State Of Emergency In Thailand

Mobi

Thailand is not a democracy it is a Constitutional Monarchy

Hopefully it is now a democratic Monarchy, you have to live here to realize that Thatksin's idea of democracy was to buy enough votes to look like a democracy, then making the rules, regulations and laws to favor him and lining his pockets, funneling money off from the treasury to his relatives and friends and loyal cronies while trying to give the impression of running a democracy.

Part of a democracy is popular vote and the other part is checks and balances, Thatkin won the majority of the vote by clever vote buying, then manipulated the checks and balances in many devious ways. It is a relief to have him out and I hope they indict him so he does not try to return.

I love Thailand and support the coup. Unfortunately I left on the 14th for a 3 week vacation in Hawaii and keeping my fingers crossed they will let me back into the country.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thaksin slowly restricted democracy, the press, and made laws to favor him and his friends during his reign. This should be a good thing for Thailand as long as they restore democracy as soon as possible, and the new government, once elected, is pro-democracy and restores the free press that Thaksin liked to censor.

Just wait and see, and don't overreact.

Taksin will wait it out in traditional chinese style and take as much from thailand when he can.

Hopfull this is the end of him but who knows. Money talks and he's robbed tens of billions of dollars from thailand the last few years maybe a lot lot more.

Armed forces station at Royal Thai Air Force

Armed military officers and tanks have mobilized themselves at the Royal Thai Air Force and along Vipavadee-Rangsit Road, following the peaceful military coup.

The Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy has temporarily seized the national administration. Meanwhile, the armed forces are stationed at the entrance and exit passages of the Royal Thai Air Force and its military base. Vehicles are disallowed to enter the base today even though they have the authorized passes.

The army officers are also providing security from Vipavadee-Rangsit Road to Don Muang Airport.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 September 2006

so ok lads what do we do ,

do we here in Pattaya, carry on as normal ,

or should we stay in our houses E T C

do we with draw as much as we can , money from our bank accounts ,

Poppa,

calm down, it will all be quiet by the weekend and the only noticable difference will be more baht for your dollars / pounds / euros

The situation around Gen. Prem's residence is in order

The atmosphere around Si Sao Theves residence of the Privy Council President and Statesman, Gen. Prem Tinsulanonda (เปรม ติณสูลานนท์), is orderly, following the military coup.

No disturbing situations have taken place around Gen. Prem’s residence since last night. About 30 officers from Nawamin (นวมินทร์) Camp in Chonburi (ชลบุรี) Province have been dispatched to ensure security along the routes from his home to the Statue of King Chulalongkorn.

People with no involvement are disallowed to enter Gen. Prem’s residence, and only the working officers with authorized passes can go through the area. To prevent any unrest situation, all government officials must wear their proper uniforms and identify their positions before entering the Statesman’s home.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 September 2006

Armed forces station at Royal Thai Air Force

Armed military officers and tanks have mobilized themselves at the Royal Thai Air Force and along Vipavadee-Rangsit Road, following the peaceful military coup.

The Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy has temporarily seized the national administration. Meanwhile, the armed forces are stationed at the entrance and exit passages of the Royal Thai Air Force and its military base. Vehicles are disallowed to enter the base today even though they have the authorized passes.

The army officers are also providing security from Vipavadee-Rangsit Road to Don Muang Airport.

Maybe I'm missing something........what constitution are they referring to ?

Maybe I'm missing something........what constitution are they referring to ?

You're right. Translation problem i guess. I saw since last night differents versions.

The Administrative Reform Council

The Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy

From BKK post "the Democratic Reform Council with the monarch as its head" (i think that must be the good translation)

Edited by cclub75

The coup would simply tell the world that Democracy in not suitable in Thailand.

History would repeat itself.

It is a big lot down for those students who fought for democracy to bring down

the military rule many many years ago.

History has repeat itself once again.

Watch and see...... A counter coup would come again.

It is a matter of time.

Thailand has never never learnt to know the real meaning of the word “ Democracy “.

Every time they don’t like the Government, the only word they know is the “ Coup “.

In conclusion, they are welcome to join the Pakistan and the Burma group of Nations.

Thailand is not ready for true democracy. Wake up Thailand!

Anyone know what the coloured armbands and ribbons signify? The ones in the photos all seem to be yellow but the soldiers I've seen around the port and PTT depot are all wearing blue ones. Different units, I guess?

I thought the yellow ribbons were for allegiance to the king...

troops wearing blue ones worries me…

BB

I am fairly new here and I dont know if this site is in Thailand. If it is, I see people mentioning censorship and right now is the time to think before you write anything derogatory about the coup until things settle. I'd hate to see them shut this down. Its a good link for us who have loved ones there to keep abreast of what may be going on.

Criticism of the government or the army is acceptable

Comments, other than straightforward news reporting, about HM the King will not be allowed.

