BKK Police Chief Angered by Breathalyser Test Requests

Lite Beer

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"BANGKOK The commander of Bangkok's police force lashed out at volunteer traffic cops who asked him to take a breathalyser test even after he insisted he was not drunk.

Pol.Lt.Gen. Sriwarah Rangsipramkul described the incident to reporters this morning, and said he has now ordered his subordinates to improve the "quality" of traffic officers."

So that's the standard for judging quality then? If you insist you are not drunk and don't smell of alcohol alls well and good and you don't have to take the test?

Sometimes it might be better if officials think through what they are about to say first.

This would be funny if it wasn't for the fact this individual seems to be quite serious in his views.

Certainly helps explain the death toll due to drunk drivers with this kind of leadership.

Wouldn;t it have been nice if he had had a press conference with the Volunteer Police there praising them for having subjected him to a breath test despite his rank......I guess I must be dreaming.
Dreaming?

Maybe, but I'd say that scenario is entering the realm of pure fantasy when you consider this guy's attitude to the world and his egocentric perception of his elevated position in it.

It is a continuation of a pattern of behaviour that has existed for decades. In recent times we have seen the senior customs official box the ears of a staff member of the airport ( for trying to screen him through security); also the former chief cop taking a gun onto a plane. This is the culture of those who see themselves as untouchable, above the law, accountable to no one.

The solution in this case should be simple: the sack. Won't happen because those above him have the same attitude.

And guess who is not doing anything to correct either the RTP or the customs mafia? I think when a politician advocates for change it is becoming obvious that change will not happen. First blundering Barry and now the tiny general.

" I rolled down my window and told them I hadn’t drunk any alcohol,"

So here we have it...it's official; if you are stopped by the police at a DD checkpoint, all you have to do is roll down your window and clearly say.........

"I haven't drunk any alcohol" - and they must let you drive on.......

please, other TV members do let us all know how you get on with this........

The checkpoint cops doing a good job, sounds like a new police chief required.

In the UK he would have have his driving licence taken away.

Failure to comply with a breath test request can carry a heavier penalty in many countries than the penalties for the actual alcohol level...it is quite clear he doesn't know enough about the law to act appropriately.....is he really a suitable candidate for the job?

Next time I get stopped I will say no and refer to this article and not only expect but demand to be allowed to go without any tests

Me too, and I will add that a lot of foreign guys on TVF were really pissed off about it, I'm sure that will help. thumbsup.gif

"Recently I passed through a drunk-driving checkpoint. I rolled down my window and told them I hadn’t drunk any alcohol, but the [police] volunteers said, 'you have to take the breathalyzer test,'" Pol.Lt.Gen. Sriwarah recounted. "I told them no five times, but the volunteers wouldn't give in."

"If those volunteers were quality people, and had some wits, they would have realised that I didn't smell of any alcohol. Eventually, I had to tell them who I was and get out of my car and criticise them."

A self-confirmed nincompoop, if I ever saw one..., can't even wait to remove one foot before shoving in the other one.

How can both the Gov't & Royal Thai Police expect respect, when they believe they are above the law & should be treated differently to the rest of population.

Pol.Lt.Gen. Sriwarah Rangsipramkul, may need to visit Army HQ for some "attitude adjustment"!!

I thought it was a two thousand baht fine and a trip to the local cells if one refused a breathalyser test seems he got of lightly one law for every one just because he is a copper he should not be treated any different !

If im a top police chef in any country i surely travel with my own private motorcade and stuff like that... with sirens and flashlights and rounded up people around my route... there is absolutely no way anyone would breaCthalyze me that way for sure! w00t.gif

Would you please re-write your post so that it is some-way understandable?

There are some drinks like Vodka which do not very much odor and the Office was correct to request. The Chief should have an attitude adjustment by the good General/PM.

If he knew anything about Leadership he would have taken the test as requested and commend the officer as Drunk Driving is a contagion in Thailand and cost many lives every year !!

This is not Thai bashing but good for the volunteers. Make him breath on those unhygienic devices. I don't drink but I've been asked multiple times to take a test. Do they even use their common sense to smell the alcoholic breath before insisting on a test? No. Do they use disable tubes? No. Talk about an easy way to transmit TB!

"If those volunteers were quality people, and had some wits, they would have realised that I didn't smell of any alcohol. Eventually, I had to tell them who I was and get out of my car and criticise them."

Humm, the way I see it, if they had QUALITY police commanders, he would have praised them for doing their job, taken the breathalyzer test and been on his way with no controversial news report. I'm thinking he had something to hide.

I've never seen such a clear case of someone high on the totem pole in Thai society, should I say elite, acting like the God they think they are and right into the microphones as if he really thought what he was saying was right...wow!

If he had any quality himself then he should have taken the test and commend the volunteers for doing a good job, everyone are equal to the law... but obviously this high ranking officer sees himself above the law.

Of course he isn't above the law, but he isn't very far below it either. They aren't very good at PR are they, if you have dicks at the top surely one should try to hide the fact.

If im a top police chef in any country i surely travel with my own private motorcade and stuff like that... with sirens and flashlights and rounded up people around my route... there is absolutely no way anyone would breaCthalyze me that way for sure! w00t.gif

Would you please re-write your post so that it is some-way understandable?

He's drunk.

Just because he is a Police Chief does not make him immune to the laws.

You want to set an example and now you say you want quality officers. Your the problem not the officer who asked you to take a test.

Does not matter that you are a Police Chief Does not matter that you where not drinking. No where in the law does it

state that High ranking Police officers are immune from taking a breathalyzer test.

Sac this guy he is a true embarrassment to the police force or should I say farce

And the current PM says that he'll leave police reform to the future government. Well, Mr PM, I'm sorry but it's time to get off your backside and start the reforms now. This senior officer is one of the reasons why!!

What buffoon. In certain areas of town, overtime I am drive through a checkpoint, as they are asking me if I've been drinking their already shoving that wand in my face. "Deum whisky mai? BAO!!!!"

I can barely answer before their telling me to blow and these days I never have even a single beer before driving and for sure I don't smell of alcohol. So does this little tirade mean the cops are gonna lighten up ?

And the problem with taking the test was?

Either he had been drinking, or he is so impressed with his own importance that the law which he is charged with upholding does not apply.

What a dipstick. What an upsidedown logic he applies.

If Prayut had any guts he should at least be prosecuted for refusing to take the test.

So who will be the first policeman to now push the boundries to the max and get blind drunk on an aircraft while carrying a gun. Precedence has been set for both defences. "do you know who I am, I am not drunk and I never knew I was carrying my gun". Obviously innocent then M'Laud! rolleyes.gif

Archived