State Of Emergency In Thailand

Mobi

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I my opinion, I think this is a scheme from Taksin. Why? This had been done before over 30 years ago. It's an old trick. Why now when the General Election is on its way next month? Why couldn't they wait? Why now?

When military took over the government. You can call what ever name you want, but I think it just a changing powers from one hand to another! This is a scheme that most Thais don't know or playing dumb.

Military would say, "We don't like the situation right now. Let's do it!"

Then they will say, "Ok, it's done. We've controled the country."

"We will choose Taksin as an interim Prime Minister for the time being." (that could last 20 years!)

Don't laugh, guys. It had been done before. Stripping down Thai Constitution and impose Martial Laws. Now there is no more Democracy, no Constitution, Taksin is completely above the Laws!

A very concerned Thai citizen

Golf

Sorry for being rude and ask you, but...Are you on crack??? Thaksin "as an interim Prime Minister "??? I would call it okay if he wouldn't got shot the very moment he steps foot in Thailand, IF snd only IF he will step foot in Thailand.

I siad it because it had been done before. I could be wrong, but that was my two cents. I was born in Thailand, I am a Thai citizen, I have seen this kind of thing over and over again in my lifetime. What about you?

Golf

Im flying out later tonight does anyone know of the traffic situation around the airport can I expect delays?

REALY quiet .... (at the swamp) ;-)

just normal traffic .. but no jams at all for now..

Took the surface street from DinDaeg to the airport this morning, traffic was light. The airport is open, the lines to the ticket counter wasn't long. My wife's flight to the US left on time, so far so good. Hopefully it'll stay this way throughout the day and night. :o

A bit off topic but has anyone seen the speech Thaksin made?

I have seen about 10-15 seconds last night (on CNN) where he was saying: The terrorism in the South is there because people not attend school and are stupid (If I remember well).

I had a few Thai friends at my house and they asked me what did he say?

When I told them what he just said they became so angry and were telling me that Thanksin

keep the people low educated on purpose and not only in the South.

2 years ago when I first got to know them I told them about all of the bad things Thaksin was doing

to Thailand and it's people but they did not believe me.

It took me hours and hours to show them what was really going on behind the scenes.

Still one of them fully supports him no matter what I show.

But at least now 90% of my friends agree that Mai pen rai is not the way to go and their eyes are opened.

Sorry for being off topic but did not know where else to post.

So my question: Did anyone else see his speech?

I know he cancelled his speech, but then what did I see on CNN?

Kind regards,

Alex

I have seen about 10-15 seconds last night (on CNN) where he was saying: The terrorism in the South is there because people not attend school and are stupid (If I remember well).

When I told them what he just said they became so angry and were telling me that Thanksin

2 years ago when I first got to know them I told them about all of the bad things Thaksin was doing

It took me hours and hours to show them what was really going on behind the scenes.

But at least now 90% of my friends agree that Mai pen rai is not the way to go and their eyes are opened.

Kind regards,

Alex

Maybe we saw a similar broadcast from Thaksin's pre-coup press conference at the Council of Foreign Relations, in the USA. I thought his explanation to the international press was overly simplistic (the southern Thais revolt because they're poor). The website for cfr org yesterday only mentioned that he would talk; not sure if they have his words on the website yet.

Kind regards,

Alex

Alex, last info I received was that Taksin's speech that was supposed to be made at the UN was cancelled :o

Just now the BBC cable channel news was interviewing a woman who was saying she didn't like the way the constitution had been abrogated and she would prefer to see Thaksin tried in a court... and then it was cut off. Now it's back to international news. :o

Perhaps this, from today's BKK Post ?

Thais rally against PM's NY speech

HARRY ROLNICK

New York - Thais living in New York protested against caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday, shouting about his alleged failures and abuses of power after he delivered a speech at the Council on Foreign Relations.

Gathered outside the building, they accused him of "murder" in the deep South and corruption.

The demonstrators, who denied being part of any organisation, said those who listened to the prime minister inside the building had "no respect" for the people of Thailand. The prime minister, on leaving the building, showed no indication of their presence, and drove off to the Thai consulate.

Sponsored by the council and the Asia Society during a week when nearly 100 political leaders would be in New York for the opening of the United Nations General Assembly, Mr Thaksin's speech was about democracy.

He began by saying that while he has ideas about democracy, "Americans probably know democracy in their sleep".

"Yet," he said, "one democracy doesn't suit all. The only test of a democracy is whether it is for the people."

He then attempted to explain that Thai democracy had certain restrictions.

For one thing, he said, "when the people have spoken through elections, the results must not be compromised by demonstrations in the street".

