Advice on internet options in Bangkok

Hornyskunk

Howdy y'all

I'm looking for advice on what internet package to purchase for a new condo. I've finally got decent contracts after 6 months in a studio apartment and am moving into my new condo in a little more than a week.

If you're knowledgeable on the subject, please advise. I'd like to spend less than 2000 baht per month, if possible, but would pay more for quality. Thanks in advance!

What I'm looking for:

- Fiber/cable; something more reliable than DSL for PC gaming during peak hours and bad weather

- High bandwidth; enough for up to 8 devices simultaneously

- High speed; downloading > 16mbit/s, uploading > 4mbit/s

- Does not block or limit torrent traffic

- Fewer connections to reach the US is desirable; I might subscribe to a vpn service provider

Some basic facts:

- My dark-haired dictionary translated that most other tenants use True

- I know for certain that True and ToT service the condo; uncertain on other ISPs

- The building is a high-rise near downtown Bangkok built within the last 2 years

- Does not block or limit torrent traffic

Might be the critical point.

This recent thread might interest you:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/813400-new-true-online-censorship/

(there are repeated complaints about throttling/blocking of certain traffic in the forum)

I am a satisifed user of ToT fibre (30/3), but neither I live in Bangkok nor do I use torrents.

I would surely prefer fibre to the home(condo) if available.

My last internet test with http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/ from end of March gave me:

Network performance (?): Latency: 280 ms, Loss: 1.0% +

TCP connection setup latency (?): 370ms

Network bandwidth (?): Upload 2.7 Mbit/s, Download 17 Mbit/s

to US west coast. I can't garantuee you whether a faster package would give you more bandwidth to the US.

Companies advertise(!) up to 200 MBit/s and even 1000 MBit/s.

netalyzr is the only test I trust in and use regularly. There is much fake out there (like "xx ms" ping times to the US or Europe biggrin.png ).

Edited by KhunBENQ

I am a satisifed user of ToT fibre (30/3), but neither I live in Bangkok nor do I use torrents.

Do you mind me asking how much you pay for this? I can use a vpn service to get around torrent throttling/blocking.

The latency suggests that I won't be able to game with friends back home, but I haven't been able to do that since coming to Thailand anyway. According to the packet loss and bandwidth, though, it should be ok for me to torrent and stream from the US, which is probably more important.

ToT fibre2U, 30/3 for 1284 Baht (tax included), advertised for 1200 Baht.

(all advertised internet prices in Thailand do not incl. tax)

Higher speeds are available.

But just can't find the price list on the net whistling.gif

They are very grasping with the upload rates.

A 35/5 costs 1800 plus tax.

Edited by KhunBENQ

If every thai in your condo uses True, you can relax and use True aswell. You will be sharing international bandwidth with few or none other users in your building (That is a good thing). Thai users use facebook, youtube and some domestic websites only.

Thai users use facebook, youtube and some domestic websites only.

Indeed, some might be surprised, but all of Google incl. youtube, Facebook and Microsoft (Update etc.) are mirrored in Thailand or Singapur.

Usually very fast.

And there is much more other content that is managed by Akaimai e.g. which mirrors content worldwide.

A recent example I saw from a thread about Sydney Morning Herald (www.smh.com.au) which content is obviously mirrored in Thailand (by Akamai).

OP,

Have you asked your Condo management if they have preclusion on who can provide services?

Many have to sign exclusives to even get service (re: Cable, Telco, Internet).

Also, ask some of the other owners/renters what service they have, how they like it, what issues they have.

I use True Online for 4 years in Wattana near Ekamai in a condo. The True line box is in the garage.

Pay for 10/2 and get something close most of the time. Occasionally I cannot stream above 360 kbs/s on Youtube or other sites, in USA.

Have had problems, outages, etc. Most of the time they come to change the coupling of the line either in my condo or outside at a box on road. The reason is "noise" and so does not always show in speed tests they use but does present as problems when using bandwith.

I got a call just yesterday from True offering to upgrade me from 699/ month to 799/month for a year contract that would include 30/4 speeds, PLUS True visions (I don't know what channels), plus one True mobile SIM card with some usage plan. For me, the speed increase would be worth the extra money and I don't mind if they want to put the T Vision box in the living room... the wife might like something on it. They encouraged me to see the True website for details. The conversation was in Thai and I would expect the site to be in Thai as well.

hope this helps...

True for sure limits torrents. I go on VPN and it jumps to 1MB/s I get off VPN it goes to 10KB/s :P

And other then the weekly TV series and 1-2 movies per week I don't really download that much.

Also lately it keeps happening I can't open websites for 10-20-30minutes then all goes back to normal. Annoying.

I am thinking about switching to 50/20 Package with AIS fibre but not certain yet as I haven't read many reviews.

I asked AIS about it and they said there are no limits on torrents or fair use policies on this speed but obviously there are some as I doubt they would be ok with me doing constant full speed downloads.

Thanks for all the useful replies!

My girlfriend and I both work full-time so we don't have much time together, but this weekend we'll compare packages from True, ToT and make some calls to see if the building can get AIS fiber.

This is completely off-topic, but does anyone know how to get a True black card? I think its based on spending some amount per month with True. It would sure make the girlfriend and her sister happy to not have to fight over one card.