Is Thailand terrible failure in education system?

jiangaq

As for your last question, most western (American) high school students have four academic subjects each day. That would account for 2+ hours of homework most nights. With four hours of classroom work and two hours of homework, that's a six-hour day. Certainly not a hardship as preparation for a person who may be working an 8-9 hour day as an employee the following year, or putting in 4-5 hours a night doing homework for college classes. Granted, it does cut into time spent playing computer games... In grad school I started 'school work' at 8am, and was either in class or studying/doing homework until 11pm, six days a week for four years. I was lucky to be living with a girlfriend at the time or I would have had no social life at all during those years.

And yet, I did no homework at all until 6th form, then averaged about 15mins a day after school.

No computer games, as they hadn't invented computers for the masses in the 60s and 70s.

Yes. We can see that. smile.png

Tut, tut. You are starting to sound like your nemesis L Bird.

As for your last question, most western (American) high school students have four academic subjects each day. That would account for 2+ hours of homework most nights. With four hours of classroom work and two hours of homework, that's a six-hour day. Certainly not a hardship as preparation for a person who may be working an 8-9 hour day as an employee the following year, or putting in 4-5 hours a night doing homework for college classes. Granted, it does cut into time spent playing computer games... In grad school I started 'school work' at 8am, and was either in class or studying/doing homework until 11pm, six days a week for four years. I was lucky to be living with a girlfriend at the time or I would have had no social life at all during those years.

And yet, I did no homework at all until 6th form, then averaged about 15mins a day after school.

No computer games, as they hadn't invented computers for the masses in the 60s and 70s.

Yes. We can see that. smile.png

Tut, tut. You are starting to sound like your nemesis L Bird.

Hardly a 'nemesis.' More akin to a limpet or barnacle. But you're right. I really should just ignore posts like that. My apologies.

With regard to Waree, we're pulling our son out of there at the end of the current term. The teachers do try, but they are hamstrung by 35+ class sizes and having a 3 tier system where kids from 'normal', bi-lingual and international schools mix together. It's a pity as our son likes the school, but he's not doing well enough academically.