Bangkok cop gets 20 years for killing a military policeman

webfact

Prachachuen cop gets 20 years for killing a military policeman

6-7-2558-18-40-491-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK -- The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the 20-year jailterm imposed on a police officer who shot dead a military police officer after a heated argument.

The incident took place on March 11, 2008 when two plainclothes policemen of Prachachuen police station, Pol Sgt Prasart Chanthima and Pol Sgt Poravit Chongpitakpong, made an arrest of a vendor selling pirated CDs.

A military policeman, L/Cpl Chaivuth Prasomsri, saw the incident and tried to intervene as he suspected that the two raiders might not be real policemen because they did not wear police uniforms.

The two sides broke into heated arguments and Pol Sgt Prasart, apparently in a fit of anger, pulled out his service pistol and shot dead Chaivuth. The two policemen were later arrested and prosecuted.

The Criminal Court condemned Prasart to death but acquitted Poravit. Prasart appealed against the verdict claiming that he acted in self-defense but the Appeal Court rejected the self-defense excuse reduced the sentence to 20 years’ imprisonment.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prachachuen-cop-gets-20-years-for-killing-a-military-policeman

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-09

Police here have carte blanche to kill anybody they want and get away with it but they need to remember, Army > Police. Kill a soldier and you will be punished for it.

Many countries police forces world wide seem to get away with murder, not just Thailand

It takes seven years, to get an conviction? No hope for this country!

You may want to reread the article.

This was the final appeal to the Supreme Court.

First sentence was death. Appeals court reduced it to 20 years. Supreme Court upheld the appeals court decision?

Edited by jdinasia

Become a nun for a month and cry a bit and you seem to get off killing police in Thailand.

Sgt Prasart should give it a crack..

He ain't got one. Maybe a "shot". Nah, that what got him into this. "Try" might work if he could understand the rules of rugger.

Become a nun for a month and cry a bit and you seem to get off killing police in Thailand.

Sgt Prasart should give it a crack..

give it a crack...they already been in his in bkk hilton hahahaha

It takes seven years, to get an conviction? No hope for this country!

I think this was just because of the review process in a death penalty case. It had to go through reviews in several courts. On the other hand I remember the case of Pol. Gen. Salang Bunnag who led a squad of police in arresting six alleged drug dealers in 1996. The accused were taken into the house where they were arrested, with their hands handcuffed behind their backs, in order to point out where the drugs were hidden. Soon gunshots were heard. The police officers claimed the six prisoners had tried to get their hands on weapons hidden in the house, while their hands were still cuffed behind their back. Pol. Gen. Salang said that he stood behind his men and accepted responsibility for the incident. He was eventually tried for murder. Years later I found a tiny mention on, like, page 28 of the Bangkok Post, that he had been acquitted. I think that was about 2004 or 5, so yes, a trial can take that long to complete. The best I have heard about was a case involving illegal sale of honors by people in the Royal Household Bureau. That took 25 years and was ended because the last defendant had died of old age. Prosecutors sometimes, when they really, really don't want to convict some high ranking person, will purposely drag the proceedings out for years.

What about Chawit's son that blasted the Sargent of the RTP and denied it. Was seen by many people, all were threatened and would not point a figure. The policemans wife was never complicated. I believe they were in the same night club in Bangkok and the police was headed to the bathroom and happened to bump the brat who shot the cop dead. Then it was blamed on a body guard. Total B.S. Same as these young Myanmar boys being blamed for the murders of the 2 Brits last March.

Police here have carte blanche to kill anybody they want and get away with it but they need to remember, Army > Police. Kill a soldier and you will be punished for it.

Many countries police forces world wide seem to get away with murder, not just Thailand

America! America! God shed his grace on thee...............(From song America the Beautiful)

I love the self defence shit they come out with. like the student who shot another gang student on a bus while he was walking along the path was because, the one on the bus showed him a knife through the bus window, so he produced his gun and shot him, then said it was in self defence. only in Thailand