Grass Seed for Play-Grounds and Fairway

eljuwa

Hello Forum members

Moderator please post this on the Bangkok forum also. Thanks.

All members at the Chiang Mai Forum and Bangkok Forum have always assisted me in all of my requests.

Here is a new one.

I am looking for the availability of GRASS SEED for playgrounds and fairways. Bermuda grass seed would be the best or any other types of seed suitable for a tropical climate would be desired.

Please let me know the dealers in this product for a fairly big project.

As always, THANK YOU

James

Edited by Tywais
Changed to standard font and fixed title

If your apply grass seed to a playground area it will not survive due to the traffic trampling all over it ... it may be ok for the first few days but I think it will die soon after.

Have you thought about this idea ... ? easy to clean ... looks good .... and never needs attention unlike grass ...

post-48292-0-29791400-1436841923_thumb.j

Edited by steven100

Ha. Plastic a good alternative to grass? Hardly. Overuse of any grass sports field can result in a mud hole but a fakey green plastic mat would most likely be much more expensive, would present drainage problems, lead to more sports injury, be much hotter and require special grippy shoes.

For bermuda seed, try local golf course for ideas or purchase.

Yes you are right that synthetic turf is expensive especially if is installed correctly and that means installing drainage but that has not stopped it increasing being used on playing fields and in parks and playgrounds.

As for Fairways look at using Seaside paspalum or Paspalum vaginatum. It will handle salinity and wet soil conditions and too a extent low fertility . It is what most of the courses around Pattaya and Phuket are using it now. As much as i love the new Buffalo or Bermuda cultivars as ornamental turf the seaside paspalum is better . You will find that turf grasses are not really wear resistant but recover and grow the quickest and again the seaside paspalum in good in this respect to the point it can be invasive.

I personally would never consider turf grass as softfall for children's playgrounds . I guess it depends on budget constraints but i have never seen softfall in Thai playgrounds that is safe for kids. Think about mulch , shredded rubber or sand if you synthetic grass or wetpour are not viable.

It's very difficult to find any grass seed at Kumtieng plant market in CM. I looked before and found only one shop with cans of something nearly like Burmuda grass, but limited supply and very expensive.

Easier to lay sod, and that's the way it's done here.

A couple of days ago Malaysia grass sod was selling at KT for 26 baht a square meter. The price varies with planting season. It's gone up over the last few weeks do to the weather here, which is currently great for putting down sod.