citibank ATM is charging 180 B fee

I read on the Internet saying citibank atms don't charge that fee, so yesterday I took a bus to a branch in the central world just to find out that they has joined the 180 Baht fee club. Damn, I should have got a schwab card working before I got here.

I used a Citi ATM yesterday with a UK-issued MasterCard. No fee.

It depends I think on the network to which your card issuer belongs, whether or not you are charged the fee at Citi. Certainly most US-issued cards are charged but only some European and as far as I know, no fee on UK cards used at Citi.

they all charge it ... and in OZ a $5 fee plus an exchange rate fee of .3% ... so that $7.50 + $5 + $25 (20,000 baht) = $37.50

ANZ have a Travel Card (Westpac something similar) which you load in the currency you want (no fee) and maximum 95 baht on withdrawal and when you 'recharge the card', a 1.1% fee; you can do recharge via B-Pay from your own account

interesting. It's a capitol one 360 / allpoints / mastercard network.

Yes, I stress again that it doesn't seem to be a question of to which credit card network you belong, but rather to which bank network your bank belongs.

There is a thread on this site: http://www.dontworryjusttravel.com which discusses this very point.

Edited by asdecas

Not answering the OP as such but by comparison I use my Bangkok Bank Visa debit card in several countries, including Europe. Flat charge is Thb100 per withdrawal and nothing from the local banks. Very good exchange rates too.

Every Thai bank charges B10 per withdrawal from another Thai bank, after the first four fee-free withdrawals in any month. Every bank now - and I doubt Citi is any exception - charges B180 for each withdrawal from a non-THB account. That does include from UK banks. The issuing bank will then typically charge a percentage of the total withdrawal, including the B180, plus a fixed fee. The fx rate is usually best from BBL, or BAY.

Not answering the OP as such but by comparison I use my Bangkok Bank Visa debit card in several countries, including Europe. Flat charge is Thb100 per withdrawal and nothing from the local banks. Very good exchange rates too.

The flat charge will go to the local bank. You will also pay BBL a fee per w/d.

Citibank charges no ATM cash withdrawal fee only for Citibank issued credit/debit cards from any country of issue.

Absolutely false. I used a "Citibank issued credit/debit card from" the US and got hit with a transaction fee and a foreign transaction fee taking cash at a Citibank ATM at the Citibank branch on Sukhumvit Rd. Total was about $15 USD. I immediately closed my account.

It depends I think on the network to which your card issuer belongs, whether or not you are charged the fee at Citi. Certainly most US-issued cards are charged but only some European and as far as I know, no fee on UK cards used at Citi.

I thought all UK issued mastercards charged a cash handling fee.

they all charge it ... and in OZ a $5 fee plus an exchange rate fee of .3% ... so that $7.50 + $5 + $25 (20,000 baht) = $37.50

ANZ have a Travel Card (Westpac something similar) which you load in the currency you want (no fee) and maximum 95 baht on withdrawal and when you 'recharge the card', a 1.1% fee; you can do recharge via B-Pay from your own account

If you have a Citibank Debit Card you get the official exchange rate at that time and no fee. It does show the fee on your statement but at the end of the month the fee is credited back to you account thus making it free as often as you like...perhaps only available in Australia??? you can use at any ATM anywhere in the world free of charge ( I do )...not for credit card, only for a citibank Debit card...you have to put the money in first or transfere it from your credit card.

I thought all UK issued mastercards charged a cash handling fee.

http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/

Nope, flat charge of Thb100 from Bangkok Bank is all. Double checked first few times as I couldn't believe such a good deal.

Every Thai bank charges B10 per withdrawal from another Thai bank, after the first four fee-free withdrawals in any month.

I'm pretty sure that it the fee is 20 Baht and that it's applied from the first withdrawal.

Edited by wump

Nope, flat charge of Thb100 from Bangkok Bank is all. Double checked first few times as I couldn't believe such a good deal.

Correct...the Bangkok Bank debit card has a flat foreign transaction fee of Bt100 for an ATM withdrawal. If using it to purchase something then up to a 2.5% foreign transaction fee applies. They use the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate. Of course the local ATM you use can charge a fee but that fee would be displayed while doing the transaction like how Thai bank ATMs tell you about their Bt180 fee.

Now if you were using a Bangkok Bank "credit card" there would be up to a 2.5% foreign transaction fee...no associated flat fee. If doing a cash advance with the credit card their is a 3% cash advance fee on top of the 2.5% foreign transaction fee.

If you have a Citibank Debit Card you get the official exchange rate at that time and no fee. It does show the fee on your statement but at the end of the month the fee is credited back to you account thus making it free as often as you like...perhaps only available in Australia??? you can use at any ATM anywhere in the world free of charge ( I do )...not for credit card, only for a citibank Debit card...you have to put the money in first or transfere it from your credit card.

Fees vary from card-issuing bank to card-issuing bank. Most charge a foreign transaction of 1 to 3% and a few rub salt in the wounds by also charging a flat fee. A minority do not charge any foreign transaction fee or any kind of fee. And some reimburse local ATM fees. All depends on your card-issuing bank.

