Tax-free personal belongings carried by tourists now raised to 20,000 baht

webfact

He said the increase of the value of tax-free personal belongings brought in will now be same as the value of things bought at duty-free shops by travellers at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports before entering the country.

I don't get this part. I know the King Power also sells taxfree to travellers entering Thailand but do they sell so much taxfree to travellers coming to Thailand?

But i 'm happy with this new rule! Now i can bring much more quality machinery into Thailand straight from Europe.

Who needs new carparts?

$600 of car parts? Wow ... big business indeed.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean that I can bring in 5 cartons of my favorite smokes, if I pay taxes on the extra 4 cartons?

Previously, I thought you could not bring in more than 1 carton (200 cigarettes) at any one time. But the wording here makes it sound like I can bring more if I just pay the taxes (which I am happy to do).

So anyone with a phone, camera, and laptop will have to pay tax on their belongings. That's just BS. I really hope they enforce it and eventually drive away droves of disgruntled wealthy foreign tourists. Hit the Thais in the hip pocket where it really hurts.

Is that really what you "hope" for. Poor guy. Has Thailand really hurt you that much?

So I can bring in the Rolex in 20 pieces. Must look into that. ??

Why would you even want to have such a poorly made watch. I got rid of mine when it kept losing ten minutes every few months. What an overrated watch.

So you rate millions of Rolex watches by the one bad one you had? Mine keeps excellent time for many years. Plus I get it cleaned and tuned every few years.

I think there is some kind of misunderstanding in the OP.

This is the same rule that is valid in most countries. It is the value of tax free goods bought at the airport, either when boarding or landing at Suvarnaphumi.

It is not your personal goods that you bought some time ago.

The amount allowed varies from country to country.

Some bloke came up to me a few months ago at the phone shop in Swampy, about 20 minutes after I'd cleared customs, and asked me what was in my DF bag. I told him, "One carton, One bottle, as allowed". He said to me "You have any more in your luggage" and I just glared at him and growled "No", at which point he scuttled off.

Edited by Chicog

Great news. Now you can bring back a laptop from UK much cheaper than the equivalent in Thailand. It will have a UK keyboard and many businesses including Laptops Direct are members of the VAT for Tourists scheme which enables reclaim of the 20% VAT. You don't need to buy from a duty free shop at the Airport. Just present the product to Customs before departure.

Why would you even want to have such a poorly made watch. I got rid of mine when it kept losing ten minutes every few months. What an overrated watch.

agreed. "I got one in Bali for $15.00, and the guy's going to post out the guarantee" (The Castle)

Its so easy you only pay tax on the items tyou bought new on the airfield. The items like your phone, laptop etc. which you bought ay home, you already paid the tax in your homecountry ( they could ask you if you have a way of prooving this). So to aviod paying tax if you buy something above 20.000 bath is take it out of the box and use it on the flight in so it looks used.

Is there a misunderstanding here or what? Usually the duties are only for travellers with goods that will end up in Thailand .e.g immigrants bringing personal belongings or thais returning from abroad.

Foreign tourists that plan to leave the country, that is goods are imported and then exported again, typically are exempt from these duties. So don't worry about your $10000 watch or handbag. As long as you're taking it home with you.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Surely this is only aimed at Thais and foreign residents taking goods into the country. I think there must be an error in the headline and report. Wouldn't be unusual to here a story one day then contradicted the next. Most countries have similar laws on the import of goods which are not aimed at tourists or guests just visiting for a short duration.

He said the increase of the value of tax-free personal belongings brought in will now be same as the value of things bought at duty-free shops by travellers at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports before entering the country.

I don't get this part. I know the King Power also sells taxfree to travellers entering Thailand but do they sell so much taxfree to travellers coming to Thailand?

But i 'm happy with this new rule! Now i can bring much more quality machinery into Thailand straight from Europe.

Who needs new carparts?

Does this mean you can buy a older car for 20000 thai BHt pack into container and bring it into Thailand tax free.

Older cars are so cheap in NZ a 20000 Bht car would fetch up to 300000 Thai Bht in Thailand.

You would pay import duty on what it's value is in Thailand, not in New Zealand. I could have bought my 1000 dollar mini into Thailand, but they cost 800K baht here...and you would pay tax based on that value.

So anyone with a phone, camera, and laptop will have to pay tax on their belongings. That's just BS. I really hope they enforce it and eventually drive away droves of disgruntled wealthy foreign tourists. Hit the Thais in the hip pocket where it really hurts.

Is that really what you "hope" for. Poor guy. Has Thailand really hurt you that much?

