Help, my (x) key is not working

Shot

^^Had to cut/paste that one. This started about a week ago, and it doesn't work with any keyboard, but will work if I use those keyboards on another PC. All other keys work, and that key also works with the on-screen keyboard. I have deleted and reloaded drivers. I haven't made any changes in software.

Any other ideas?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The letter between W and Y. If I broke my leg, I would go get an -ray. I'm using Win7 with an MS Ergo 4000. Well, two of them actually. Same problem with both. One is about 5 years old and the other new.

Edited by Shot

Go to control panel >>clocks,language, region>>Change keyboards or other input methods.

I would change to one of the other English language formats there are several to choose from. See if the x works on that format then switch back to the original. I'm guessing US English.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-keyboard-layout#1TC=windows-7

If that doesn't work add the on-screen keyboard to your taskbar so you have easy access to it.

Edited by Pakaty

^^ Thanks, gave that a try, but no luck. Man, I thought that was it for sure. Oh well, worth a try. Thanks again.

I have to get this fi*ed because I do some medical translation work. Yes, to the work permit police, it's all legal with proper documents.

I would hate to buy a new computer for what seems like a simple problem, but obviously not.

Any other thoughts....anyone?

I think the OP is saying that something is intercepting the <x> keystroke input on his PC. (The same external keyboards work on other PCs fine)

OP, are you running any utility software that allows 'shortcuts' or speed entry?

Try a System Restore to a time before it went wrong.

That was my last resort, but I think I am there at this point.

I appreciate all the help, and will report back after restore.

Thank you everyone

I think the OP is saying that something is intercepting the <x> keystroke input on his PC. (The same external keyboards work on other PCs fine)

OP, are you running any utility software that allows 'shortcuts' or speed entry?

I have in the past, but not at this time. The last time I ran anything like that was probably a few year ago.

excellent question considering that is very common in MT

Edited by Shot

you say you are using 2 keyboards.

take the batteries out of one and try the other

if that works take the batteries out and try the one you did not.

if both do not work the problem is inside the computer.

If one works it may indicate that you have a stuck key or something wrong with one keyboard which is affecting it.

Obtain another keyboard (USB) and try that.

Also see what you get when you type shift X

you say you are using 2 keyboards.

take the batteries out of one and try the other

if that works take the batteries out and try the one you did not.

if both do not work the problem is inside the computer.

If one works it may indicate that you have a stuck key or something wrong with one keyboard which is affecting it.

Obtain another keyboard (USB) and try that.

Also see what you get when you type shift X

Hello and thank you for your reply. One keyboard at a time and no batteries. They are MS Ergo 4000. I have two. One older, and one new. Problem same with both which makes me think PC problem, not keyboard problem.

Do you have Microsoft IntelliType Installed? If so what version?

Or Windows Mouse & Keyboard Center.

Does your PC have special Media Keys, WiFi/Bluetooth Keys, or other Fn Function utility running in the background.

What happens when you boot into SAFE MODE?

Also... If the machine worked just a few days ago, easy to do what Crossy recommended, do a System Restore (Control Panel -> Recovery)

Fairly non-destructive/safe.

Edited by RichCor

Windows uses a lookup table to determine what the key you press should be. Is it possible that the lookup for 'x' has been deleted?

Search for a utility program called KeyTweak. It will allow you to assign/reassign the values in the lookup table.

Edited by WhizBang

Just jumping on the band-wagon and muddying the waters, I have a similar mystifying problem. When I first start using my computer in the morning, the ' (apostrophe) key doesn't work until I press it again. Until I do this, my @ key comes up as an apostrophe. I bought a new keyboard but the problem persists. It's not keeping me awake at night & I now automatically type ' twice. I'm just curious as to how this can happen?

My copy of Windows is probably not genuine but it worked OK in the past for several years.

From dell....not much new but it reminds me...when you changed input languages did you change the keyboard layout too? The other stupid question is what happens if you change the font.

there may be a problem with the font you are using.

The Keyboard Outputs Incorrect Characters

1. Change the Keyboard Language Setting in Windows.

For Windows 8, refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article, Change your language or keyboard iC_External_Link_BD_v1.jpg
    For Windows 7, refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article, Add or change an input language iC_External_Link_BD_v1.jpg
    For Windows Vista, refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article, Add an input language iC_External_Link_BD_v1.jpg

For Windows XP:
    1. Click Start and then Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel, if you are in Category View, click on Switch to Classic View (top left corner)
    3. Open Regional and Language Options.
    4. Click on the Languages tab.
    5. Under Text services and input languages, click on the Details button.
    6. Under Installed services, click Add.
    7. In the Add Input Language dialog box, choose the input language and keyboard layout or Input Method Editor (IME) you want to add.
    8. Click OK twice. You should now see a language indicator in the System Tray (located at bottom right hand corner of the desktop by default). You can switch between different input languages (= keyboard languages) by pressing the Alt + Shift keys.
Edited by harrry

What does Task Manager say you're running for processes (right-click taskbar or clock in system tray).

Anything to do with the keyboard, or hook?

Itype and Ipoint are the only keyboard/mouse related processes. I have it a good look and everything in task manager looks right.

Thanks

From dell....not much new but it reminds me...when you changed input languages did you change the keyboard layout too? The other stupid question is what happens if you change the font.

there may be a problem with the font you are using.

The Keyboard Outputs Incorrect Characters

1. Change the Keyboard Language Setting in Windows.

For Windows 8, refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article, Change your language or keyboard iC_External_Link_BD_v1.jpg

For Windows 7, refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article, Add or change an input language iC_External_Link_BD_v1.jpg

For Windows Vista, refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article, Add an input language iC_External_Link_BD_v1.jpg

For Windows XP:

1. Click Start and then Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel, if you are in Category View, click on Switch to Classic View (top left corner)
    3. Open Regional and Language Options.
    4. Click on the Languages tab.
    5. Under Text services and input languages, click on the Details button.
    6. Under Installed services, click Add.
    7. In the Add Input Language dialog box, choose the input language and keyboard layout or Input Method Editor (IME) you want to add.
    8. Click OK twice. You should now see a language indicator in the System Tray (located at bottom right hand corner of the desktop by default). You can switch between different input languages (= keyboard languages) by pressing the Alt + Shift keys.

Thanks for your post. Yes, I tried this but no luck.

Thanks again.

Hi everyone. I appreciate all the help. This is truly a strange problem.

I re-ran Malwarebytes and Spybot, but turned up nothing. I then did a restore. Most of the points were within the past week, so I went back a month. I may not have been aware of this problem much earlier on, possibly because I just didn't use that key. So, the restore to the earliest point available did not relieve the problem.