Tourism Industry Debates Visa Exemptions

geovalin

Tourism Industry Debates Visa Exemptions
Khmer Times/Igor Kossov

PHNOM PENH (Khmer Times) – Cambodia’s tourism industry is looking for ways to become more competitive, with some businesses suggesting visa exemptions for top visiting countries.

The debate has churned for the past six years, but gained urgency after Vietnam decided to grant visa exemptions to visitors from the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain in June to boost its flagging tourism sector.

Earlier in June, the Indonesian government formalized a visa-free travel regulation for citizens from 45 countries, both to enhance tourism and improve diplomatic ties.

read more: http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/13275/tourism-industry-debates-visa-exemptions/

I am just back from Vietnam. I was in the North of Vietnam, in Hanoi and Halong bay.

I arrived at Noi Bai airport, the new place. It was impressive. Speedy immigration and efficient, polite but businesslike as you would expect. A single stamp to enter about the same size as a Thai or Lao stamp.Written underneath your length of stay of 15 days visa free. No forms in your passport or departure cards or anything.

Moving on, not a lot to say about Hanoi except it's a big vibrant city as capitals are worldwide. I then went to Halong bay, the second time in five years. Wow!!!......what a change...,,!!!

They have put in beautiful new roads, new classy boat moorings and waterfront million dollar apartments, new hotels are being built, minimal noise, very clean environment, new man made beaches and reclaimed land island areas with hotels being built. I was blown away to be honest.

There are millions and millions of dollars being spent there. Construction is well organised with no place blocking the views of the next etc etc. I hadn't even heard before visiting that all this work was underway.

It was still very clean and the building blocks and debris in orderly piles within confines of work areas. All what is not happening in Thailand and Cambodia!!!

The locals were friendly and cheerful and welcoming to foreigners. Both Hanoi and Halong had a plentiful flow of tourists and the hotel I was booked into in Halong was full.

Incidentally, I was riding pillion on the back of a motorbike with a friend who lives there when we were stopped by the Police on a motorbike for no helmets. I had been picked up at my hotel by my mate who hadn't brought them. The Police pointed out the transgression, they were friendly and asked that it did not happen again and were on their way.

If this is the future, then Thailand, Laos and Cambodia need to be on the ball as I for one am going back there and will tell plenty of people about my very positive experience this week.

Give Vietnam a few years and they will be light years in front of this place - nice friendly people, cheap and clean and no dirty police to harass people ... Maybe Thailand was like that many years ago ...whistling.gif

I wouldn't be so sure , you have to stay alert all the time because of petty thievery and endless taxi and mototaxi scams , the sex scene is all a scam (and therefore you are left with the wanking option only which isn't pleasant after a few days) and you can't even visit for investing in their stock market because of that ridiculous criminal record requirement to open a brokerage account.... really I see no reason to go there even for a visa run.