Tap-water lost near Bangkok

webfact

Tap-water lost near Bangkok
Pratch Rujivanarom,
Pakawan Rojanasingsawad
The Nation

30264314-01_big.jpg

Many residents in Pathum Thani, Lop Buri and Saraburi have lost water because of the severe drought

BANGKOK: -- MORE THAN 250,000 households in provinces adjacent to Bangkok have lost access to tap-water as the severe drought has disrupted waterworks in urban areas.

Residents in Pathum Thani, Saraburi, Ayutthaya and Lop Buri have all been hit.

Raphipat Canal, which usually supplies raw water for tap-water production in Pathum Thani's Thanyaburi district, is one of the water sources that has run dry.

The Provincial Waterworks Authority (PWA)'s Rangsit Office in Pathum Thani has announced that due to the water shortage, the PWA office in Thanyaburi can no longer produce tap-water.

The PWA has been trying to help residents in Thanyaburi by channelling some water from the PWA's Rangsit office.

But with a limited supply of water to share, residents of both Thanayaburi and Rangsit have said that water barely comes out of their taps. And at some hours of the day, water does not come out at all.

Nong Sua, Thanyaburi and Lam Luk Ka districts in Pathum Thani province are now declared areas hit by water shortage.

"More than 50,000 households now have no running tap-water at their disposal," Pathum Thani governor Pongsathorn Sajjacholaphan said yesterday.

In Lop Buri and nearby provinces, more than 200,000 households have had no piped water because sources of have all been exhausted.

"Lop Buri is now the hardest hit. About 100,000 people in this province are now struggling with disrupted tap-water services," a local official said.

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation chief Chatchai Promlert said he has been in the process of asking the Royal Irrigation Department to help increase the volume of water from the Chao Phraya River to the Chai Nat - Pasak Canal.

"At this point, the water volume is only about five to six cubic metres of water per second. But we need water volume of at least 10 cubic metres to ensure the canal can continue to feed tap-water services," he said.

Chatchai has also asked the governors of Nakhon Sawan and Chai Nat provinces to stop farmers pumping water from the canal into their paddy fields.

'Farmers will cooperate'

"Farmers have agreed to co-operate. They have understood the plight of Lop Buri people who lack water for their daily life," he said.

Local irrigation officials had also installed pumps along the canal to help speed the flow of water to a tap-water facility, he added.

Many tributaries of the Chao Phraya, including Bang Kham River and Chai Nat - Pasak Canal, which are the main water source for tap-water production for Lop Buri's Ban Mi district, Saraburi's Phra Buddhabhat district and Tha Rua district in Ayutthaya, have dried up.

In order to tackle the tap-water shortage, PWA Rangsit office has asked the people in affected areas to save water in containers and said it is working with the Irrigation Department to distribute more water to generate tap-water.

The Pathum Thani governor Pongsathon said he is coordinating with Subdistrict Administrative Organisations in Nong Sua, Thanyaburi and Lam Luk ka districts to distribute water to affected households by fire trucks.

These areas have faced the most severe drought in decades.

Previously, farmers have seen their crops destroyed by the water shortage. But the situation has got worse and now affects domestic water usage in the area.

The almost totally dry Klong Raphipat Canal has also caused a canal-side road to collapse because of the sharp drop in the water level underground.

The severe drought also lead to fear that the capital will also be hit by the lack of tap-water. Governor of the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority Thanasak Watanathana has warned previously that supplies for tap-water in Bangkok may run out within 30 days if there is no rain by August.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Tap-water-lost-near-Bangkok-30264314.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-13

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am happy to see that the farmers understand that tap water for normal people is more important as their rice. Its a crime that farmers and other large water users use too much water and leave ordinary people without water.

Lets hope the people affected have water in ongs and rainwater tanks to get them through. But on the bright side Singha and Chang have an almost unlimited supply of bottled water available. And beer for those who prefer it!

The most basic necessity of life is unavailable and yet these boffins are considering the "essential" purchase of submarines.

Pure thainess!

I suppose desert terrain vehicles would be more suitable then.

I thought I read a report a month or so back how Bangkok would not run out of water, or was that another person in aithority flapping his dry-chapped lips?

i bet the "high officials" have tons of fresh tap water running out in full boar... no shortage to them...

with the biggest river running through Bangkok... it seems creativity and clean up is not a solution... only depend on the rain falling from the sky... interesting

i bet the "high officials" have tons of fresh tap water running out in full boar... no shortage to them...

with the biggest river running through Bangkok... it seems creativity and clean up is not a solution... only depend on the rain falling from the sky... interesting

Hmmm, how does the river get its water? Rain perhaps?

Anyway, both the now dry area and Bangkok already get their water from the Chao Praya, the main intake for BKK is close to our home in Pathum Thani.

