New (relatively) orange rental bike stands in Chiang Mai

ByblosYuNaiSoi

Hi,

Has anyone used the relatively new rental bike service? There are several stands around town; I have seen them at Suthep Road, Nimmanhemin, and Chiang Mai gate. The bicycles are orange.

I would love to hear about your experience, including ease of use (signing up and procedure), cost and quality of ride - can they adjust to a 5'10" (180 cm) farang?

Thanks

I come to Chiang Mai regularly and when I'm there I rent a bicycle from a shop in Chang Pheuk. it costs me 500 baht for 14 days which I think is pretty reasonable.

As I was cycling around I saw all these stands with orange bikes all over the place and stopped by to talk to a couple of girls at one of the stands about price.

They said its 100 baht per day or 20 baht for one hour.

I'm not sure who they are trying to target because there are so many places where you can rent a bicycle much cheaper than that .

Edited by Asiantravel

I come to Chiang Mai regularly and when I'm there I rent a bicycle from a shop in Chang Pheuk. it costs me 500 baht for 14 days which I think is pretty reasonable.

As I was cycling around I saw all these stands with orange bikes all over the place and stopped by to talk to a couple of girls at one of the stands about price.

I'm not sure who they are trying to target because there are so many places where you can rent a bicycle much cheaper than that .

I walk around a lot and have noticed that there are a lot more rental places it is becoming a booming business. Now if all the vehicles would just use them traffic would be so much nicer and other than the burning season the air would be a lot fresher.wai.gif

and then I woke upsad.png

re

they were right .... but why or how an tourist wanting to rent a bike for one or two days would want to go through the rediculous subscription deposit system beats me

when as asian travel says

they can rent a bike in every tenth shop in central chiang mai

for 50 baht a day so why on earth would anyone rent these orange bikes ?

prediction ... they will be gone in a year .... the same as most of the fish spas went

dave2

post-42592-0-44766700-1436694561_thumb.j

post-42592-0-61768300-1436694588_thumb.j

The first day costs you 320 baht. There is a charge of 100b for the access card for the system. Then an annual fee of 120b, plus the fee for the day (only 8am to 8pm) of 100b. They seem to push the fact it includes accident insurance....lol

If bike is not returned by 8pm there is a violation fee of 200b.

It's not very well thought out. The system is supposed to allow you flexibility of hiring the bike from say the Thapae Gate Station and dropping it off at say the Chiang Mai Gate Station. Each station has 6 bike 'stands'. Usually with 4 bikes stationed there. But if a station has all 6 stands full, you are out of luck. Every morning an attendant goes to each station and cleans the bikes and redistributes the bikes back to 4 per station.

This weekend you cannot access the Thapae Gate station because the crew for the event are completely blocking it. The same as every night with the night market at Chiang Mai Gate and on Sunday near Three Kings Monument station.

Seems like a complete waste of time. I'd like to know whose idea it was and what money/contract was involved. You can bet someone is making out nicely along the line.

re

I would love to hear about your experience, including ease of use (signing up and procedure)

peter jackson

can you please explain where and how you pay or sign up for this

coz i really cant see it being any use to the two or three day

tourists at all

unless im being a numb nuts here and missing something ?

cheers .. dave2

pic ... my new friend at chiang mai gate market smile.png

post-42592-0-15167500-1436699753_thumb.j

The first day costs you 320 baht. There is a charge of 100b for the access card for the system. Then an annual fee of 120b, plus the fee for the day (only 8am to 8pm) of 100b. They seem to push the fact it includes accident insurance....lol

If bike is not returned by 8pm there is a violation fee of 200b.

It's not very well thought out. The system is supposed to allow you flexibility of hiring the bike from say the Thapae Gate Station and dropping it off at say the Chiang Mai Gate Station. Each station has 6 bike 'stands'. Usually with 4 bikes stationed there. But if a station has all 6 stands full, you are out of luck. Every morning an attendant goes to each station and cleans the bikes and redistributes the bikes back to 4 per station.

This weekend you cannot access the Thapae Gate station because the crew for the event are completely blocking it. The same as every night with the night market at Chiang Mai Gate and on Sunday near Three Kings Monument station.

Seems like a complete waste of time. I'd like to know whose idea it was and what money/contract was involved. You can bet someone is making out nicely along the line.

I didn't know all this! 100 baht for just 12 hours is definitely not worth it! and they don't even provide front and back bicycle lights for that very busy period between 6.30 p.m. to 8 PM (or a bicycle helmet) which would be far more pragmatic than accident insurance.

Edited by Asiantravel

The authorities have seen these bike schemes running in other parts of the world and copied it(no doubt at a shocking cost). Unfortunately they are not smart enough to realize its very easy to hire a bike for 50 baht a day in CM. These bikes are easily found in the tourist parts of the city and you can be riding off within minutes. A lot of time and money down the drain. Give it a year or two and these bike stations will be ripped out or derelict.......However the scheme will have been a success for some because a budget will have been assigned , contracts issued, cheap bikes bought expensive etc and easy money in the bank for some.

Just past a group of 4 orange bike riders wobbling their way down the river road south of town (Paded Rd ?) This is a popular and and dangerous route for cyclists. I say dangerous as there are many blind curves and its normal to have someone in a vehicle accelerate around you not having a clue what's coming the other way.

The bikes are certainly bright ,shiny and obviously new.Maybe the fact that they are new and in good shape is more important than saving a few baht.

I thought the police were providing free bikes for anyone at Thaepae Gate.

They started the scheme quite recently.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/free-bicycles-for-use-for-anyone-thanks-to-highway-cops

You might want to read the article

The station is located at Chiang Mai Provincial Highway Police Station Chiang Mai – Lampang road, Muang’s Tasala sub-district.