Thaksin Overthrown In Army Coup

george

Does my Thailand Elite card still work :D:D:D

:o:D

Sorry... still making me laugh...

:D

Finally he comes to end, but after 30 years in Thailand, I will bet my life that he will be replaced by another rat. All politicians in Thailand are greedy and corrupted in the land of fake smiles. Well, that’s life in a country build up with drugs and prostitution by corrupted politicians.

so you like living LOS then?

Edited by kayo

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In '91...

That's a massive telescoping of events.

Oh, my post was edited, some lead content removed. That's OK.

I was making a positive point about the King, but you are absolutely right Richard W. I'm old, was in Chiang Mai at the time, and yes everything seems compressed from those days.

Edited by blam

Thailand's army commander stages coup d'etat: PM Thaksin dismissed

BANGKOK: -- Identifying itself as Thailand's 'Democratic Reform Council,' a group of the armed forces commander and the national police commander led by Army Commander-in-Chief Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, carried out a bloodless coup d'etat on Tuesday night and dismissed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra while he was in New York.

Despite the demonstrated public distaste for military coups and military rule, one year of political impasse and deteriorating confidence in the prime minister developed into a situation where the public could view the military as a possible protector of the country's hard-won democratic reforms..

Carried out as Mr. Thaksin was in New York to address the United Nations General Assembly, the lead-up to the coup saw the now former premier attempt to dismiss Gen. Sonthi on Tuesday, unsuccessfully.

Military armoured units surrounded Government House, and occupied the office of the prime minister, other key government offices, and radio and television stations.

Describing its action, the Democratic Reform Council said in its first announcement, shortly after 9pm in Bangkok, that "for the sake of peace and order" in the kingdom, the council imposed martial law on a nationwide basis, and repealed the state of emergency that Mr. Thaksin had declared earlier in the day.

In a second announcement, the council halted all mobilisation and military movements, and ordered troops to their bases.

In its third announcement, the council repealed the 1997 Constitution, and dissolved the House of Representatives, the Senate and the Constitution Court.

However, the council affirmed the role of the privy council, the role of the courts of justice—except the Constitution Court, stating that the courts would retain full power to adjudicate cases according to the law, and the announcements of the council itself.

As the overnight change of government took effect, concern continued that military units loyal to Mr. Thaksin might stage counter actions, but this did not seem to be the case before dawn on Wednesday.

Thaksin, who had been scheduled to address the General Assembly, later canceled his speech.

-- TNA / M.C.O.T. 2006-09-20

Seems like you have been up all night George.

Thanks for keeping us all up to date.

I for one appreciate it

TP.

I make no comment as I refuse to get involved in Politics here, the way I see it "It is what it is" and there is nothing us foreigners can do about any of it

Just saw this on the bbc site at THIS SOURCE

This is hardly surprising, as the country has long been divided into the mainly pro-Thaksin rural population and the anti-Thaksin urban elite.

One lone Thaksin supporter I spoke to, taxi driver Mr Samat, said: "I like Thaksin's policies because he has done many good things for this country that other prime ministers didn't do.

"He was especially good for the poorer people of Thailand."

With all the accusations and anger against Mr Thaksin in Bangkok, the coup is likely to be welcomed by the majority of the city.

But the news is likely to be taken entirely differently in the rural hinterland - and only time will tell whether Mr Thaksin is really gone from Thailand's political scene for good.

:o

Finally he comes to end, but after 30 years in Thailand, I will bet my life that he will be replaced by another rat. All politicians in Thailand are greedy and corrupted in the land of fake smiles. Well, that’s life in a country build up with drugs and prostitution by corrupted politicians.

so you like living LOS then?

Yes, if I just don't have to meet all the stupid Americans.

I am in Bangkok. International news still cut off, but phones seem to be working fine. I just called the US to let everyone there know my family here is fine. Also as you can see from this posting no problem with the internet for now.

As a pretty big fan of Democracy can not really defend what has taken place – but I think attempting to measure the goings on in Thailand based upon what is acceptable in a truly developed democracy is also a bit short sighted. Coups and democracy seem to go pretty much hand in hand her in Thailand and this will likely continue to be the case until Thailand is able to develop some real checks and balances.

Not so sure that it would be the best move for Taksin to return to Thailand at this time. He might not like the people that meet him upon his arrival (too bad he is not a Thai elite member).

