Thaksin Overthrown In Army Coup

george

5th announcement of Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy allows university students to participate in politics

The fifth announcement of the Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy allows university students to participate in political issues.

The Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy realizes that university students are the future force of the country, and they are allowed to have a say in politics, especially during the period of general election under the democratic system and the constitutional monarchy. The general election will be run in a transparent manner without vote-buying activities and any interference from influential figures.

Univesity students, who would like to voice their opinions on the development of the political system under constitutional monarchy, are invited to send their suggestion to the Office of the Army Secretary at Ratchadamnoennok (ราชดำเนินนอก) Road in Phra Nakhon (พระนคร) District of Bangkok, P.O. 10200.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 September 2006

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 6th announcement of the Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy is concerned over the issues of Thailand’s workers and farmers

The Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy has issued its 6th announcement, stating that it is concerned for the Thai labourers and farmers’ difficulties.

The Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy has acknowledged their sufferings, and it has no intention to worsen them. The committee is attempting to solve the problems in Thailand and bring back peace and unity to the kingdom. Therefore, the committee has asked the workers and agriculturists to stay in peace and to cease themselves from causing unconstructive movements, as the ill-intentioned people may use this opportunity to intensify the current political situation.

As for the troubles of the workers and farmers, the Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy has reaffirmed its intention to seek for ways to assist them.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 September 2006

if they want international support then why did they shut out cnn and BBC on ubc>

Soldiers keep close watch on media networks

BANGKOK (The Nation): Around 9 pm last night, before the Administrative Reform Council’s first announcement, soldiers entered Shin Satellite headquarters – the control room for the Thaicom III satellite.

All employees were cleared out.

“I had no idea what happened then. It’s startling,” said a control officer, who anticipated the soldiers could have blocked satellite transmissions.

Hours later, UBC signals broadcast via Thaicom were shut down. At first, there were negotiations to block only news channels – particularly CNN and BBC – but later all channels, including entertainment, were off air. The shut down was still in force at press time.

Thaicom III building on Phaholyothin Rd also houses control facilities for Advanced Info Service, which operates a GSM mobile phone network. It was seized at about 8 pm.

“No soldier went inside the building but we’re terrified, seeing soldiers sur rounding the building like that,” said an AIS employee. “Still, we waited until 11 pm, after learning about the coup and seeing no violence. Then, we headed home.”

AIS services are operating as usual.

There were also reports the Administrative Reform Council (ARC) sought to cut off all mobile phone networks, but operators talked them out of it because of emergency health situations.

Besides former Shin Corp media outlets, now owned by Temasek Holdings of Singapore, the offices of other mass media including Nation Multimedia Group (NMG) have been encircled by troops.

At the office of NMG on Bangna-Trad Rd, 40 soldiers are stationed around the building. They claim to be here to “protect and provide security”. Those wanting to enter or leave the property were required to present identification.

Meanwhile all six free-to-air television channels have suspended their normal programs and are broadcasting songs praising His Majesty the King. There is an occasional broadcast for the ARC.

Channel 11, operated by the Public Relations Department, and iTV returned to normal broadcasts at 8.30 am today.

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

12:53 local time (GMT +7)

Mr. Taweesant : seizure of power of Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy is a good solution for the on-going political turmoil

The President of Nakhon Ratchasima Chamber of Commerce, Mr. Taweesant Lonanurak (ทวิสันต์ โลณานุรักษณ์), stated that the seizure of administrative power by the Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy is a solution to end the ongoing political crisis in Thailand. He added that businessmen can accept the situation.

Mr. Taweesant said the country has been facing with unstable political situation for many months, but entrepreneurs do have a good understanding of the circumstances. He disclosed that a number of businessmen may not be uncomfortable with the situation, but they expect that it will return to normal soon despite the suspension of the Constitution and the Parliament.

Mr. Taweesant admitted that the incident will have a slight impact on the national economy but it would be temporary.

My first visit here was over 25 years ago, and I have lived here most of the time now for the last 20 years; 19 years in the North, now in Phuket. I am proud to say that I have given this country and local communities far more than I have ever taken.

Thailand before Thaksin? Does anyone remember?

Thaksin has destroyed this country. Fascism in the name of progress. What we see now is a ghost, or just a shell, of what Thailand was 10 years ago. Thaksin's form of democracy made democracy into a terrible thing; absolute power corrupts absolutely. There was no real democracy at all, the 'landslide' votes were generated by a fantastically well financed and organized roots level money distribution and propaganda machine.

Someone mentioned that the coup, and the lead up to it, were financed by the alcohol and tobacco industries. Of course they were just an example of those who were opposed to the TRT, BUT the sheer amounts of corruption by Thai Rak Thai, and the amount of uncontestable control mongering, became simply astounding, overwhelming, and impossible to ignore. I'm talking about the sheer amounts of money generated, and accrued, by the fellow school classmates of Thaksin, his cabinet members, the TRT party heads, Thaksin's family,and the Thai/Chinese community in general, it is completely beyond belief, and actually had become illegal to question. The rich get so rich that they can pay the poor to vote for them and carry their flag, it's just that simple.

