'Magnum P.I.' star Tom Selleck 'stole water for ranch'

webfact

Tom Selleck, water district reach tentative settlement

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Tom Selleck has reached a tentative settlement in a lawsuit that claims he stole truckloads of water from a public hydrant and took it to his ranch in drought-stricken California.

The "Magnum, P.I." star was sued by the Calleguas Municipal Water District in Ventura County.

District resource manager Eric Bergh confirms Thursday that an agreement was reached but says he can't provide details until it's approved.

It goes before the district's board next Wednesday.

The suit claims a tanker truck filled up at a hydrant and hauled water to Selleck's 60-acre ranch in Westlake Village more than a dozen times in the past two years.

The district says it spent nearly $22,000 for a private detective to investigate.

A representative for Selleck didn't immediately return a request for comment.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-10

Another rich <deleted> in California who wants grass so his estate looks like it's in England. So what if he's out of touch with reality? Maybe he can run for President on the Republican ticket. Being a selfish, greedy <deleted> is considered an advantage there...

Another rich <deleted> in California who wants grass so his estate looks like it's in England. So what if he's out of touch with reality? Maybe he can run for President on the Republican ticket. Being a selfish, greedy <deleted> is considered an advantage there...

Yeap, the rich thinking they can do anything with impunity....same the world over. The thing is, the guy committed robbery yet can do a "settlement." I guess when you're a rich celeb in the USA, you don't have to even bother with getting arrested and going to court/prison.

Yeap, the rich thinking they can do anything with impunity....same the world over. The thing is, the guy committed robbery yet can do a "settlement." I guess when you're a rich celeb in the USA, you don't have to even bother with getting arrested and going to court/prison.

Much more likely scenario was that he had nothing to do with any theft.

He probably called someone who advertised water delivery and paid them to do just that. A typical journalist would ignore the fact that it was someone else that stole the water and use the name of someone that was well known.

I must be famous. I grew up around the corner from his family. One of his younger brothers was my coach in little league and the youngest was the pianist in a band we had in 7th grade. His sister was the girl friend to one of my good friends in high school. She was quite nice as was all the family. I never met Tom as he was a bit older than the rest. So much for reminiscing. I'm sure no one here cares.

So, the poor don't commit robbery?

So, the poor don't commit robbery?

What?? The point is a poor guy committing a robbery wouldn't be able to get off so easily.

He probably called someone who advertised water delivery and paid them to do just that. A typical journalist would ignore the fact that it was someone else that stole the water and use the name of someone that was well known.

Well if that were the case, there wouldn't be any need for him to have to settle with the authorities. But it appears he has admitted wrongdoing (after getting caught red-handed of course).

Tip for them ...padlock at $1.99!!!

Tip for you .... a cheap padlock is easily broken.

In which case it's a clear cut case of theft. No!

Some people will take the water believing it to be OK as it's open. With a padlock it would obviously be theft!

Well if that were the case, there wouldn't be any need for him to have to settle with the authorities. But it appears he has admitted wrongdoing (after getting caught red-handed of course).

The story is about a lawsuit not about criminal charges.

Here is the statement from the authorities:

"The Ventura County Sheriff's Department investigated the allegations but was unable to establish that a crime had taken place, Capt. John Reilly said on Wednesday."

our drinking water on the farm was rain water caught and stured in a ciswtern. in drought years the cisten supply was depleted by june so we hauled water via a tank on the farm truck and filled the cistern . this process was repeated aas required. our source was a water hyydrant conected to city water system near a pumping station.

a clipboard was hun on a pole and you could write down name each loaq you picked up and a final accounting may or may not be made, depended if clipboard survived the wear and tear. you might have a couple dozen farmers in same situation. there was no metering until several years later a cityfied accountant had one installed as tanks varied in size, trips, etc.

the tanker numbers and time frame (2 years) would not handle much of a lawn area in california heat, lots of questions , use, amount in total, etcsounds like our citified afccountant wanting to be in charge of something for a time and he went after the big name as news reporters would follow.. maybe publicity to run for county assayer????