Is Thailand terrible failure in education system?

jiangaq

Just read an article from below link and being a little worried:
As I would like to have my child educated in international school in Chiangmai in the future, however, in my opinion, Thai people looks a little bit lazy and not have enough responsibility, I dont meant to offend them. Maybe it's not a good choice to choose Thailand, right? Now I'm living in Chiangmai, are the international schools in BKK better than CM in all aspects?
Can anyone who has experience dealing with your own children education in Thailand share the truth or opinion with me? Thank you in advance!

I've visited Prem a couple of times and have always been quite impressed with their set up - I can't comment on any of the other CM international schools from experience. Without doubt though, all the genuinely top-tier schools are in Bangkok, but as HooHaa has said, they are not cheap. If you can't afford them and actually care about your child's future, it's time to look at options other than staying in Thailand. Do not even for one moment consider putting them through the state system, and the same goes for Thai private schools and their bilingual programmes.

Edited by LucidLucifer

I highly recommend going to this school in Pattaya called 'B.E.S.T Burapha'. If you consider the school as an option for your child's future and take a visit, when you get there, ask for a Michael Stuart or David Mills. They will tell you everything about the school.

Why should you listen to me? Well.. I've been a student of the school since I was 3. Graduated 5 months ago, I'm now 19 years old. I was in that same school for 16 years.

I'm finding it difficult to summarize it all in a few sentences, but I'll try my best.

Here's the thing. People who graduated from this school and who are currently studying in secondary level, are amongst the most open minded, worldy (yes, it's a word tongue.png ), and critical thinkers out of all the people I've seen. And yes, it is because they went to this school.

There was a guy who did nothing but take drugs, hang out late at night on the streets, getting wasted in walking street, not giving a single damn about his future, skipping classes and failing at school real hard. He came to this school, and after studying for three years, he is now fluent in English, did all his A-levels, and is now on his way to become a chemical engineer.

If your kid goes to this school, your kid will graduate being able to speak English and Thai like a native, have nice conversations to their teachers about what is going on in the world, will never be afraid to speak up to something or ask a question if he wants to, or raise his/her voice if needed.

Unfortunately you still have to read Wuthering Heights.

You asked for truth, I provided.

They'll probably earn more working for public transport and no degree in the EU than they will with a Thai degree in Bangkok... without a foreign uni, or work abroad it's not worth much.
EU/UK universities easy to get into with $$$$$. Is that your goal? passifier.gif I'd bet the edu in an inter school beats a grotty public school abroad, but maybe look at the pass rates for each school?
Chiang Mai infinitely better than other cities in Thailand for quality of life - away from sexpats etc (imo)
Dismal salaries in Thailand : Kelly

thai international schools can compete with some of the best in the world, not cheap though.

Are there any in Chiang Mai that do? Which ones?

Guessing American Pacific is the best, nice location, nice price.

Varee inter has good teachers, Lanna looks promising too, if a little austere. Can't find a league table for exam results online though.

Ambassador had nice small classes - that counts for a lot imo, not sure if it's an 'inter' but all you need is enough passes to get into a uni abroad and $$$$$$$

Excuse the long post.

Before I move on to the specific question of international schools in CM, allow me to make a general statement on parenting. It is relevant.

Is there such a thing as "effective parenting"?

Probably not.

Anecdotally, I've seen kids of parents who seem to have done much right, turn out disappointingly while kids of parents who muddled along, turn out brilliantly.

What gives?

We are who we are. Throughout our lives we unfold, or are unfolded to become whatever it is in us to become. Other things being equal (education, social placement, etc), the kind of parenting we receive matters somewhat, but not much.

Some research I've read bears this out.

This notion is hard to accept because we are used to thinking in terms of actions and consequences. But the truth is that the results of any particular type of parenting are less consequential than we'd like to think.

Besides, our children aren't ours to mould. They don't belong to us; they belong to themselves, and soon enough, their selves will claim them back.

So what's a conscientious parent to do?

