"iCare": Good Apple Service Has Arrived in Thailand

nikster

Apple generally has amazing service, but in the past, some resellers here didn't really live up to that. I've had lots of bad experiences with a provider who shall remain unnamed here.

Luckily, there now is iCare. I went to the shop in Central Airport Chiang Mai with a 3 year old retina MacBook Pro. The three year extended warranty was about to expire so I wanted to get it fixed up before that. Issues:

- Stuck pixels on the screen. Said unnamed provider had previously refused to service it and told the Singapore staff that it looked like there was "physical damage". Basically lying so he didn't have to service it... oh well.

- "A" key looked damaged, middle of the letter had disappeared. I guess just from heavy use?

- Battery at 77% design capacity. No wonder after three years and more than 700 load cycles, but Apple guarantees it to be over 80% so I thought why not do that too.

After a short wait a very friendly lady looked at the computer. She said the screen would definitely be replaced, keyboard and battery they'd have to look into. The technician said they'd have to keep it for 2 weeks. I had already arranged to borrow a friend's computer so that was OK with me.

Then she wanted my account password. My drive is encrypted and I didn't want to give her access to all my data. She asked the tech, and he said he didn't need the password. So, no password.

Three days later I get a call: Ready for pick-up!

Replaced: Screen, keyboard, and battery. As luck would have it, replacing the screen actually replaces the entire top case, and replacing the keyboard replaces the entire bottom case. So I have a brand new laptop. My data was left alone too.

So this is iCare.

Compared to an official Apple store in Berkeley which I tried last year, this was better. Berkeley wouldn't even see me without appointment, and they also said it would probably take a week to fix (if they accepted it)

Compared to the old unnamed shop... wow. This is heaven!

I am not normally a negative poster

Apple service in North east Thailand, Khon Kaen stinks and is non existent

I recently bought an iMac 27, the new mac book, the time capsule and airport extreme, not an insignificant spend, I also have an iPad a mini iPad and apple TV , telephone support has been awful I have tried Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, Idaho, California

I go to the apple shop in KhonKean and they say they are only sales and do not have the knowledge to configure it all into one mini network

I was assured in writing before buying all support would be forthcoming

The apple iMac and mac book as stand alone products are wonderful, the Time capsule and airport extreme (Many people do not know these products) should be avoided there are far better non apple alternatives, one problem can not envelope under VPN

My remedies are limited the legal one expensive and counter productive in this part of the world

I AM STILL LOOKING FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT IN KHON KAEN AND WILL HAPPILY PAY

I made an expensive mistake buying Apple not because the product is no good BUT BECAUSE THER IS NO PROPER SUPPORT IN ALL NORTH EAST THAILAND

Maybe should be compared to some women looks good but promises full of S***t

May I request the negative posters to offer a solution rather than just criticising my observations, if I ever get it all up and running properly I will advise every one accordingly, I am nearly three months into the problem

Maybe the Apple ways of the west are spreading to Thailand.

I dropped my iPhone 6 and shattered the screen, made my requisite appointment with the Apple Store, they backed up my phone for safety, replaced my screen and handed me back my phone and invoice in one hour.

If I have a simple operational problem, I just walk in and one of the many, very knowledgable floor staff bail me out.

There's only one other company that I know of in Canada that gives service like that !

Samsung service is terrible. I could not make calls with my Galaxy mega. And the screen showed no Sim card. I took it to the Samsung office where there was a large queue and eventually they took the phone and told me that they would phone me back. They did not do this so I went again to their office and after another long queue and wait. They told me that they would have to replace the Sim card holder but it would cost me 3500 baht. I asked them why they didn't phone me and tell me this and they just shrugged his shoulders. I refused to pay the amount and took the phone back.
I popped into a small mobile phone shop and they replaced the Sim card holder for 800 baht. And of course the phone is now working.
How can Sampson get away with doing this sort of thing.

How very fortunate you have been. iCare service from experience is appalling and I am still facing an ongoing struggle with them to replace a defective screen under warranty. Having been in contact through Singapore with senior support staff in Australia, USA, Philippines and Singapore there is no progress other than that they are dealing with a barrage of complaints about service in Thailand. Their latest suggestion is to go to either Hong Kong or Singapore as they can't provide service in Thailand. Absolutely brilliant. At the end of the day there is clearly significant risk in buying Apple products in Thailand unless you are prepared to think of it as a disposable item.