Just saw this on the bbc site at THIS SOURCE

This is hardly surprising, as the country has long been divided into the mainly pro-Thaksin rural population and the anti-Thaksin urban elite.

One lone Thaksin supporter I spoke to, taxi driver Mr Samat, said: "I like Thaksin's policies because he has done many good things for this country that other prime ministers didn't do.

"He was especially good for the poorer people of Thailand."

With all the accusations and anger against Mr Thaksin in Bangkok, the coup is likely to be welcomed by the majority of the city.

But the news is likely to be taken entirely differently in the rural hinterland - and only time will tell whether Mr Thaksin is really gone from Thailand's political scene for good.

Poor people will vote for anyone who pays them enough money for their votes.

He is only popular in certain rural regions ie North and NE, not across the board. A common misconception propagated by both Taksin and the foreign press

Thailand's army commander stages coup d'etat: PM Thaksin dismissed

BANGKOK: -- Identifying itself as Thailand's 'Democratic Reform Council,' a group of the armed forces commander and the national police commander led by Army Commander-in-Chief Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, carried out a bloodless coup d'etat on Tuesday night and dismissed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra while he was in New York.

Despite the demonstrated public distaste for military coups and military rule, one year of political impasse and deteriorating confidence in the prime minister developed into a situation where the public could view the military as a possible protector of the country's hard-won democratic reforms..

Carried out as Mr. Thaksin was in New York to address the United Nations General Assembly, the lead-up to the coup saw the now former premier attempt to dismiss Gen. Sonthi on Tuesday, unsuccessfully.

Military armoured units surrounded Government House, and occupied the office of the prime minister, other key government offices, and radio and television stations.

Describing its action, the Democratic Reform Council said in its first announcement, shortly after 9pm in Bangkok, that "for the sake of peace and order" in the kingdom, the council imposed martial law on a nationwide basis, and repealed the state of emergency that Mr. Thaksin had declared earlier in the day.

In a second announcement, the council halted all mobilisation and military movements, and ordered troops to their bases.

In its third announcement, the council repealed the 1997 Constitution, and dissolved the House of Representatives, the Senate and the Constitution Court.

However, the council affirmed the role of the privy council, the role of the courts of justice—except the Constitution Court, stating that the courts would retain full power to adjudicate cases according to the law, and the announcements of the council itself.

As the overnight change of government took effect, concern continued that military units loyal to Mr. Thaksin might stage counter actions, but this did not seem to be the case before dawn on Wednesday.

Thaksin, who had been scheduled to address the General Assembly, later canceled his speech.

-- TNA / M.C.O.T. 2006-09-20

What is still strangely missing is some kind of statement from HRM the King himself regarding this situation. Surely he must be in great distress over the potential for Thais to face off against other Thais in this situation. News sources claimed that leaders had an audience with HRM, but why hasn't he been allowed to reassure and calm the Thai public...could it be that he is also under gag order too since the military now controls all the media? And if the coup leaders are so legitimate, why censor and block out all the TV and Radio stations?...I would think that if they had popular and royal support for this that they would use it to keep the people on their side. Something is fishy here...it smells of a bunch of rats to me.

PM's men arrested, wife in Singapore

Deputy PM Chidchai and Supreme Commander Ruengroj detained

BANGKOK: -- Many politicians and those with links to caretaker prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra were spread far and wide last night as the news of the coup broke in Bangkok.

First lady Pojaman reportedly flew to Singapore on Monday and it is not known whether Panthongtae, the family's only son, followed his mother last night.

The whereabouts of the PM's daughters Paethongtae and Pinthongta were not known.

Thaksin is in New York at a hotel, where he has reportedly been watching the United Nations General Assembly and keeping abreast of developments here.

Many Cabinet members and other people deemed hostile by the "Council of Administrative Reform" have been detained. Deputy Prime Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya and Supreme Commander Ruengroj Mahasaranont and pro-Thaksin television host Dusit Siriwan are among them.

Head of the Mass Communications Organisation of Thailand Mingkwan Saengsuwan was apprehended by anti-Thaksin troops at Channel 9 compound after it aired a statement of Thaksin, from New York, announcing a state of emergency and relieving Armycommander Sonthi Boonyaratglin from his post.

Deputy Thai Rak Thai leader and caretaker Agriculture Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan reportedly flew to Paris with her family.

Defence Minister General Thamarak Isarangura na Ayutthaya reportedly escaped arrest narrowly and has fled upcountry.