Nope. I just don't like bullshit laws made to fleece foreigners, or anyone for that fact.

I don't own 20,000 Baht of personal belongings violin.gif

When I fly in/out I'm carrying 2 laptops, that's 100,000 baht just there.

I also have my phone, ipad, various other high value items.

Not to mention my clothes which can easily be 10,000 baht just what I'm wearing.

Maybe consider helping out someone less fortunate like canopus.

Only the rich people would have a problem with bringing in 20,000 baht in belongings, as

us tourists usually bring in a suitcase full of summer clothes, and swimming suits.

We may have an extra pair of sandals or shoes, but really 6,600 US worth of anything

is a lot of stuff to lugging around on our holidays.

My concern would be about how much money I am allowed to bring into Thailand to spend while I

am there on vacation. I guess with credit cards, travellers checks, and bank drafts I can

get by with that situation. Too bad it is so hard to get a bank account and ATM card when I am in Thailand.

Stargeezer

Yeah, cause you bought it on Sukumvit Bkk or 2nd Road Pattaya. Some of us actually do own the Real Thing...and never had a problem.

Oops I guess 20,000 baht is only $666 US, and I sometimes have almost that amount

with me in nice shoes, designers sandals, and my real leather man purse and

razor, etc. Maybe I have to go back to my backpacking days and only bring about 200 to 300

dollars worth of stuff, the next time I travel to Thailand.

Only the rich people would have a problem with bringing in 20,000 baht in belongings, as

us tourists usually bring in a suitcase full of summer clothes, and swimming suits.

We may have an extra pair of sandals or shoes, but really 6,600 US worth of anything

Your maths is out by a factor of 10. 20,000B is much closer to $660 than $6,600 as you stated.

My concern would be about how much money I am allowed to bring into Thailand to spend while I

am there on vacation. I guess with credit cards, travellers checks, and bank drafts I can

get by with that situation. Too bad it is so hard to get a bank account and ATM card when I am in Thailand.

Stargeezer

You can bring in US$20K. Some people say us$10K but I have been searched by customs on my last entry and had US$22K cash with me and no problem... The only fined me US$800 for the 3 extra cartons of smokes I had with me.

Actually that's not how it works. If you look at Australia's duty free limit of A$900 per traveller on goods purchased new either at airport duty free stores before entry or overseas, Thailand's 20,000 Baht limit, which works out to be approx. A$800 is only about A$100 lower at current rates of exchange and would likely apply only to brand new goods purchased abroad that have been unopened, not used goods like a 2 year old laptop or a 2-3 year old smartphone whose values are difficult to determine.

And if that's not enough, enforcement will be very lax because as we all know, only Indian traders carrying 10 boxes are ever asked to go through the red channel on arrival (or have their goods x-rayed). Out of dozens and dozens of trips into and out of Thailand via Suvarnabhumi alone (and before that, Don Muang) over the years, the number of inspections I've been subject to has been a grand total of one. And that was only because I had a lot of luggage with me and was travelling with my fiancee, but the "inspection" was over in about 7 seconds.

At land borders inspections are even more lax, travel by car and your vehicle won't even be inspected. Smart smugglers will go as far as knowing which border checkpoints to use, hint the bigger ones are more likely to have inspections while the smaller ones don't do anything. The other option is a quick backhander to customs who are too lazy to even inspect what you've got - just tell them what you have, and hand them 100-200 Baht, which will get you across the line. Or you can always have your goods come in via a smaller unofficial gate near the official one; there are more than a dozen lining the Moei river below the official Friendship Bridge in Mae Sot alone.

Where in the OP dos it state that this only applies to new goods. They way I read it is that it allies to all goods, new or second hand. Apparently, most of the posters here think so too. If new (unopened) goods, then this should be specifically stated, as that makes a huge difference.

There's what is "says", and what it actually means. There's always translation involved, and possibly a not very well-written, concise, thought-out policy in the first place. TIT. That would certainly be typical. So relax.

Now there are foreigners who reside in Thailand and are therefore actually returning residents. What they bring in, if purchased abroad, is going to be subject to customs duty.

And then there are foreign tourists just visiting Thailand. Yes, I know what the OP says. I'm saying that if you're in this category, and you're not carrying in new stuff or stuff in such quantities that a customs officer could interpret as being intended for commercial distribution, and you're not carrying alcohol or tobacco in excess of the allowed amount, or violating any agro or drug or weapons laws (etc.), I really don't think this is talking about you and you're really not subject to this B20K limit. I've never heard of anyone in this category being caught up in this (unless one of the exceptions above I've mentioned - I have heard of cases where one side of the story was that what the traveler had with them may have looked like commercial goods). B20K is less than $600US. Many if not most western foreigners arriving by air are going to have more than that with them in terms of their personal belongings (phone, wristwatch, gold chains, other jewelry, things like upscale luggage or namebrand shoes or designer clothing, laptop or tablet, etc.).