How very fortunate you have been. iCare service from experience is appalling and I am still facing an ongoing struggle with them to replace a defective screen under warranty. Having been in contact through Singapore with senior support staff in Australia, USA, Philippines and Singapore there is no progress other than that they are dealing with a barrage of complaints about service in Thailand. Their latest suggestion is to go to either Hong Kong or Singapore as they can't provide service in Thailand. Absolutely brilliant. At the end of the day there is clearly significant risk in buying Apple products in Thailand unless you are prepared to think of it as a disposable item.

Thank you so much, Apple make me feel the bad one with all my complaints, they have not even acknowledged to me they have service problems hare in Thailand, I have two separate promises in writing to send me service from Apple and nothing happens

I even wrote to Tim Cook CEO and despite advising him I held $250,000 of their stock got no response

Please all Apple users with complaints post them here and maybe we get Apple to address the problem

Do not be like the Thai no complain, my friends had his air conditioner serviced and it was leaking after the service his wife just wanted to put a bowl on the bed where it was leaking and collect the water, she got mad at him when he insisted in getting the engineers back to finish the job he had just paid them for

Remember a satisfied customer tells 2/3 if lucky, a dissatisfied one tells maybe 30, we need to tell the world

Happy to hear you good-news story. Re. the service in Berkeley: What at outrage that they require you to make an appointment ... even though they're much busier than in Chiang Mai ... and that they said it'd take two weeks one week to fix your computer.

If you live in Thailand, the risk of buying Apple products in another country is higher. I bought an iPhone 6 in the USA (a friend bought it for me). I had to ship it back to the US to get it replaced under warranty. It was over 2000 baht to send it back via DHL. Luckily he was coming over and I didn't have to have it shipped back, which could have been problematic with customs in Thailand and expensive. You really don't want to be shipping phones (or other products) to other countries to have them serviced under warranty. You cannot ship them directly to an Apple service centre - they have to be presented in person - so if you don't have a friend in that other country you have to go there in person.

IMO, unless you live in a country which has great Apple service and you can easily just drop it off for repairs, you're taking a significant risk buying any Apple products, especially if you consider the high price you pay for them.

If you live in Thailand, the risk of buying Apple products in another country is higher. I bought an iPhone 6 in the USA (a friend bought it for me). I had to ship it back to the US to get it replaced under warranty. It was over 2000 baht to send it back via DHL. Luckily he was coming over and I didn't have to have it shipped back, which could have been problematic with customs in Thailand and expensive. You really don't want to be shipping phones (or other products) to other countries to have them serviced under warranty. You cannot ship them directly to an Apple service centre - they have to be presented in person - so if you don't have a friend in that other country you have to go there in person.

IMO, unless you live in a country which has great Apple service and you can easily just drop it off for repairs, you're taking a significant risk buying any Apple products, especially if you consider the high price you pay for them.

Regarding service centers in Thailand, where does one bring an Apple product for service if you live in Pattaya. 5 hours on buses and running around Bangkok all day (maybe twice if I have to leave it there - so 10 hours on buses) is not an adequate solution, so please don't suggest Bangkok. I go there once a year to visit my embassy, and that's enough.

Check the pinned thread - the nearest iCare to Pattaya is in Chonburi, not Bangkok

Check the pinned thread - the nearest iCare to Pattaya is in Chonburi, not Bangkok

Thanks! I've edited my post above, taking out the request about service centres close to Pattaya, as it has been well covered in the pinned topic.

Chonburi Central Plaza (is this the location?) is about half way to Bangkok, which is still ridiculous if you consider the size of Pattaya and that every Tom, Dick & Harry in Pattaya seems to own an iPhone or iPad.

Is there no place in Pattaya where one can drop off a product to be sent somewhere for repair?

I worked at Apple in Cupertino for 11 years. Applications engineering group, iTunes team.

So you want to create one network, and have the Time Capsule and Airport Express serve up wifi for the same network? How far have you gotten with that?

Time Capsule is a wonderful device because in addition to being a wireless router, you can also back up to it via Time Machine. I use one myself. It would be great if you could get it running to take full advantage of the functionality!

Let me know if can be of any help.

I go to the apple shop in KhonKean and they say they are only sales and do not have the knowledge to configure it all into one mini network

The apple iMac and mac book as stand alone products are wonderful, the Time capsule and airport extreme (Many people do not know these products) should be avoided there are far better non apple alternatives, one problem can not envelope under VPN

My remedies are limited the legal one expensive and counter productive in this part of the world

I worked at Apple in Cupertino for 11 years. Applications engineering group, iTunes team.

So you want to create one network, and have the Time Capsule and Airport Express serve up wifi for the same network? How far have you gotten with that?