Astral

:o-->

QUOTE(Basil B @ 2006-09-20 12:57:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyone know what the coloured armbands and ribbons signify? The ones in the photos all seem to be yellow but the soldiers I've seen around the port and PTT depot are all wearing blue ones. Different units, I guess?

I thought the yellow ribbons were for allegiance to the king...

troops wearing blue ones worries me…

Mais non ! Blue is the color of the Queen. And a regiment of queen's guards took part.

The coup would simply tell the world that Democracy in not suitable in Thailand.

History would repeat itself.

It is a big lot down for those students who fought for democracy to bring down

the military rule many many years ago.

History has repeat itself once again.

Watch and see...... A counter coup would come again.

It is a matter of time.

Thailand has never never learnt to know the real meaning of the word “ Democracy “.

Every time they don’t like the Government, the only word they know is the “ Coup “.

In conclusion, they are welcome to join the Pakistan and the Burma group of Nations.

Thailand is not ready for true democracy. Wake up Thailand!

Maybe the students who respond to the request for input on governmental improvements will suggest checks and balances with consequences for the PM.

It's heartening to read that professors were included in early discussions by the coup leaders. It implies they are in earnest in their efforts to make effective reform.

Im flying out later tonight does anyone know of the traffic situation around the airport can I expect delays?

REALY quiet .... (at the swamp) ;-)

just normal traffic .. but no jams at all for now..

'Wicked witch is dead'

Jason Staines

September 20, 2006 - 3:02PM

Local Thais are happy the country's military has overthrown Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, according to an author in the country.

Lonely Planet author Joe Cummins, who is in the northern town of Pai, says there's a sense of celebration in the air after the bloodless coup.

"Here life is going as usual, the banks are all closed today ... there's a mild atmosphere of celebration, like the wicked witch is dead," he says.

"There's a sense that it's been coming and every Thai I've spoken to is happy that Thaksin is out."

Coup leaders declared martial law and a provisional authority loyal to the king after months of political turmoil, with Thaksin facing allegations of corruption and electoral fraud.

Mr Cummins says foreign tourists are worried about their safety, but no one is panicking.

"A lot of tourists are a little bit apprehensive of the news. There's a lot of people taking phone calls and getting on the internet trying to find out if they're safe," he says.

The situation was not helped by a lack of foreign news sources immediately after the coup, with the BBC and CNN both blocked, forcing foreigners into internet cafes to find out the latest news.

But Mr Cummins says local Thais are reassuring foreigners that coups have been par for the course in Thailand and they will be safe.

Last night's overthrow of the government was Thailand's first coup in 15 years and its 18th since becoming a constitutional monarchy in 1932.

As for the future, Mr Cummins feels democracy will only be taking a short holiday.

"I think it will come out like it did in 1991-92, when there was one year of military rule while they sorted out the details before it was back to democracy," he says.

Nothing to fear

Some Australians bound for Thailand were stranded in Singapore overnight after their flight was diverted because of the coup, but an Australian on holidays in Bangkok says tourists have little to fear, despite warnings from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Updated travel advice from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade urged Australians in Thailand to "stay indoors", but Noel Gokel, from Darwin, said today everything "felt normal" when he woke up this morning.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/tha...8431757572.html

BBC TV came back on about 2 minutes ago ...

I my opinion, I think this is a scheme from Taksin. Why? This had been done before over 30 years ago. It's an old trick. Why now when the General Election is on its way next month? Why couldn't they wait? Why now?

When military took over the government. You can call what ever name you want, but I think it just a changing powers from one hand to another! This is a scheme that most Thais don't know or playing dumb.

Military would say, "We don't like the situation right now. Let's do it!"

Then they will say, "Ok, it's done. We've controled the country."

"We will choose Taksin as an interim Prime Minister for the time being." (that could last 20 years!)

Don't laugh, guys. It had been done before. Stripping down Thai Constitution and impose Martial Laws. Now there is no more Democracy, no Constitution, Taksin is completely above the Laws!

A very concerned Thai citizen

Golf

I my opinion, I think this is a scheme from Taksin. Why? This had been done before over 30 years ago. It's an old trick. Why now when the General Election is on its way next month? Why couldn't they wait? Why now?

When military took over the government. You can call what ever name you want, but I think it just a changing powers from one hand to another! This is a scheme that most Thais don't know or playing dumb.

"We will choose Taksin as an interim Prime Minister for the time being." (that could last 20 years!)

Don't laugh, guys. It had been done before. Stripping down Thai Constitution and impose Martial Laws. Now there is no more Democracy, no Constitution, Taksin is completely above the Laws!

Golf

Sorry for being rude and ask you, but...Are you on crack??? Thaksin "as an interim Prime Minister "??? I would call it okay if he wouldn't got shot the very moment he steps foot in Thailand, IF snd only IF he will step foot in Thailand.

Golf

If this were the ultimate goal, I don't think they would have timed it so that Thaksin "lost face" as badly as he has in front of the U.N. and the world's leaders.