"The priority must be to avoid a violent settlement, or else accusations will be pointed at the system about dictatorial violence. This tactic appears in Thai politics, I regret to say."

The prime minister was happy to answer questions, which encompassed a wide range of personal and private concerns.

The first question concerned the sale of Shin Corp to Temasek Holdings of Singapore and his failure to pay capital gains taxes.

"It is true that they asked me in Thailand: 'Why is it that a noodle-seller pays taxes but you don't?' " he admitted. "But the rules of capital gains taxes are very confusing in Thailand, and I myself do not understand them all."

He was more blunt about the causes of problems in southern Thailand, explaining that the problem stems from the British separation of the country during colonial times, and how Thai Muslims were anxious to have the same rights as their brethren in Malaysia.

"Without the right education, they cannot participate in economic life and their children go to religious schools, and they turn to fundamentalism," he said. "We can solve this problem using the law, but also using education."

Mr Thaksin answered several questions about the next election, including one where he was accused of being a one of "those democratically elected Asian leaders who are the most unpopular among their people".

Laughing off the allegation, he said democracy didn't depend on the leader, but on transparency of the whole system.

"We have a management team, so our style is different. The only result is how the people are helped, how the people are happy."

In his own case, Mr Thaksin pointed to the Village Fund, the 30-baht medical programme and the "1.5% unemployment rate" as proof of his success.

Mr Thaksin said he had been brought down "by media tycoons" and other business interests. On his political future, he said, he had not decided if he would continue as prime minister, though he would run for parliament with his party.

"We will have elections at the end of November," he promised. "The new government will take office by New Year, and then we will have stability."

Mr Thaksin warned of a basic problem he saw in Asian societies.

"Anti-democratic forces are regrouping," he said. "They are learning to use techniques. Under the perceived weaknesses, indeed the generosity of democracy, they are hitting back at our system."

On Burma, he adamantly denied his "friendship" with the military leadership there was associated with economic benefits for Thailand.

"I speak with the leaders because we are relatives," he said.

:o--> Mais non ! Blue is the color of the Queen. And a regiment of queen's guards took part.

The ribbons used, are as cclub75 writes, probably picked based on the colours of The King and Queen.

Units seem to be from the Royal Thai Army Special Forces in Lopburi.

The ribbons can serve 2 purposes.

One: Showing the civilians that the coupe supports the Thai monarchy.

Secondly: Since the possible “enemy” isn’t from another country, but could come from forces within the same territory, the ribbons might prevent friendly fire

…just a thought!

thai bart sell off down 1.4% against dollar

bart falls sharply against us dollar

What's with these guys who type "bart" and "bath"? Its spelled baht, according to every bank in the world!

Bart is a bratty 10 year-old, and a Bath is something everyone in the world should do at *least* once a month :o

Just reading the article posted above, and Taksin's statements, are a clear indication as to why a bloodless coup has been staged here in Thailand against him and his party. A true leader does not divide his people to have good intentions. A leader who divides does so because they are creating conflict, most usually, to garnish more power away from the people. And ultimately, this is in essence, is very undemocratic at its core. Thailand as a country is very capable of working out its political conflicts in a manner which upholds democracy, and the long loved monarchy which has served the people for generations and generations. This coup is merely a house cleaning which will hopefully rid the nation of the arrogant divisive vermin which the TRT party and Mr. Shinawat has brought upon Thailand.

Just reading the article posted above, and Taksin's statements, are a clear indication as to why a bloodless coup has been staged here in Thailand against him and his party. A true leader does not divide his people to have good intentions. A leader who divides does so because they are creating conflict, most usually, to garnish more power away from the people. And ultimately, this is in essence, is very undemocratic at its core. Thailand as a country is very capable of working out its political conflicts in a manner which upholds democracy, and the long loved monarchy which has served the people for generations and generations. This coup is merely a house cleaning which will hopefully rid the nation of the arrogant divisive vermin which the TRT party and Mr. Shinawat has brought upon Thailand.

Okay Jerry, I will FINALY forgive you now.

Edited by ding

thai bart sell off down 1.4% against dollar

bart falls sharply against us dollar

What's with these guys who type "bart" and "bath"? Its spelled baht, according to every bank in the world!

Bart is a bratty 10 year-old, and a Bath is something everyone in the world should do at *least* once a month :D

Maybe he was talking about coming home to his home in San Francisco by "bart" and took a "bath" and start counting his "baht" exchanged at the bank so he can vacation in Thailand? :o

Just now the BBC cable channel news was interviewing a woman who was saying she didn't like the way the constitution had been abrogated and she would prefer to see Thaksin tried in a court... and then it was cut off. Now it's back to international news. :o

I saw that too, I managed to hear the rest of that interview on the world service radio!