If you're determined to have something to worry about, then have a ball with this. Otherwise I truly don't think you need to fret, whatever the OP says notwithstanding.

I don't own 20,000 Baht of personal belongings violin.gif

Perhaps but if one travels in with a newish Samsung or Iphone and a laptop that number is achievable.

Can't say I have ever been inconvenienced by the old 10,000 limit though.

My mia noi likes red wine and, wine being heavily taxed in the Kingdom, I brought her two five-liter boxes of red wine from California. Because I didn't want to get into trouble, I stopped at the Customs counter to declare the wine. They looked at me as if I were crazy; they had no idea what to do with me. Finally, one of them put their finger to their lips as if to say, "Shhhhhh", and waved me on. I've never bothered to declare again. Thainess.

Why do they care what PERSONAL items tourists bring with them? Obviously they'll take it back with them apart from relatives bringing gifts from overseas maybe! Any nice laptop will cost more than 20k. Are they gonna charge me for that? It's ridiculous in my opinion.

Actually that's not how it works. If you look at Australia's duty free limit of A$900 per traveller on goods purchased new either at airport duty free stores before entry or overseas, Thailand's 20,000 Baht limit, which works out to be approx. A$800 is only about A$100 lower at current rates of exchange and would likely apply only to brand new goods purchased abroad that have been unopened, not used goods like a 2 year old laptop or a 2-3 year old smartphone whose values are difficult to determine.

And if that's not enough, enforcement will be very lax because as we all know, only Indian traders carrying 10 boxes are ever asked to go through the red channel on arrival (or have their goods x-rayed). Out of dozens and dozens of trips into and out of Thailand via Suvarnabhumi alone (and before that, Don Muang) over the years, the number of inspections I've been subject to has been a grand total of one. And that was only because I had a lot of luggage with me and was travelling with my fiancee, but the "inspection" was over in about 7 seconds.

At land borders inspections are even more lax, travel by car and your vehicle won't even be inspected. Smart smugglers will go as far as knowing which border checkpoints to use, hint the bigger ones are more likely to have inspections while the smaller ones don't do anything. The other option is a quick backhander to customs who are too lazy to even inspect what you've got - just tell them what you have, and hand them 100-200 Baht, which will get you across the line. Or you can always have your goods come in via a smaller unofficial gate near the official one; there are more than a dozen lining the Moei river below the official Friendship Bridge in Mae Sot alone.

Where in the OP dos it state that this only applies to new goods. They way I read it is that it allies to all goods, new or second hand. Apparently, most of the posters here think so too. If new (unopened) goods, then this should be specifically stated, as that makes a huge difference.

Where does it say that it also applies to secondhand goods like my 6-year old, half-ripped university t-shirt that I only wear at night or at home? I wouldn't take any notice what posters here think, a lot of the comments on this website are based on opinion or hearsay, so I wouldn't take most posts seriously even if the majority think the same. I don't think you can infer much from the OP, it certainly didn't say anything useful in it, and since when was Thai journalism any good at providing details? Really...you should know better.

As I said, surely the duty-free allowance will be assessed in a similar way to Australia. No country places an arbitrary value on used clothing, books, toilet paper, food and whatever other goods you might be bringing with you. Brand new overseas purchased watches, handbags, perfumes, laptops, mobile phones, other electronic items, yes.

My mia noi likes red wine and, wine being heavily taxed in the Kingdom, I brought her two five-liter boxes of red wine from California. Because I didn't want to get into trouble, I stopped at the Customs counter to declare the wine. They looked at me as if I were crazy; they had no idea what to do with me. Finally, one of them put their finger to their lips as if to say, "Shhhhhh", and waved me on. I've never bothered to declare again. Thainess.

My three Thai travelling companions and I brought in countless bottles and cans of beer from Laos back to Thailand in my car on a recent trip. My fiancee and I actually only brought in the legal duty-free allowance, but my two friends brought in probably 3-4 times their legal allowance. Knowing that the chance of having my car inspected as being almost 0, I didn't worry at all and of course after passing through customs where the officer only took a quick look inside my car without me having to open the doors, we took out the bounty and transferred it to my friend's car in the nearby car park where they had parked during our trip into Laos.