• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From a post on the 2bangkok forum

"All land borders are closed" as at 9.45am thai time today

is this really true?

why would they do that but keep the airport open or at least i assume its open?

According to the Bangkok Post, the airport is still open. That was their latest.

:o

short nation.com-update

... After Sonthi finishes reading the statement, a spokeswoman announces that the TV pool is disbanded and TV stations resume normal programmes.

9:50 am A source in New York tells a radio programme that Thaksin is considering whether to go to England or not.

:D

Not that it will do much good (remember Pinochet?), but I am going to write a letter urging the British Government not to allow Thaksin to stay in Britain.

I think all British Citizens should do the same.

This is the 19th coup since 1932, all boodless. 7-11s still open, looks like business as usual.

Hmmm, all bloodless? Better get the facts straight. Last time the army shot a number of protesters.

Thats why they always warn to stay away from protests and key government buildings during these times. They will disperse the crowd and you get caught up in it.

Predictions From May 21

Future headlines:

“Anti government rallies start again” done

“PM moving his fortune out of reach of asset freezing” yet to be verified but I suspect done

“Government sanctioned police action escalates” done

“Court rules against TRT” pending or done if you consider the people can protest.

“PM Thaksin indited” pending

“Democratic party HQ bombed again” not yet

“Military intervenes” done

“Political chaos hurts Thailand’s tourism” done

“New EC seated” done

“Election date set for late July” void

Not to bad for a score

Thaksin’s next move will lend for the next prediction.

If he comes directly back to Thailand expect a fight as soon as he gets here.

If he goes to another country less than 1 hour from Thailand expect he plans a calculated counter coup.

If he pulls his money and stays in the west he has caved.

THAKSIN SEEKS EXILE IN LONDON

The Nation - Septr 20, 2006

Thaksin eyes London move While the premier is likely to fly to London from New York, his wife escapes the coup and manages to flee to Singaporen

Thaksin Shinawatra may fly from New York to London to ponder an exile there as it appears he has lost his political grip at home.

Sources said Thaksin, who has been overthrown by a military coup in 16 years, may fly to join his famฌily in London, where he owns a luxฌury real estate.

As last evening's coup took shape Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra, the wife of the caretaker prime minisฌter, escaped to Singapore.

It was reported that the former Cabinet members of the Thaksin government may try to form a govฌernment in exile, prompting coup leader Gen Sonthi Boonyaklin to invite ambassadors and represenฌtatives of foreign countries in Bangkok for a meeting to clarify the situation.

It was not clear at press time this morning as to whether Thaksin has conceded power.

But any chances of his hope of regaining his power hinges upon a strong military backup, which he appears to have lost support.

Sources said Gen Ruengroj Mahasaranond, the supreme comฌmander, was placed in custody together with Pol Gen Chidchai Vanasatidya, deputy prime minister, as they tried to ward off the coup attempt last night.

Thaksin declared a state of emergency from New York by announcing the removal of Gen Sonthi and ordering him to answer to Chidchai at the PM's Office. He also appointed Gen Ruengroj as in charge of all security aspects in Bangkok.

But Thaksin's military supportฌers were subjugated. State televiฌsion this early morning aired a short video clip showing that Gen Sonthi with other heads of the armed forces made their way to the Chitralada Palace to brief His Majesty the King about the political situation.

It was reported that Gen Prem Tinsulanonda, the president of the Privy Council, had an audience with the King late last night as the coup was under way.

The coup effectively tore apart the 1997 Constitution, abolished the Constitution Court, dissolved Parliaments and the Cabinet.

Gen Sonthi has emerged as Thailand's most powerful magnate at the moment. Thaksin was still in New York last evening and was scheduled to give an address at the UN General Assembly to discuss the current criฌsis in Thailand. But the event was somehow cancelled.

The ousted government's spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said from New York that Thaksin would decide soon if he would still return to Thailand.

"Prime Minister Thaksin is now in New York and he has not yet made up his mind where he will go. But he will have to make a decision soon," he said.

After cancelling his UN speech he holed up in a top New York hotel for much of the day as the coup went ahead in Bangkok.

The billionaire politician still has an official plane at his disposal. He has a private residence in London, where one of his daughters is studying.

