State Of Emergency In Thailand

Mobi

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Goodness. I don't know whether to go to work or not.

should i drive the 50 km to work in Rayong today?

If you work in a school or bank I would say stay home. Otherwise go to work. I have a womens clothing store in Pattaya and we are open. I think we are far enough from Bangkok and there are no military on the streets here. It's business as usual.

Edited by Rdrokit

For people in Thailand whos TV has gone..

Download this program to access news channels via internet:

http://www.tvunetworks.com/downloads/index.htm

Martial law has indeed been declared.. DO NOT GO OUT.

Shoot, I don't gots food left in the fridge. Can I still go to 7/11?

No, death by firing squad for those seen entering 7-11's.:o

I've just been down sukhumvit, all is VERY quiet, almost no traffic, and everywhere is closed.

I've heard that most schools are closed along with many businesses.. I am staying home today, as the threat of a counter coup could spark trouble. Many thais I talked to limit the problem to government, and doubt it will affect the general population. The soldiers I came accross were very nice, and non-threatning.

I'm hoping that this doesn't get bad, I really dont want to make a mad dash for the nearly embassy.

I think the media maybe hyping this up, as most of you know, the general Thai population don't give a rats arse about what happens in government.

Cheers all.

Can someone translate whats on the tv now?

They are simply saying what's been weitten here in many postings and that is that banks, government offices and stock exchnage are closed. Many of the officials have been asked to attend a meeting at 9 am for more info.

Thaksin's son, Panthongtae, is believed to have left on a flight to Singapore along with Khunying Potjaman and Minister of the PM's Office Newin Chidchob at 9pm last night.

Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai and Foreign Minister Kantathi Suphamongkol were all in New York with Mr Thaksin, whose speech to the UN General Assembly tomorrow should be interesting. A caretaker prime minister who no longer has a country to take care of.

Agriculture Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan and Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak are currently in France, and likely to postpone their return.

The source for this is the Bangkok Post.

:o:D:D:D:D

From US, Thaksin bans foreign travel

Speaking via a webcam connection from New York, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Tuesday ordered his cabinet ministers not to make unnecessary overseas trips.

He cited political uncertainties during the run-up to the general election later this year, and told ministers via the Internet link they should only travel when it was vital.

Mr Thaksin, joining the weekly cabinet meeting via the Internet link during his five-day visit to New York, told his cabinet members that under the current circumstances, especially regarding political uncertainty, they should not travel abroad except for highly necessary purposes, such as making preparations for visits by members of the Royal family.

The report on Mr Thaksin's order from abroad was delivered to the public by caretaker Deputy Public Health Minister Anutin Chanvirakul.

The prime minister also was reported to have asked the ministers to suspend their planned overseas visits for bilateral meetings on any issues.

Government deputy spokeswoman Sansanee Nakpong said the prime minister did not want the cabinet members to travel overseas except for necessary business.

Mr Thaksin reportedly recommended the ministers to send their assistants to go on their behalf. If cabinet members must make overseas trips during this period, they must ask for his permission in advance for at least one week. (TNA)

Declaration of state of emergency in Thailand

The following is a statement by the Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy.

As from this moment on, the Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy, comprising the commanders-in-chief of the three Armed Forces and the Royal Thai Police, has now taken control of Bangkok and its peripheral areas, and there has been no obstruction.

In order to maintain peace and order in the country, members of the public are requested to render cooperation.

The Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy apologizes for inconvenience.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 September 2006

My wife says that the army head said that they have a goal of cutting out all the laws from Thai year 2540 to now. What does that mean?

Since this is year 2549, I think it means that the Constitution of 1997 is no longer in effect.

My wife says that the army head said that they have a goal of cutting out all the laws from Thai year 2540 to now. What does that mean?

Since this is year 2549, I think it means that the Constitution of 1997 is no longer in effect.

So what laws would that cut out? Any that might affect us?

That means there is marshal law which is whatever the military sets up. We have to wait and see what is instore for us.

Since I am fairly certain that Coups were no longer authorized in the 1997 constitution it would make sense to say it is no longer in effect. :o Otherwise the coup instigators would be breaking the law. With it no longer in effect it isn't a problem. :D

That means there is marshal law which is whatever the military sets up. We have to wait and see what is instore for us.

The one sure thing about Coups is the Military does not have to be in compliance with any laws they choose not to follow. Whatever laws the military comes up with will be only temporary until they decide to turn things over to a government. The real question is who will they turn things over to and when? I just hope things work out for the locals, Thais and Xpats included.

The one sure thing about Coups is the Military does not have to be in compliance with any laws they choose not to follow. Whatever laws the military comes up with will be only temporary until they decide to turn things over to a government. The real question is who will they turn things over to and when? I just hope things work out for the locals, Thais and Xpats included.

Amen!

"I am fairly certain that Coups were no longer authorized in the 1997 constitution"

I have never heard of an "authorized" coup.

That was sarcasm. They can't really be authorized because usually the people that are being displaced by the Coup are the ones who can authorize the military to take action.