These guys that pulled the transition: They knew what they were doing, they knew who would support them, and it seems to me today that they realized how to do it in the least harmful way. They did their homework and the timing was perfect. There is huge public support at the moment.

I for one, as a very long term Thailand resident, hope that the Thaksin years will become a distant reminder of how someone can corruptively control not just government, but basically everything, to generate even more wealth and power... if he has enough money to pay for it. It's an old story throughout history of course. This time it's our legacy to repair.

I admire the people that finally stood up to say, 'I've had enough and I can't take it any more!" A totally corrupt democracy is not a democracy at all. If someone has anything to say about that, I will just say that you haven't lived here in Prathet Thai long enough to know what you are talking about. Thailand WILL become a better place. Mark my words. Fear not, the road to true democracy has begun.

'Old and in the way' in Phuket

Fear not, the road to true democracy has begun.

thats what they say after every coup , and didnt thaksin himself make similar utterances.

i'm glad to see him go , although for the first few years of his administration i thought he was good for thailand , but the last years have shown him to be a devious and ruthless manipulator , drunk on his own power and wealth. he really should be brought home and made to account for his actions in front of a court of law.

a coup/revolution by army chiefs and police chiefs , (within days of them proclaiming everlasting support to thaksin ), being driven around in top of the range mercedes benz's does not instill much confidence of democracy in me.

only when corrupt ex prime ministers and army generals are tried in a court of law and punished publicly and according to the law for their misdeeds will anyone be able to claim that thailand is really on the road to true democracy.

but the laws of this country , and the way that they are enforced and interpreted mean that transparency and justice are next to impossible. thats the thai way. always leave a door open.

the fact that general suchinda and many others were allowed to slink away unpunished and un criticised to a comfortable exile before being 'welcomed" back shows that thai cultural beliefs and true democracy cannot yet co exist.

so , ......... meet the new boss , same as the old boss (p.townshend)

As someone said earlier - be careful what you wish for. There would be no easier thing for a new administration to do than look for quick short term policies that will make the people happy. Maybe a "real" crackdown on all these foreigners would be an idea.

Just back from Silom. Pretty normal there, people shopping etc. Some soldiers with yellow ribbons on their guns stationed under the bridge on Rama IV/Bang Na expressway (coming from Northern Ireland that seems normal also - apart from the yellow ribbons!)

Respect blam ! This is a perfect sum'up of the situation. Bravo.

Thaksin has destroyed this country. Fascism in the name of progress. What we see now is a ghost, or just a shell, of what Thailand was 10 years ago. Thaksin's form of democracy made democracy into a terrible thing; absolute power corrupts absolutely. There was no real democracy at all, the 'landslide' votes were generated by a fantastically well financed and organized roots level money distribution and propaganda machine.

Saraburi soldiers head for Bangkok

A military source said 15 trucks of fully-armed soldiers from the Pawai Camp are heading to Bangkok Wednesday afternoon.

The source said the trucks left the camp at 3 pm.

Source: The Nation - 20 September 2006

Tour operators in Khaosan believe the national situation will improve

The Association of Tourism Business Operators in Khaosan Road views that the military coup will benefit Thailand’s political system and tourism industry in the future.

Mr. Prayuth Singhdamrong, the board member of this association, revealed that the Administrative Reform Committee under the Constitutional Monarchy’s occupation of the government will help clarify the political and tourism situations in the country. He has considered this movement as a positive sign. He said foreign tourists who reside in Khaosan Road have not been affected from the coup, and they are not worried about the situation. They have confirmed that they will not return to their countries as they believe the situation will escalate to violence.

Meanwhile, a Canadian tourist said that the pictures taken by foreign press members are too violent, and he has asked to take a photo with Thailand’s military members who are willingly to cooperate with him.

My first visit here was over 25 years ago, and I have lived here most of the time now for the last 20 years; 19 years in the North, now in Phuket. I am proud to say that I have given this country and local communities far more than I have ever taken.

Someone mentioned that the coup, and the lead up to it, were financed by the alcohol and tobacco industries. Of course they were just an example of those who were opposed to the TRT, BUT the sheer amounts of corruption by Thai Rak Thai, and the amount of uncontestable control mongering, became simply astounding, overwhelming, and impossible to ignore. I'm talking about the sheer amounts of money generated, and accrued, by the fellow school classmates of Thaksin, his cabinet members, the TRT party heads, Thaksin's family,and the Thai/Chinese community in general, it is completely beyond belief, and actually had become illegal to question. The rich get so rich that they can pay the poor to vote for them and carry their flag, it's just that simple.

These guys that pulled the transition: They knew what they were doing, they knew who would support them, and it seems to me today that they realized how to do it in the least harmful way. They did their homework and the timing was perfect. There is huge public support at the moment.

I for one, as a very long term Thailand resident, hope that the Thaksin years will become a distant reminder of how someone can corruptively control not just government, but basically everything, to generate even more wealth and power... if he has enough money to pay for it. It's an old story throughout history of course. This time it's our legacy to repair.