I think this:

Be gentle, be kind. Be available, as and when needed. Be liberalfree our kids to go walkabout, to unfold as they may (they will, anyway!) Not stressing out over the parenting may be the best thing we can do for them, and for ourselves.

As for our children, they owe us nothing. Though some kindness, some forgiveness, and a hug every now and again would be nice.

About international schools in CM:

I would pick a secular school (although a Buddhist semi-international school called Pandayan seems worth checking out) that emphasises nurturing and education over exam preparation. Small class sizes (no more than 20 in a class and not too few either, because varied interaction with others is also important) and plenty of after school activities. A good music program (one of the best and most fun way to brain development). A school with a good mix of young and older teachers where teacher turnover has been low. A school that spends most of its income on teacher pay. No homework in elementary, and not too much in junior high. A school that has community outreach programs and organises volunteering opportunities. A strong, independent and active PTA.

Visit each school and don't make your decision after just one visit. Make several visits to each school, some unannounced. Talk to the kids and other parents. I'm confident you'll find one or more in CM that suits you.

Find a place to live that's near the school, because it's two trips a day, 200 days a year, for 12 years.

T

I would pick a secular school (although a Buddhist semi-international school called Pandayan seems worth checking out) that emphasises nurturing and education over exam preparation. Small class sizes (no more than 20 in a class and not too few either, because varied interaction with others is also important) and plenty of after school activities. A good music program (one of the best and most fun way to brain development). A school with a good mix of young and older teachers where teacher turnover has been low. A school that spends most of its income on teacher pay. No homework in elementary, and not too much in junior high. A school that has community outreach programs and organises volunteering opportunities. A strong, independent and active PTA.

Visit each school and don't make your decision after just one visit. Make several visits to each school, some unannounced. Talk to the kids and other parents. I'm confident you'll find one or more in CM that suits you.

Find a place to live that's near the school, because it's two trips a day, 200 days a year, for 12 years.

T

I would agree with 'most' of this, although I do disagree about the homework. As an educator, I believe that 'some' homework is beneficial. Homework that challenges a child to think, not just 'busywork.' Perhaps 30 minutes a night at the primary levels to reinforce what was learned during the day. An hour at the junior high level and at least 30-45 minutes for each class at the high school level. This is absolutely necessary to both reinforce the days lessons and prepare for the following day's classes. It also builds solid study habits that will be mandatory should the student continue on into college studies.

Two other areas that I would, as a parent, want to see prior to enrolling my kids into a school would be the prepared lesson plans from previous semesters. Are the teachers following a progression of education with well-stated goals? Is there a well thought out continuum of academia? These, plus a look into the non-academic studies that can be had; shop classes, drama classes, team and individual sports, and others. At the same time, it pays to investigate the level of counseling available to both students and teachers. It is professional, or just some teacher assigned to fill that role. There are probably a dozen other aspects of the school that I would want to explore, including the meal program and transportation.

Folkguitar,

I completely agree on Shop/Drama (and Dance!). Every school should have all three, as well as a strong music department. All schools already give sufficient weight to sports, and that's good.

I fear most parents may not have the competency to look into the lesson plans and their implementations. Can you suggest ways to do this?

Homework in elementary: I'd prefer a compromise where the school sets aside half an hour after school for the kids to do their "homework" while still at school. I really wouldn't like them, at that age, to bring their work home.

Cheers/T

Much of what she writes is true but hardly news although I thought the "Culture Course" requirement was introduced years ago and then, as with many of these things, quietly dropped. Poor long term planning, chronic under funding and the authorities' inability (or refusal) to look beyond the old fashioned "learn by rote" teaching methods will indeed see the educational achievements continue to lag well below the standard of the region. That said, if you are a parent with school age children and want (or have) to live in Thailand then Chiang Mai is one of the best places to be if you take quality, cost of living and available schools into account. Cambridge International GCSE courses are on offer from Varee and Lanna and the US system is available at CMIS, American Pacific and elsewhere while PTIS brings the International Baccalaureate to the table, albeit at a seriously international price. The average price of international schooling is running at about 200,000 baht per year (or was, last time I looked).

