House-ownership and Tabian Baan issues

why marry in the first place ? love and marriage here is such a shame, these people cant love you like a farang woman would in the west, not that I would recommend that either. it all geared up here for the farang to always lose any of his investments or property

Edited by ChaJay

This is what I just did also expect on existing property.

In order to get a Unufruct you needed to get that from the owner. If it is your wife, which I expect, then she owns this property. Your Unufruct only allows you the right to live their and use this property as you choose. You could even rent it out or lease it out, if you found someone who you could do this with.

If your Unufruct is registered at the Land Titles Office, nobody should be able to put a lien on the property, like a mortgage. By law nobody should be able to kick you out of there even if your wife dies either. If you inherit this property after you wife's death then legally you would be requires to sell it in a certain time frame, as foreigners are not allowed to own land.

The only exception is of course through a Divorce, where this becomes part of the joint assets of the marriage. In this case you may have to sell it to split 50-50 or find another way to settle this. , .

And if you like to read more about the unufruct, or however this beast is called, you can do so at http://linkd.in/1LQ9xlK

Yes read the law book

You have no say in what the owner does with their land IE: Sell or Mortgage

Mine did not stop none of that

Now just lost 3,000,000 bht

why marry in the first place ? love and marriage here is such a shame, these people cant love you like a farang woman would in the west, not that I would recommend that either. it all geared up here for the farang to always lose any of his investments or property here

What a load of bullshit, probably based on your own pitiful experiences. You have insulted my wife, and indirectly me.

Let me assure you, we live in a colourful world, with an enormous variety of man and women (including Thai women). It says more about your colourless and fearful mind, when you talk about ' these people', then it says anything about the abilities of 'thai' woman to love like a 'farang' woman.

His opinion is valid. Why marry again at a certain age, makes no sense..don't know the culture, don't know the language, don't know the nuances of what's going on around you. You can experience all you have stated without marriage..plus throw in an age difference etc..so the odds are stacked against a happy healthy marriage....

why marry in the first place ? love and marriage here is such a shame, these people cant love you like a farang woman would in the west, not that I would recommend that either. it all geared up here for the farang to always lose any of his investments or property here

What a load of bullshit, probably based on your own pitiful experiences. You have insulted my wife, and indirectly me.

Let me assure you, we live in a colourful world, with an enormous variety of man and women (including Thai women). It says more about your colourless and fearful mind, when you talk about ' these people', then it says anything about the abilities of 'thai' woman to love like a 'farang' woman.

His opinion is valid. Why marry again at a certain age, makes no sense..don't know the culture, don't know the language, don't know the nuances of what's going on around you. You can experience all you have stated without marriage..plus throw in an age difference etc..so the odds are stacked against a happy healthy marriage....

Their is good and bad in everyone, no matter race. Sooner you work out your style and the style or man or woman connects with you on every level, happier you will be. Age is no Barrier just ignorant mindset.

You really need to understand significance of Cultural difference.

Why so negative.

Chay Jay;

I know the Tabian Ban says nothing about the ownership of the property. I am from The Netherlands, where the land and my property is registered on my name at the land registry office. I was curious to know if it works the same way here. And curious if the lady at the municipality was correct when telling me that my wife is going to be mentioned in the blue Tabian Ban as owner of the property...... not true and not desirable.

Let me ask more specific... Is there anyone who owns the house (separate from the land), with or without a Thai wife? And what exactly is mentioned in the blue Tabian Ban?

The Tabian Baan is merely a registration of address with the Amphur.

The names contained within are registered residents of that address (nothing to do with ownership)

Thais are named in a blue Tabian Baan

Foreigners are named in a yellow Tabian Baan.

The exceptions are a foreigner who buys a Condo. He will be issued a blue Tabian Baan, but his name cannot be registered within it. (Only a Thai can be listed in a blue Tabian Baan as the principal resident)

The foreign Condo owner can acquire a yellow Tabian Baan if he wishes to register himself as a resident of that address.

The other exception is a foreigner who has permanent residency (PR) status and married to a Thai can be added to his Thai wife's blue book as a secondary resident.

A Thai family can all be registered in one blue Tabian Baan, or each family member can have a separate book.

(Note: A Thai child cannot be issued an ID card until 7 years old, and cannot be issued a Tabian Baan in his own name until 15 years old)

There is no mention of ownership in a Tabian Baan, so the lady at the municipal office chose the wrong word.

What she should have said is your wife will be issued a blue Tabian Baan as the Thai principal resident and you should apply for a yellow Tabian Baan to register as a foreigner resident at that address.

Edited by Faz

As Faz said, it's principal resident/head of household.

There is no connection between this and who owns the property.

As an example, my wife's mum is the head of her household in the blue book, but the property belongs to my wife's brother.

Chay Jay;

I know the Tabian Ban says nothing about the ownership of the property. I am from The Netherlands, where the land and my property is registered on my name at the land registry office. I was curious to know if it works the same way here. And curious if the lady at the municipality was correct when telling me that my wife is going to be mentioned in the blue Tabian Ban as owner of the property...... not true and not desirable.

Let me ask more specific... Is there anyone who owns the house (separate from the land), with or without a Thai wife? And what exactly is mentioned in the blue Tabian Ban?

The Tabian Baan is merely a registration of address with the Amphur.

The names contained within are registered residents of that address (nothing to do with ownership)

Thais are named in a blue Tabian Baan

Foreigners are named in a yellow Tabian Baan.

The exceptions are a foreigner who buys a Condo. He will be issued a blue Tabian Baan, but his name cannot be registered within it. (Only a Thai can be listed in a blue Tabian Baan as the principal resident)

The foreign Condo owner can acquire a yellow Tabian Baan if he wishes to register himself as a resident of that address.

The other exception is a foreigner who has permanent residency (PR) status and married to a Thai can be added to his Thai wife's blue book as a secondary resident.

A Thai family can all be registered in one blue Tabian Baan, or each family member can have a separate book.

(Note: A Thai child cannot be issued an ID card until 7 years old, and cannot be issued a Tabian Baan in his own name until 15 years old)

There is no mention of ownership in a Tabian Baan, so the lady at the municipal office chose the wrong word.

What she should have said is your wife will be issued a blue Tabian Baan as the Thai principal resident and you should apply for a yellow Tabian Baan to register as a foreigner resident at that address.

Clear. Thanks a lot.

You might be right, you might be wrong. But I read the topics Catman20 started and understand where he is coming from........ bad experiences.

Edited by ChaJay