and spend their money...