The Thai curriculum is the sticking point since it is sadly lacking in its teaching of world affairs, history and geography, but at least some schools like Varee do attempt to address this by recognising the value of problem solving and independent thinking and teaching what is required in more creative ways. If you're a parent in the Thai system then there are plenty of ways to improve your child's education. Swapping all local media for something more international is a good start - making sure you get the news in English (not Fox!) every morning would be a good start.

It would be wonderful to see the proper recognition and resources brought to bear on the the education issue here, but I fear there are some big bridges that will need to be crossed before that has a chance of becoming a reality.

Edited by Greenside

As an educator I have come to the following conclusions: a good school helps a lot. A good school is about educating a child NOT just getting them through exams. Most teachers don't get this - good educators do get it. look for schools with a principal that is committed to developing a child rather than just skilling. A child that has ability will most likely succeed regardless of the quality of the school. The highest drop out rates from University are from students that have motivated parents and schools that focus on passing exams - these are mostly the top private schools. I am not a church person but those students that come from a background where the family is religious or with high moral standards seem better grounded and tend to do better at school. (There have been notable exceptions to this last statement but as a rule I think it holds true). The parenting of a child is vital. I would say far more important than the school in forming a child. Many children are late bloomers - especially boys. Don't panic if they seem to not be achieving much all the time. Children work and think differently to adults and they are amazingly resilient. They can also achieve things very quickly when they latch onto something that they take to. It is never too late for anyone at any stage of life to improve their education. The cost of a school does not necessarily reflect on its ability to educate your child. Some of the most expensive schools are filled with spoiled brats.

When did Panyaden change to become all that? They used to have high teacher turnover and a PTA that was stopped in its tracks by the school administration except on social activities.

Do you have any information about how their stucents do after they finish Panyaden?

I agree that Panyaden in theory sounds very good but have heard that in practice it is not so hot.

I really don't know any thing except I have heard that many of them have a good rep. Not because of their teaching but they are strict on who they let in. If they think you will not make them look good you are not excepted.

As I said it is a rumor but would not surprise me in he least if there wasn't some truth in it.

As an educator I have come to the following conclusions: a good school helps a lot. A good school is about educating a child NOT just getting them through exams. Most teachers don't get this - good educators do get it. look for schools with a principal that is committed to developing a child rather than just skilling. A child that has ability will most likely succeed regardless of the quality of the school. The highest drop out rates from University are from students that have motivated parents and schools that focus on passing exams - these are mostly the top private schools. I am not a church person but those students that come from a background where the family is religious or with high moral standards seem better grounded and tend to do better at school. (There have been notable exceptions to this last statement but as a rule I think it holds true). The parenting of a child is vital. I would say far more important than the school in forming a child. Many children are late bloomers - especially boys. Don't panic if they seem to not be achieving much all the time. Children work and think differently to adults and they are amazingly resilient. They can also achieve things very quickly when they latch onto something that they take to. It is never too late for anyone at any stage of life to improve their education. The cost of a school does not necessarily reflect on its ability to educate your child. Some of the most expensive schools are filled with spoiled brats.

Puts me in mind of what a very wise man once told me about College. He said you don't go there to learn you go there to learn how to learn.

I have a friend who has a Masters in English. They went to the TEAFL course and told me it was one of the hardest things they had ever done. They said they had to learn how to teach. Just not knowing it and reciting it did not do the job.

I am tech challenged and have had several people show me how to do some thing. I learned nothing from them. I finally hired a fellow who was a whiz with a computer. He also knew how to teach me what he was showing me. It took time but I did learn some basic facts because he could impart his knowledge some of it he did with physical demonstrations.

Folkguitar,

I completely agree on Shop/Drama (and Dance!). Every school should have all three, as well as a strong music department. All schools already give sufficient weight to sports, and that's good.