Time Capsule is a wonderful device because in addition to being a wireless router, you can also back up to it via Time Machine. I use one myself. It would be great if you could get it running to take full advantage of the functionality!

You're understating the benefits of a Time Capsule. I back up 4 windows computers to it in addition to my Mac Air. You will need to find the right back up program for your Windows computers to "see" it. Genie Timeline has a really good one and free for basic functionality.

Recently my four year old MacBook Pro stopped starting up, after numerous tests I came to the conclusion that there was some sort of hardware issue. So I took it to our local Apple Authorised Service Centre here in Ratchaburi. As I had never taken out AppleCare on it it was long out of warranty but I asked them if they could check it out and give me a price. They told me they would have to send it to Bangkok and it could take up to two weeks, no problem I said. A week later they called to say that it was ready for collection, when I asked how much it would cost me they said, nothing all work was covered by Apple. It turned out they had replaced the whole motherboard with a new one, and it is now working perfect. I have been using Apple products for 25 years and they still keep surprising me with their service.

Don't recommend iCare Chonburi. Horrendous. Rude and incompetent.

Which one? The one in Tukcom or Central? I used the one in Central before to have my MB pro repaired, no probs with the staff.

Always better to call Singapore first and they will give you a case number. When I got to iCare the guy knew what my problem was.

Problem was with Central one. Case open already but they really didn't care. And I actually recovered my device out of the workshop for fear of any more issues. Zero confidence, Apple say that they have no control over the service in Thailand and are aware that it is sadly lacking. They do not carry any spares and ship on a job by job basis from Hong Kong, Singapore or China. Surely if they are aware of the problems they should do something about it! In the short term why not courier to and from the customer to a competent service location? Anyway the saga will go on no doubt.

Which one? The one in Tukcom or Central? I used the one in Central before to have my MB pro repaired, no probs with the staff.

Always better to call Singapore first and they will give you a case number. When I got to iCare the guy knew what my problem was.

This is totally absurd: "call Singapore first"? A whole nation of Apple users should call Singapore to discuss repairs. I'd rather not apologize for Apple's total incompetence here. Apple should get their a** into gear and do something about it. It's surprising there's such a loyal following here - Apple doesn't deserve it. I think most people are forgetting that Apple products are more expensive than most others and there shouldn't be any excuse for this pathetic customer service.

If my Sony goes on the blink I just bring it to a service center a couple of kilometers away. When my Compaq needed a new screen a serviceman came to my house to change it. These laptops cost about half the price of similar Apple products.

You can't take the batteries out their laptops (Air), iPads and iPhones, so sooner or later they will need replacing, which means we all will need to deal with these incompetent service centers sooner or later.

For some reason Apple always seems to escape the consequences of mediocrity. Things do go wrong with their products and more than most people realise. I have many examples, but this post is long enough already.smile.png

This is totally absurd: "call Singapore first"? A whole nation of Apple users should call Singapore to discuss repairs. I'd rather not apologize for Apple's total incompetence here. Apple should get their a** into gear and do something about it. It's surprising there's such a loyal following here - Apple doesn't deserve it. I think most people are forgetting that Apple products are more expensive than most others and there shouldn't be any excuse for this pathetic customer service.

If my Sony goes on the blink I just bring it to a service center a couple of kilometers away. When my Compaq needed a new screen a serviceman came to my house to change it. These laptops cost about half the price of similar Apple products.

You can't take the batteries out their laptops (Air), iPads and iPhones, so sooner or later they will need replacing, which means we all will need to deal with these incompetent service centers sooner or later.

For some reason Apple always seems to escape the consequences of mediocrity. Things do go wrong with their products and more than most people realise. I have many examples, but this post is long enough already.smile.png

I'm not defending Apple at all. Part of the apple care process is being able to call them on the phone for help. A lot quicker than jumping in the car and driving to the service centre, which might not be necessary in some cases.

The guy on the other end of the phone will try and work out what could be wrong and then gives you a case number, so that by the time you get to the service centre it is registered.

I'm not defending Apple at all. Part of the apple care process is being able to call them on the phone for help. A lot quicker than jumping in the car and driving to the service centre, which might not be necessary in some cases.

The guy on the other end of the phone will try and work out what could be wrong and then gives you a case number, so that by the time you get to the service centre it is registered.

I appreciate the advice you've given here about calling Singapore, and I'll be doing that too if I need repair. I was just venting about customer service in general.... and the annoyance of having to travel over 100 km round trip (or probably 200 km if I have to pick it up another day) to visit a service centre. All other major manufacturers have service centers in Pattaya or nearby.