I had a Citybank ATM card from both the US and Thailand and on a trip to Germany, at a CitiBank location ( a real stand alone bank) in Frankfurt I was forced to pay a ATM fee because both ATM cards were considered "forgeign" cards, not to mention they always gave the lowest foreign exchange rates. As soon as I returned to the US, - hitty Bank card was the first one in the garbage

Transfer money from US to Thailand, The best deal from the US to Thailand is thru Bangkok Bank. They have a New York City Branch.

From a US bank you can do an ACH, POP money transfer ($1 for $500) to your Bangkok Bank Thailand account number into the NYC, Bangkok Bank branch. This then goes to your Account in Thailand in a couple of days. The fees are very low ( can't remember exactly, call the bank), you get the official Bangkok Bank conversion rate of the day without a cut.

There is also a Bangkok Bank in the UK.

This is the best deal I have found, works smoothly.

Rates as of today, Bangkok Bank, US $1 = 33.84 baht, July 16, 2015, The best rate elsewhere is US $1 =33.21, http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx

The rate may be at the "sight bill" rate, $1 = 33.99 baht.

Edited by gary94578

Citibank charges no ATM cash withdrawal fee only for Citibank issued credit/debit cards from any country of issue.

Absolutely false. I used a "Citibank issued credit/debit card from" the US and got hit with a transaction fee and a foreign transaction fee taking cash at a Citibank ATM at the Citibank branch on Sukhumvit Rd. Total was about $15 USD. I immediately closed my account.

Citibank Thailand absolutely charges its 180 baht Thai ATM withdrawal fee against U.S. based VISA and MC logo debit cards, including most of their own regular Citibank debit cards from the U.S. (They don't charge against some of their higher end accounts like CitiGold.)

However, for reasons I've never seen explained anywhere, people with bank cards from some other foreign countries seem to be able to use Citibank ATMs in Thailand without getting hit by the 180 baht fee. There have been various posts here over the years attesting to that. But I don't think I've ever seen any kind of list of just what countries' cards are NOT getting charged.

For USA issued Citi Bank cards you will be charged a ATM transaction fee .Citi Bank " USA " also charges a foreign transaction fee of 3% even at their branches here in Bangkok unless your a gold member or have an account here in BKK with $3,000 US dollar deposit. Any other bank issued card used in their ATM will be charged 180 baht.

I posted a comment, I think late last year, when the fee was put up to 180 Baht.

There was indeed no charge with CITI, although my base-account is with CITI in Singapore, I don't know how people with US-based CITI accounts are treated.

Further to this, I have been using my Bangkok Bank account exclusively for quite a while now (retirement visa). Next time that I withdraw from CITI (corner of Asoke), I'll let you guys know if I get hit with the charge. (I might even head over there especially now, just to check! (OCD!?)).

Transfer money from US to Thailand, The best deal from the US to Thailand is thru Bangkok Bank. They have a New York City Branch.

From a US bank you can do an ACH, POP money transfer ($1 for $500) to your Bangkok Bank Thailand account number into the NYC, Bangkok Bank branch. This then goes to your Account in Thailand in a couple of days. The fees are very low ( can't remember exactly, call the bank), you get the official Bangkok Bank conversion rate of the day without a cut.

There is also a Bangkok Bank in the UK.

This is the best deal I have found, works smoothly.

Rates as of today, Bangkok Bank, US $1 = 33.84 baht, July 16, 2015, The best rate elsewhere is US $1 =33.21, http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx

The rate may be at the "sight bill" rate, $1 = 33.99 baht.

What do you mean by best rate elsewhere is 33.21? Maybe you were talking the Thai bank buying rate for $1-$2 rates...but I doubt anyone is exchanging such small bills at a Thai bank...maybe $100 bills which were getting around 33.4 on 16 Jul.

All Thai bank TT Buying Rates (used for incoming wire transfers), like the 33.84 you mentioned for Bangkok Bank, are plus or minus a few stang of each other every day, every minute, etc.. as shown in the 17 Jul snapshot below. And the Visa/Mastercard exchange is always real close to the TT Buying Rate give or take a few stang...sometimes a little better, sometimes a little worst.

For example, below is a snapshot as of this minute in time on 17 Jul of various Thai banks TT Buying Rates to include Bangkok Bank. And I just took a look at the 17 Jul Visa rate and it's 34.14...and if happening to have a Visa card issued by a European bank denominated in USD the rate is 34.10....that's beating the Thai banks TT Buying Rate at this point in time. For someone who has a no foreign transaction debit card they would be better off exchange rate wise to use their debit card to get baht "today"...of course various possible fees such as money transfer fees, local ATM fee, whether the card reimburses ATM fees, etc., would need to be taken into the cost analysis. In fact, I going to go use my no foreign transaction fee Visa card today for a counter withdrawal to get that 34.14 rate to top up my Thai bank account.

post-55970-0-31057700-1437101090_thumb.j