The river is very low, no issue (yet) with potable water, but we pull our water for the animals and plants from a khlong which now has water for only a couple of hours a day (depends upon the state of the tide). Some poor sod (that would be me) has to fire up the pump to fill the tanks at all sorts of hours.

I don't want to pour oil into open fire but in Pattaya we're used to that.

We had moments when there was not a single drop coming out of public water supply pipes; some of those moments lasted five days.

Once the water returned all the taps and faucets needed change as the entire dirt, rust and rubbish from those quality pipes got stucked in cartridges, seals and fittings. Today we wait for the water tanks to be full again, then let the sediments settle just to drain 40 - 50 litres to wash out the freebie sediments. Take that treatment for each and every household - trillions of litres getting wasted again.

Possibly explains the hurry to by sub-marines; this will allow to deepwater search for .... water wai2.gif

Bet they feel so proud of their great nation.....cant even supply the basics for its residents despite huge rainfall annually, but lets build a superfast train so you can get to see the barren wastelands quickly, great for ministerial trips

Edited by kannot

can submarines go upstream and deliver some water

in a dried up river

i think the governement should buy hoovercrafts

What they need to do is reverse the flood measures the last genius thought up...............run the propellors round the the other way, surprised one of them hasnt already mentioned this yet, its about the right limit of intelligence for them

I am happy to see that the farmers understand that tap water for normal people is more important as their rice. Its a crime that farmers and other large water users use too much water and leave ordinary people without water.

Its not the job of farmers to control and manage water resources, its the job of government and the civil servants involved. The farmers and industry have the same right to water as any other user. But due to the inability of this government and its civil service to manage anything, including the water there is a water shortage. Without these farmers and industries, millions of people will be without jobs. To call farmers and industry criminals because they use water to produce products, are lets be kind to you - childish/naive.

In a properly run system, the authorities would have imposed water restrictions months ago, and enforced them with special patrols and fines. No watering of flower gardens, no washing of cars, no washing the footpath, no water wastage.

They would have started a campaign for water conservation and got the public behind it (I know you laugh at the thought, but it's possible with the right psychology and the strict enforcement).

Songkran next year this will all be forgotten about, and they will be wasting copious amounts of water once again.. Maybe its time they considered converting back to the old Songkran concept, when they never used half as much water.

Oh shit, I'm daydreaming again I better pinch myself.. welcomeani.gif to WPFflags.gif

Lemme see here.....for the first time in like a 100 years or more there is a drought in the central region, and people start talking about mismanagement? Please......

Fair comment for this year... but there is such a thing as "contingency planning"

no harm in planning in-front for events that are rare but do happen, just like the floods!!

Its not the job of farmers to control and manage water resources, its the job of government and the civil servants involved. The farmers and industry have the same right to water as any other user. But due to the inability of this government and its civil service to manage anything, including the water there is a water shortage. Without these farmers and industries, millions of people will be without jobs. To call farmers and industry criminals because they use water to produce products, are lets be kind to you - childish/naive.

You are right the farmers have the SAME rights as others not 10 to 100 more as the normal people. I don't see why they would have more rights as others. Poor people in all the towns will have to buy water at inflated prices while the large users take it away from them. Call it childish, i call it unfair.

Would love to see you back up your claims because everyone can claim millions without of jobs. Fact is there is rice enough in Thailand so if the farmers don't produce rice its only a problem for the farmers not for the consumers.

When officials tell farmers not to plant and they do plant or when officials tell farmers not to take water and they still do.. then go against the people that you say have to manage it. I remember reading about farmers taking more water even though they had been asked to stop. They were pumping water in when the were not allowed. That is stealing from us all.

Lets hope the people affected have water in ongs and rainwater tanks to get them through. But on the bright side Singha and Chang have an almost unlimited supply of bottled water available. And beer for those who prefer it!

Yes some of us have barrells or garbage cans that hold water but the real issue is not just the taps. There is no water to do things like flush the toilet or take a shower.

Drinking water is not and really has not been an issue we can buy that but how ripe would ou smell if you could not take a shower every day?

How ripe would your house be if you could not flush the toilet?

Yes I am one of those people that is having an issue with water to be honest off and onl we have been suffering it for months.

Given a choice between being involved in the flood or this it is a hard choice as to which is worse.

welcome to the Sofitel Hotel Bangkok. your penthouse suite is ready. sorry no water for showers or toilets. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope you enjoy your stay in Thailand.

Edited by NCC1701A

No they don't understand it, and if I would be farmer and xxx.000 Baht of crops are dying on my fields I wouldn't care if someone other has tap water for a week or not.

Call it egoist but for many farmer it is about financial survival.

In many areas....for example Pattaya it often happens that there is no tap water and people don't die....