Believe it or not I am a great fan of Apple, just so very very frustrated i am unable to get local hands on support

I believe with the help of My TOT engineer (fibre optic cable provider) after a couple of days backwards and forwards, we have the wifi working across an area of around 350 meters, and an iPad can move from one aerial to the other without re signing in, it is made more difficult I do not speak thai and the TOT man does not speak english

I do not have all my devices connected properly so I believe

I also when travelling want to access my iMac 27 remotely from my new macbook

I want to use the time capsule to store all data , so in the case of the mini ipad with limited storage all and be accessed

I want all the system up and running to say 60% of its capabilities and without some hands on help it is going to be very difficult to achieve

I am not a computer man, but am aware of the overall picture

SURELY in KhonKaen which has a couple of apple branded stores there must be someone here who can assist, HOW DO I FIND THEM

Apple twice put in writing they were getting me an engineer but then just ignore me

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated, I believe any Apple employee of any reasonable understanding knows what I need and can achieve it

OP, there is also an iCare facility on the 2nd floor of Kad Suan Kaew shopping mall (opened as of about four months ago, I think.) Replaced an iPad for me.

Really? Where is that? As long as it's not MacCare / MacZone - those have caused me endless trouble. They're actually the reason I've had stuck pixels on my screen for over a year... iCare was apparently capitalizing on the lack of decent support up here in the north. Very clever.

The way iCare handled my case was basically the same as any Apple store in the USA (or I guess anywhere) would do: With the interest of the customer in mind first and foremost.

BTW I was not dissing the Berkeley Apple store at all. Apple stores in the USA have amazing service. What's new is that this level of service is now available in Thailand as well. I am not sure why they gave me such a long wait to fix estimate.

As for general Mac knowledge kind of things, I know a small independent shop in Chiang Mai for that, but none in east Thailand. The shop in Chiang Mai is called "Mac" (somewhat confusingly), and Kit, the owner, has a university degree in electronics engineering. Very smart and can fix anything, I go to him for all out of warranty issues.

• 2 weeks later...

As for general Mac knowledge kind of things, I know a small independent shop in Chiang Mai for that, but none in east Thailand. The shop in Chiang Mai is called "Mac" (somewhat confusingly), and Kit, the owner, has a university degree in electronics engineering. Very smart and can fix anything, I go to him for all out of warranty issues.

Do you mean the Mac Cafe up towards CMU on huay gaew road? If not, could you let me know where this chap is so i can use him? Thanks!

What's the difference between icare and the older mac service/repair places? I found the service center in gad suan kaew simply appalling about two years ago and will never go back again. If this icare are good in the airport plaza and in gad suan kaew then i'd like to feel more confident about them.

What's the difference between icare and the older mac service/repair places? I found the service center in gad suan kaew simply appalling about two years ago and will never go back again. If this icare are good in the airport plaza and in gad suan kaew then i'd like to feel more confident about them.

The iCare shops are authorised service providers. This is where you would go for a repair under warranty.

That KSK Mac Care place (Chiang Mai) was in action when I went there in Jan 2014 (iStudio in airport plaza sent me there). No one spoke any English, so I couldn't register the problem or even get Apple Care (my 1-year warranty was about to expire). They just gave me an international phone number that didn't work from any phones (landline, mobile or Skype) I tried. I went to an Apple reseller, and they couldn't get the number to work either, nor suggest an alternative!

I managed to get Apple Care just in time, thinking it might be useful in future.....

I have a Late 2012, Retina 13-inch. It's got the good old AR coating 'stain' problem: https://www.facebook.com/groups/607572909386595

Same as OP, it also has battery problems (down to about 60% capacity) AND the 'A' key has a large area in the middle where the black has completely worn away. The 'S' is going the same way. I'd be amazed if they agreed to repair the keyboard. Looks like wear and tear.

Gonna try there again soon. Oh joy!

Maybe the Apple ways of the west are spreading to Thailand.

I dropped my iPhone 6 and shattered the screen, made my requisite appointment with the Apple Store, they backed up my phone for safety, replaced my screen and handed me back my phone and invoice in one hour.

If I have a simple operational problem, I just walk in and one of the many, very knowledgable floor staff bail me out.

There's only one other company that I know of in Canada that gives service like that !

Interesting..

Would you please tell us where you bought your iPhone and where you took it for repairs.

I'm not aware of any Apple Store as yet in Thailand. Please help..

Is Apple offering Applecare service now for phones bought in Thailand. If true that's great news!

Archived