I fear most parents may not have the competency to look into the lesson plans and their implementations. Can you suggest ways to do this?

It's not as difficult as it may seem. A parent doesn't need to know the material to understand the lesson plan or even recognize one.

As its name implies, it is a 'plan.' As such, it needs to follow a certain basic formula, one that I wrote out in another thread. I'll riposte it here, highlighting the most important aspects:

Every lesson plan should have a clearly defined learning goal. It needs to have a list the resources needed for a lesson, the expectations for results, then the anticipatory set that engages the students in the learning that is about to happen. A summery of the direct instruction, followed by guided instruction, and finally assessment. This needs to be done for each class, each day, and handed in to the Academic Programs office one week in advance... in better schools.

This is now required in almost every 'good' public school system in America, as well as all the better private schools. There is no more 'flying (read: teaching) by the seat of my pants' teaching permitted. The "5-Step Plan" (teacher deciding what to do as they walk the five steps to the classroom door) is no longer considered effective. Another thing that a parent would want to look for is 'ongoing teacher training.' Teaching methodologies are constantly evolving, and new concepts for the transference of information are being developed. What a teacher learns when they were in college 5 years before about teaching methods has changed quite a bit. It's a good idea for a parent to ask how the school keeps abreast of these developing strategies.

Above all, Education is NOT about cramming a child full of information. The roots of the word 'education' is educere... to lead out, explore.... and educare... to train, as in 'to train how to think.' That is what a good teacher does.

Edited by FolkGuitar

thai international schools can compete with some of the best in the world, not cheap though.

Are there any in Chiang Mai that do? Which ones?

Guessing American Pacific is the best, nice location, nice price.

Varee inter has good teachers, Lanna looks promising too, if a little austere. Can't find a league table for exam results online though.

Ambassador had nice small classes - that counts for a lot imo, not sure if it's an 'inter' but all you need is enough passes to get into a uni abroad and $$$$$$$

American Pacific is restructuring itself to cater for the Chinese market. Many Western kids leaving because of this.

T

I would agree with 'most' of this, although I do disagree about the homework. As an educator, I believe that 'some' homework is beneficial. Homework that challenges a child to think, not just 'busywork.' Perhaps 30 minutes a night at the primary levels to reinforce what was learned during the day. An hour at the junior high level and at least 30-45 minutes for each class at the high school level. This is absolutely necessary to both reinforce the days lessons and prepare for the following day's classes. It also builds solid study habits that will be mandatory should the student continue on into college studies.

Two other areas that I would, as a parent, want to see prior to enrolling my kids into a school would be the prepared lesson plans from previous semesters. Are the teachers following a progression of education with well-stated goals? Is there a well thought out continuum of academia? These, plus a look into the non-academic studies that can be had; shop classes, drama classes, team and individual sports, and others. At the same time, it pays to investigate the level of counseling available to both students and teachers. It is professional, or just some teacher assigned to fill that role. There are probably a dozen other aspects of the school that I would want to explore, including the meal program and transportation.

Homework is a double edged sword. Yes while it can reinforce the days lessons for the students who got it, it can also reinforce bad habits and a feeling of helplessness for students that didn't get it. Many studies are showing that homework is not always a good thing and many educators are moving away from the traditional type of homework that you advocate.

" at least 30-45 minutes for each class at the high school level"

How may classes do your kids have at high school level?

All very good but I would massively contend with your statement about religious parents. From my experience religious parents close their child's mind to a great deal of education because it interferes with their beliefs.

Edited by Throatwobbler

Homework is a double edged sword. Yes while it can reinforce the days lessons for the students who got it, it can also reinforce bad habits and a feeling of helplessness for students that didn't get it. Many studies are showing that homework is not always a good thing and many educators are moving away from the traditional type of homework that you advocate.

" at least 30-45 minutes for each class at the high school level"

How may classes do your kids have at high school level?