The baht dropped 1.3 percent to 37.72 per dollar at 1:20 p.m. in Bangkok from 37.26 late in Asia yesterday. The currency is still up 8.8 percent this year, the biggest advance among 15 Asia-Pacific currencies tracked by Bloomberg

attribution;

Bloomberg

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=2...id=aYxI1zTH8ZVI

Big deal. It's got a long way to go till it gets to 42 baht/dollar like it was last year.

Anyone, any serious, reliable news that trt members and T. are gathering in Singapore to reshape and work on their/his comeback?

Are they nuts?

If so, this may plunge the country into turmoil and him.....and his cronies to where, final exile?

CNN Headline News is back on the air here in Thailand. However, it's still reporting that "it's unclear who's in charge in Thailand". Since it's Headline News they don't really go into details. It does appear to be on a loop, since the same stories come up again and again, with no indication at what time it was recorded. This report also places Thaksin as being in New York for the UN assembly.

My miserable 2 satang's worth:

My first visit here was over 25 years ago, and I have lived here most of the time now for the last 20 years; 19 years in the North, now in Phuket. I am proud to say that I have given this country and local communities far more than I have ever taken.

Thailand before Thaksin? Does anyone remember?

Thaksin has destroyed this country. Fascism in the name of progress. What we see now is a ghost, or just a shell, of what Thailand was 10 years ago. Thaksin's form of democracy made democracy into a terrible thing; absolute power corrupts absolutely. There was no real democracy at all, the 'landslide' votes were generated by a fantastically well financed and organized roots level money distribution and propaganda machine.

Someone mentioned that the coup, and the lead up to it, were financed by the alcohol and tobacco industries. Of course, they were just a small example of those who were opposed to the TRT, BUT the sheer amounts of corruption by Thai Rak Thai, and the amount of uncontestable control mongering, became simply astounding, overwhelming, and impossible to ignore. I'm talking about the unheard of amounts of money generated, and accrued, by the fellow school classmates of Thaksin, his cabinet members, the TRT party heads, Thaksin's family,and the Thai/Chinese community in general, it is completely beyond belief, and actually had become illegal to question. The rich get so rich that they can pay the poor to vote for them and carry their flag, it's just that simple.

These guys that pulled the transition: They knew what they were doing, they knew who would support them, and it seems to me today that they realized how to do it in the least harmful way. They did their homework and the timing was perfect. There is huge public support at the moment.

I for one, as a very long term Thailand resident, hope that the Thaksin years will become a distant reminder of how someone can corruptively control not just government, but basically everything, to generate even more wealth and power... if he has enough money to pay for it. It's an old story throughout history of course. This time it's our legacy to repair.

I admire the people that finally stood up to say, 'I've had enough and I can't take it any more!" A totally corrupt democracy, filthy, dirty and filled lies and death, is not a democracy at all. If someone has anything to say about that, I will just say that you haven't lived here in Prathet Thai long enough to know and understand. Thailand WILL become a better place.

'Old and in the way' in Phuket

Edited by blam

My misterable 2 satang's worth:

My first visit here was over 25 years ago, and I have lived here most of the time now for the last 20 years; 19 years in the North, now in Phuket. I am proud to say that I have given this country and local communities far more than I have ever taken.

Thaksin has destroyed this country. Fascism in the name of progress. What we see now is a ghost, or just a shell, of what Thailand was 10 years ago. Thaksin's form of democracy made democracy into a terrible thing; absolute power corrupts absolutely. There was no real democracy at all, the 'landslide' votes were generated by a fantastically well financed and organized roots level money distribution and propaganda machine.

Someone mentioned that the coup, and the lead up to it, were financed by the alcohol and tobacco industries. Of course, they were just a small example of those who were opposed to the TRT, BUT the sheer amounts of corruption by Thai Rak Thai, and the amount of uncontestable control mongering, became simply astounding, overwhelming, and impossible to ignore. I'm talking about the sheer amounts of money generated, and accrued, by the fellow school classmates of Thaksin, his cabinet members, the TRT party heads, Thaksin's family,and the Thai/Chinese community in general, it is completely beyond belief, and actually had become illegal to question. The rich get so rich that they can pay the poor to vote for them and carry their flag, it's just that simple.

These guys that pulled the transition: They knew what they were doing, they knew who would support them, and it seems to me today that they realized how to do it in the least harmful way. They did their homework and the timing was perfect. There is huge public support at the moment.