A senior Thai official in New York said earlier that Thaksin planned to leave the United States overnight but that his destination was unknown.

A US official in Bangkok said the United States viewed the coup negatively and was keeping a close watch on the political developments in Thailand.

"We hope that the Thai society and the political actors find the way through peacefully. But, the US reacts negatively to what is hapฌpening in Thailand now," he said last night.

It is not known where Panthongtae, the family's only son, is, or whether he followed his mothฌer to Singapore last night. The whereabouts of the PM's daughters Paethongtae and Pinthongta were also not known. Pinthongta is a student in London while Paethongtae is a political science student at Chulalongkorn University.

Contemplating the next move I wonder how the coup leaders want to deal with the promised elections:

They could

1) allow the TRT to participate under a different leader who might be only a front man for Thaksin and take the risk that the TRT wins and goes after the organizers of the coup

2) play it safer and go for a one-party plus a few fake little parties type election

3) allow the TRT to participate but ensure that they lose

4) as a variant of 3) postpone the elections until N. Korea has gone democratic

Hope somebody else can come up with more likely and more positive scenarios.

Edited by Ceedee

30 Days extendable twice and then he should go back to his country of residence for 90 Days (or years).

Personally I think that this was the only course of action left to them after Thaksin refused to step down yesterday. He probably would have won the election again (voted in by the uneducated Farmers) and just carried on filling his pockets

I hate to see the Thai baht in a few days, any currency traders out there short/long at the moment?

Just heard from my boyfriend. we are travelling to thailand in nov, and he just told me the baht has moved already... in Australia its been sitting at around 28 (baht to 1 AUD$) for ages, but today was at low 30's . Good for us... not so good for thai's

Edited by TravelBUG

This is the 19th coup since 1932, all boodless. 7-11s still open, looks like business as usual.

Hmmm, all bloodless? Better get the facts straight. Last time the army shot a number of protesters.

The coup itself was bloodless, it was the demonstrations after the take over where people died. So stay home and do not demonstrate

10:40 am A spokesman of the AMC announces on TV pool that AMC invites students to take part in political reform. The spokesman says Gen Sonthi invites students to send suggestions on political reform to the AMC.

10:42 am A spokesman announces on TV pool that the AMC realises the problem of farmers and is considering how to help them so they should not demonstrate now.

10:45 am An AMC spokeswoman announces on TV pool that the AMC will take drastic action against any trader who hoard goods.

The spokeswoman also announces that the political gathering of more than five people is banned.

10:52 am An AMC spokesman reads an order of AMC leader Gen Sonthi for the Information and Communication Technology Ministry to check and censor any type of information dissemination that could affect the works of the AMC.

Most Popular Headlines Stories

PM's men detained, wife in Singapore

Months of rumours come true

Big impact expected from tougher visa-free entry rules

Statement from the Administrative Reform Council

Coup as it unfolds

In my office, on Lang suan road, everything is deadly quiet too...and on my way from home to the office, I only spotted one soldier. He looked like really lost ( must have fallen from the truck last night on his way to the parliament house...)

Yep, getting cernoship here!

I posted some comments to the nation discussion and they got erased because were egainst current Coup.

10:52 am An AMC spokesman reads an order of AMC leader Gen Sonthi for the Information and Communication Technology Ministry to check and censor any type of information dissemination that could affect the works of the AMC.

Bank of Thailand Governor MR Pridayadhorn Devakula cut short his trip to attend the International Monetary Fund/World Bank meeting in Singapore and he will arrive Bangkok at noontime. He said he agreed to accept to become Prime Minister. Nonetheless, it was expected that there would be a press conference at the Arm Force auditorium Wednesday.

The Nation

Thailand is not a democracy it is a Constitutional Monarchy.

The new leaders have thrown out the constitution and the constitutional court, so without a constitution or the court to uphold it, it can't be a constitutional monarchy, so it would have to revert back to a plain old monarchy.

30 Days extendable twice and then he should go back to his country of residence for 90 Days (or years).

Personally I think that this was the only course of action left to them after Thaksin refused to step down yesterday. He probably would have won the election again (voted in by the uneducated Farmers) and just carried on filling his pockets

Thaksin is a visa runner now, hahhaa.

Thaksin is a visa runner of thailand now.