I admire the people that finally stood up to say, 'I've had enough and I can't take it any more!" A totally corrupt democracy is not a democracy at all. If someone has anything to say about that, I will just say that you haven't lived here in Prathet Thai long enough to know what you are talking about. Thailand WILL become a better place. Mark my words. Fear not, the road to true democracy has begun.

blam-

You speak well. I remember Thailand before Thaksin aka I-pay-no-Taxsin.

This snake has put money in one pocket of the poor and taken from the other pocket.

He has divided the country and I wonder what other scams he had up his sleave ?

He should also be brought to book and pay back some of the money he has stolen from the nation.

How can a policeman from Chiang Mai become a Billionaire ?

How can a crooner on a cruise ship do the same and become Prime Minister of Italy ?

Bloody Good Riddance !

Excellent Thoughts and Understanding My Friend,

The reasons given by General Sonthi for the coup http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5362332.stm are quite clear and logical.

I hope for a quick resolution of this situation and a swift return to the path of democracy.

Thai Military and Police Commanders - Please note: THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING

Coup leader just broadcast saying new pm within 2 weeks, and they will not chase T's assets.

sounds like he will be allowed to take up residence abroad if he wishes and not be held to account for any of the misdeeds and financial juggling he has been accused of.

Edited by taxexile

From the Nation: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/20...es_30014111.php

Coup leaders confronted Prin Suwannathat - commander of the First Infantry Division and a classmate of Thaksin during their military academy years.

They asked him: "We have a consensus for a coup. What's your stance?"

Prin reportedly replied: "It's up to all of you."

This is really funny:

General1: Hey, we are doing a coup, what do you think?

General2: Up to you...

if they want international support then why did they shut out cnn and BBC on ubc>

Soldiers keep close watch on media networks

BANGKOK (The Nation): Around 9 pm last night, before the Administrative Reform Council’s first announcement, soldiers entered Shin Satellite headquarters – the control room for the Thaicom III satellite.

All employees were cleared out.

“I had no idea what happened then. It’s startling,” said a control officer, who anticipated the soldiers could have blocked satellite transmissions.

Hours later, UBC signals broadcast via Thaicom were shut down. At first, there were negotiations to block only news channels – particularly CNN and BBC – but later all channels, including entertainment, were off air. The shut down was still in force at press time.

Thaicom III building on Phaholyothin Rd also houses control facilities for Advanced Info Service, which operates a GSM mobile phone network. It was seized at about 8 pm.

“No soldier went inside the building but we’re terrified, seeing soldiers sur rounding the building like that,” said an AIS employee. “Still, we waited until 11 pm, after learning about the coup and seeing no violence. Then, we headed home.”

AIS services are operating as usual.

There were also reports the Administrative Reform Council (ARC) sought to cut off all mobile phone networks, but operators talked them out of it because of emergency health situations.

Besides former Shin Corp media outlets, now owned by Temasek Holdings of Singapore, the offices of other mass media including Nation Multimedia Group (NMG) have been encircled by troops.

At the office of NMG on Bangna-Trad Rd, 40 soldiers are stationed around the building. They claim to be here to “protect and provide security”. Those wanting to enter or leave the property were required to present identification.

Meanwhile all six free-to-air television channels have suspended their normal programs and are broadcasting songs praising His Majesty the King. There is an occasional broadcast for the ARC.

Channel 11, operated by the Public Relations Department, and iTV returned to normal broadcasts at 8.30 am today.

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

12:53 local time (GMT +7)

I don't know if this is accurate. I was up until about 1:00AM monitoring the internet and UBC. The news channels were lost, but we never lost any of the other programing.

I hate Taksin, but I am always very suspicious of the motives of coup leaders. They usually simply see a good opportunity to increase their own power. In this case, we have been given a good benchmark against which to judge their sincerity.

The coup leaders have promised to handover power to a civilian interim administration within two weeks. If they really do as they promise, I shall be ready to accept that they acted for the good of the country.

A big question: who can they find with the required stature to take control at such a critical juncture? If he was 25 years younger, the obvious candidate would be Prem Tinsulanonda (the prime minister who steered Thailand through the troubles of the 1980s and who everyone agrees was a clean politician). Unfortunately, he was already seen as too old when Thailand needed such a figure 15 years ago. I would be happy to see Anand Panyarachun back in power. He would reassure the investment community and proved able actually to simplify business regulations. Further, he seems to have intelligent ideas about how to start dealing with the problems in the South.

What I fear is some kind of weak figurehead with the generals retaining real power.

The coup leaders have promised to handover power to a civilian interim administration within two weeks. If they really do as they promise, I shall be ready to accept that they acted for the good of the country.

Take a look at history, it has happened before.

I have some questions. Links or a new thread would be nice.

1) Where is a complete list of the new rule for Thailand? (New laws)

2) Is there any information if this coup changes the new 90/180 tourist visa law?

3) How does this change other visa requirements non b and so on?

Edited by John K