I for one, as a very long term Thailand resident, hope that the Thaksin years will become a distant reminder of how someone can corruptively control not just government, but basically everything, to generate even more wealth and power... if he has enough money to pay for it. It's an old story throughout history of course. This time it's our legacy to repair.

I admire the people that finally stood up to say, 'I've had enough and I can't take it any more!" A totally corrupt democracy, filthy, dirty and filled lies and death, is not a democracy at all. If someone has anything to say about that, I will just say that you haven't lived here in Prathet Thai long enough to know and understand. Thailand WILL become a better place.

Blam, I totally agree with your comments, and although I myself have only lived here for 7 years, things are continuing to change for the worst under this govts handling. The chosen few are getting richer whilst the average Joe Blow is taken advantage of.

There are things which I know from a well versed source that I simply would not repeat here, but suffice to say that I have absolutely no doubt that Thaksin and his chosen few were the most corrupt of the corrupt. Good riddance to bad rubbish

Okay Jerry, I will FINALY forgive you now.

Thank you...remember that underneath veneer of evil lies good sometimes...besides, all I was doing was gettin some while preachin the way of the lord... :o

I cannot believe that any of you can condone that a democratically elected government (no matter how corrupt it might be) is removed by military force. I for one hope that the people of Thailand will rise up against this as I cant believe that a set of military generals etc. will give the power back to the people and at the same time disband the parliament and remove the constitution. So the only outcome I can see is that Thailand will be a military dictatorship for the foreseeable future unless the people act against it now.

P.S. I hope to have the whole thing go peaceful as my wife has family living in Bangkok.

My misterable 2 satang's worth:

Someone mentioned that the coup, and the lead up to it, were financed by the alcohol and tobacco industries. Of course, they were just a small example of those who were opposed to the TRT, BUT the sheer amounts of corruption by Thai Rak Thai, and the amount of uncontestable control mongering, became simply astounding, overwhelming, and impossible to ignore. I'm talking about the sheer amounts of money generated, and accrued, by the fellow school classmates of Thaksin, his cabinet members, the TRT party heads, Thaksin's family,and the Thai/Chinese community in general, it is completely beyond belief, and actually had become illegal to question. The rich get so rich that they can pay the poor to vote for them and carry their flag, it's just that simple.

Blam, I totally agree with your comments, and although I myself have only lived here for 7 years, things are continuing to change for the worst under this govts handling. The chosen few are getting richer whilst the average Joe Blow is taken advantage of.

There are things which I know from a well versed source that I simply would not repeat here, but suffice to say that I have absolutely no doubt that Thaksin and his chosen few were the most corrupt of the corrupt. Good riddance to bad rubbish

I totally and completely agree here...let's hope for the Kingdom to get back on track ASAP. Bless the ones who had the courage to stand-up. Maybe, this can be an inspiration for a country like the US, which is so deep in denial about their own democracy and governmental criminality, that they actually try to spread their style across the globe...what a charade.

My miserable 2 satang's worth:

Someone mentioned that the coup, and the lead up to it, were financed by the alcohol and tobacco industries. Of course, they were just a small example of those who were opposed to the TRT, BUT the sheer amounts of corruption by Thai Rak Thai, and the amount of uncontestable control mongering, became simply astounding, overwhelming, and impossible to ignore. I'm talking about the unheard of amounts of money generated, and accrued, by the fellow school classmates of Thaksin, his cabinet members, the TRT party heads, Thaksin's family,and the Thai/Chinese community in general, it is completely beyond belief, and actually had become illegal to question. The rich get so rich that they can pay the poor to vote for them and carry their flag, it's just that simple.

Hi 'Blam"

Well I first came to Thailand in the early seventies and spent some 10 years working here in the mid seventies, early eighties. Since then I have made frequent tript to LOS and have observed progress in the country through the eighties, nineties, to the present day. I used to spend a great deal of time in the Bangkok and the Eastern seaboard area, and have been living here, retired for the past 4 years, firstly in Bangkok and latterly in Pattaya. I have also travelled extensively in Thailand over the past 30 plus years, and while not fluent, I can certainly hold my own in Thai and Issan dialects.

There is absolutely nothing in your post that I can disagree with - in fact I will copy it and send it to my friends and family so that they can better understand what has happened here.

In all my years in Thailand I have never seen such a venal, arrogant and evil man as the person who has just been deposed. I am so happy for Thailand that this "dark" period is at and end, and that it will hopefully usher in a fairer and more democratic era for the ordinary people of Thailand.

"old and past it in Pong"