Edu Visa

For anybody who is left with no other option and would like to contine to stay in thailand there is always the option of signing up for school.

As long as you have a high school diploma and can get your transcripts,you can sign up at any international program, get a letter from the principal and get an one year visa, after that at most schools you can pay to keep your student status for as little as 5000 baht for an additional year. You can do this for eight years at most schools for just 5000 a year. The initial cost may be from 25k to 50k but it would be a long term investment as for the next eight years you would only pay a total of 35k and you would NEVER have to leave at all to extend your visa.

Also some schools will not request to see your transcript immedietly but only need them if you plan to graduate.

I think it is worth the first investment

Well it wouldnt be illegal, nor would you be pretending as you would have signed up for school and paid the fees, you would be a perfectly legitamate student with a perfectly legitamate visa. You may not be the best student as you might not attend classes; but who is?

No it isnt necessary to atend classes after you have paid for just one semester you are a student, why should they care if you get an F in your math class.

No it is not legal to work with a EDU visa only, but it does give companies you might work for one less thing to worry about wich has given me little troubles when gietting a job.

Why not just go to school?

I checked with Payap University in Chiang Mai. The have 4 degree programs that are taught in English.

I plan on enrolling next year and getting my bachelors in English Communication.

The only problem is you need some way to support yourself as well as pay for the course (10,000 USD or 400,000 baht).

I checked with Payap University in Chiang Mai. The have 4 degree programs that are taught in English.

I plan on enrolling next year and getting my bachelors in English Communication.

The only problem is you need some way to support yourself as well as pay for the course (10,000 USD or 400,000 baht).

So how does that work? Do you pay a deposit initially and get an invitation letter for immigration? Ho much is the deposit?

How long is the course? years etc? Is that price per year? or total?

Good idea in theory but you will have to pay the min' of a deposit in order to get the right documents to get student visa. If you don't keep up with your fee payments to the Uni surely the school can cancel your visa?

Could be quite expensive after the cost of the visa and payments to the uni.

Not a theory

OK, so I had a long talk with the admissions officer at Payap myself and I have gone to school in bkk for 3 years, it is really quite easy.

Apply 500 bht

application fee wich is only filled out after everything is in order 6,400 bht

minimum tuition about 40,000 which you pay at the same time as the application fee

After that you wait a couple days for a letter signed by the pincipal or director, and that is all you need for your first year. You must take that letter to a embassy outside thailand to apply, dont worry, if you have the letter it is garaunteed.

When the next year comes around you pay simply to keep your status as a student, which is around 5,000 bht per year and you dont even have to leave the country to do it, just go to thai immigration and get a new stamp. You can be a student for a total of 8 years.

This is pretty exact for Payap uni. in Chiang mai, but I went to ramkhamhaeng for 2 years in bkk and did in fact continue my student status for a 3rd, then I moved to chiang mai.

I am sure many uni, all over thailand have very similar programs, honestly it is really easy and not expensive at all if you think about it in the long term.

Oh yeah and my tuition at ramkhamhaeng was only 26,000 baht, not too bad considering the next 8 years.

Edited by moodang

Not a theory

OK, so I had a long talk with the admissions officer at Payap myself and I have gone to school in bkk for 3 years, it is really quite easy.

Apply 500 bht

application fee wich is only filled out after everything is in order 6,400 bht

minimum tuition about 40,000 which you pay at the same time as the application fee

After that you wait a couple days for a letter signed by the pincipal or director, and that is all you need for your first year. You must take that letter to a embassy outside thailand to apply, dont worry, if you have the letter it is garaunteed.

When the next year comes around you pay simply to keep your status as a student, which is around 5,000 bht per year and you dont even have to leave the country to do it, just go to thai immigration and get a new stamp. You can be a student for a total of 8 years.

This is pretty exact for Payap uni. in Chiang mai, but I went to ramkhamhaeng for 2 years in bkk and did in fact continue my student status for a 3rd, then I moved to chiang mai.

I am sure many uni, all over thailand have very similar programs, honestly it is really easy and not expensive at all if you think about it in the long term.

Oh yeah and my tuition at ramkhamhaeng was only 26,000 baht, not too bad considering the next 8 years.

thanks for posting that info!!! shows the education avenue is a good one to check out.

So how does that work? Do you pay a deposit initially and get an invitation letter for immigration? Ho much is the deposit?

How long is the course? years etc? Is that price per year? or total?

Total cost for 4 years of school is 400,000 baht. After you graduate have a degree to work in Thailand with or go some place else if you like. It's pretty cheap compared to prices in the USA.

Not as well regarded as going to school back home, generally speaking, and maybe not accepted back home in some cases, but certainly helpful out here... you can study Thai as well. And it is a lot cheaper than back home.

I would be very, very, VERY surprised if you could work with an EDU visa

Edited by drummer

Not as well regarded as going to school back home, generally speaking, and maybe not accepted back home in some cases, but certainly helpful out here... you can study Thai as well. And it is a lot cheaper than back home.

I would be very, very, VERY surprised if you could work with an EDU visa

When I applied for my ED visa, the guy in the consulate in Penang tersely asked me "teacher or a student?" I was a bit surprised but didn't think too much of it, just told him "student". After reading this thread, iI started thinking about it, his question seems to imply that some kind of teaching work is allowed.

Don't assume that you can get a visa and NOT go to school for 8 years ...

If you stay in the good graces of a Uni and keep that up you will be continued during the time you stay with them.

If you change unis ... you will have to change visas <if you have the right letters you can do it without leaving for a new visa.

The school you attend MUST be accredited with the MoE to qualify for extension of stay.