Just as 'testing' can be either an effective assessment tool, so can homework. It's all about how they are used. We must realize that the assessment is on the part of the student, NOT the teacher. A 'good' teacher doesn't need a test to know what a student is doing/understanding/learning. The teacher gets that from classroom interaction. The test shows the student what he/she needs to work on for improvement. As for 'bad habits and a feeling of helplessness for students that didn't get it,' that's failing on the part of the teacher or the school, not the student. In the Japanese school system, most classrooms have two-three teachers. One 'lead' teacher at the front of the class introducing new material and facilitating discussion, and one or two teachers walking around the room working individually with each student. If a child 'doesn't get it,' a teacher will work with that student after the school day is finished to make sure the child DOES get it. This insures that a student who passes from one grade to the next has actually mastered the requirements of the previous year.

In the West, it's not uncommon for a student to be required to repeat a grade. (This doesn't do a heck of a lot for the student's self-respect...) We often hear about school athletes who can't read a menu or give correct change, even at the college level. The problem wasn't due to homework. It was due to poor teaching and a school system that turns a blind eye on the educational needs of its students. You will never see a Japanese student who can't read. None will ever have to repeat a grade because 'they didn't get it.' The teacher sees to it that they do. USUALLY (not 'sometimes' but usually) a Japanese public school teacher doesn't leave the school until 7pm, often later. They have been working with students until 4-5pm... Not running home at 3:30. There is no wondering why Japanese school children do so well when entering western universities.

As for your last question, most western (American) high school students have four academic subjects each day. That would account for 2+ hours of homework most nights. With four hours of classroom work and two hours of homework, that's a six-hour day. Certainly not a hardship as preparation for a person who may be working an 8-9 hour day as an employee the following year, or putting in 4-5 hours a night doing homework for college classes. Granted, it does cut into time spent playing computer games... In grad school I started 'school work' at 8am, and was either in class or studying/doing homework until 11pm, six days a week for four years. I was lucky to be living with a girlfriend at the time or I would have had no social life at all during those years.

Education isn't summer camp. It requires effort on the part of the teacher as well as the student. It requires even greater effort on the part of the parents, who have the responsibility to oversee the student's work outside the classroom, and provide extra tutoring if needed.

Edited by FolkGuitar

As for your last question, most western (American) high school students have four academic subjects each day. That would account for 2+ hours of homework most nights. With four hours of classroom work and two hours of homework, that's a six-hour day. Certainly not a hardship as preparation for a person who may be working an 8-9 hour day as an employee the following year, or putting in 4-5 hours a night doing homework for college classes. Granted, it does cut into time spent playing computer games... In grad school I started 'school work' at 8am, and was either in class or studying/doing homework until 11pm, six days a week for four years. I was lucky to be living with a girlfriend at the time or I would have had no social life at all during those years.

And yet, I did no homework at all until 6th form, then averaged about 15mins a day after school.

No computer games, as they hadn't invented computers for the masses in the 60s and 70s.

And yet, I did no homework at all until 6th form, then averaged about 15mins a day after school.

No computer games, as they hadn't invented computers for the masses in the 60s and 70s.

Yes. We can see that. :)

Yes. We can see that. smile.png

Folkie, not everybody is a tries hard. You were the student in class that sat up front, asked a ton of questions, went to office hours, all to mask the fact that you didn't really get the gist of what the prof was trying to explain. This doesn't mean that is the work load that every other student put on themselves. I went to grad school for a pure science, and never came close to the kind of hours you're talking about, and neither did anyone else I know. Some people used their education to learn how to think critically. How to problem solve.

Some people can listen in class, or flip through a book, work some problems, and understand the subject. Other's have to bury their nose in a book, take a ton of notes, and rely on memorization and brown nosing to get themselves through.

For another alternative I put my kids through Thai bilingual schools till half way through high school.

I then found what was one of the best public schools back home, then went and rented in that area so the kids could attend.

The quality there is very good and was a shock for them at first but now they are adjusting OK. After graduating that will allow them automatic access to the university system.