Bluebottles invade Phuket beaches

webfact

Bluebottles invade Phuket beaches
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1436929425_1-org.jpg
Lifeguards have found bluebottles washed ashore at many Phuket beaches. Photo: PLGS

PHUKET: -- Tourists and other beachgoers have been warned to be on the lookout for dangerous bluebottles, also called Portuguese Man o’ War, after specimens were found washed ashore at Patong on Monday (July 13).

The Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) also noted that bluebottles had been found on the sands at Surin, Kamala and Nai Thon beaches, on Phuket’s northwest coast.

“These bluebottles have been brought ashore by the southwest monsoon. Please beware,” the DMCR warning said.

Prathaiyut Chuayuan of the Phuket Life Guard Service warned that bluebottles can deliver a debilitating sting.

“Last year, lifeguards helped two tourists after they were stung,” he told The Phuket News.

“They could not breath well, but we immediately treated them with first aid and had them taken to hospital before their condition became serious.”

Lifeguards find bluebottles on Phuket’s beaches every year, but are well prepared to treat victims stung by them, Mr Prathaiyut said.

“Our lifeguards are trained to cleanse the sting by washing it only with warm water,” he explained.

“They specifically do not use vinegar, as this can make the sting worse. Then they have the victims taken to hospital as soon as possible. That’s it,” he said.

In the meantime, lifeguards will post signs to warn all people visiting the beaches to beware the dangerous stingers, Mr Prathaiyut added.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/bluebottles-invade-phuket-beaches-53212.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-15

I personally would not swim in the water if there are bluebottles around. They have very long slim tentacles which are almost invisible in the water and it's easy to swim into them. I have been stung by them and it was an experience that I never want to repeat. I was hospitalised, unconscious and the next day I was paralysed. But admittedly I had thier tentacles all over my body and arms. A friend who was with me also got stung nearly died.
People react differently to the poison in these jellyfish but all suffer extreme pain and most have to be hospitalised.
Fortunately they come and go quite quickly so it's best not to swim while they are around