PM's secretary-general Prommin Lertsuridej reportedly made an unplanned landing in the Phillippines during a trip abroad while Bank of Thailand governor MR Pridiyathorn Devekula was in Singapore.

Deputy Thai Rak Thai Party leader Somsak Thepsuthin said he was shocked by last night's coup and never thought it could really happen. A number of TRT MPs may meet today at the party headquarters.

--The Nation 2006-09-20

His Majesty is currently meeting with the "administrative reform group under democratic rule under his Majesty the King`s Rule" Group of military leaders.

Until this meeting, he probably didn`t know all that much himself.

I`m sure statements shall follow within little time.

Edited by kayo

It is 6 am and HM the King is a 78 year old man probably kept up half the night dealing with this. I have great faith in his ability to deal with any situation that affects Thai people.

Please lets not discuss HM the King or the royal family at this time as it is inappropriate

Wait until a more appropriate hour and I am sure everything will become clearer.

One could hope they adopted a constitution more like the american, but that will ofcourse never happend...

...but one can dream.

That will be the constitution that got George W elected the first time wouldn't it?

As for Thailand, any country that seems to bear a "casual" military coup which displaces an elected government, no matter how flawed, is a long way from any normal concept of freedom or democracy. What makes anyone think that a general will be better for the people than Taxin? This will set Thailand's hopes to be seen as a modern developed country back at least 10 years. At the moment it's more like a banana republic!

According to the Australian

THAI Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra plans to leave the United States today after the military coup against him, said a senior Thai official, adding that his destination was not known.

The Thai military acted against Thaksin while he was at the UN General Assembly in New York and the official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said it was "not sure" whether Mr Thaksin would go back to Bangkok.

The leader still had an official plane at his disposal, said the official.

Mr Thaksin cancelled plans to address the opening of the UN General Assembly today. He was holed up at a New York hotel for much of the day as the coup went ahead in Bangkok.

Sounds like the US doesn't want another Marcos holed up in Hawaii

One could hope they adopted a constitution more like the american, but that will ofcourse never happend...

...but one can dream.

That will be the constitution that got George W elected the first time wouldn't it?

As for Thailand, any country that seems to bear a "casual" military coup which displaces an elected government, no matter how flawed, is a long way from any normal concept of freedom or democracy. What makes anyone think that a general will be better for the people than Taxin? This will set Thailand's hopes to be seen as a modern developed country back at least 10 years. At the moment it's more like a banana republic!

Excuse me?! Why don`t you read the statements proper. Plus, whatever is being spewed right at this moment on thai tv.

The Generals are not in charge, technically. They are doing everything under the name of his majesty.

But everything that is coming out of the generals` mouths is implicitly stating a protection to the king and his kingdom, ie: his people. Go back to your own banana republic.

***edited by sbk****

Again, I must reiterate that it is inappropriate to discuss HM the King or his intentions at this point. Please lets wait for something direct.

Discussion of the royal family is inappropriate at this time.

Go Vikings!

Oh no.. sorry! I thought this was a sports thread...

:o:D

edit: I`m desperatly looking for a little english flag I can click there, on yer link euh.. Viking...

Quote: Kungen Ana Bakom Kupp i Thailand... .

Allai Na?

You know, it`s been many years since last I visited Swedens hills and valleys... and she spoke good english.

Edited by kayo

...but one can dream.

Excuse me?! Why don`t you read the statements proper. Plus, whatever is being spewed right at this moment on thai tv.

The Generals are not in charge, technically. They are doing everything under the name of his majesty.

But everything that is coming out of the generals` mouths is implicitly stating a protection to the king and his kingdom, ie: his people. Go back to your own banana republic.

***edited by sbk****

Ahh... sorry, so this is all normal then. I guess the tanks were just for reassurance. I see it all now; how silly of me. Of course, many would like to have got all the info from the TV but they all seemed to develop some kind of fault at the crucial moment. Believe me when I say, that from now on I will believe everything that comes out of the Generals' mouths. After all TIT! :D

Maybe you have been in South America too long Kayo :o

...but one can dream.

I think you're overreacting. Thai democracy is real but not quite at the same level as the West. It's not a the higher stage of say, Japan. But look at S Korea. They have had problems such as this as recently as the late 80s.

This coup is a good thing for Thailand. The problem with Thai democracy is that the civil society is too weak. That is one reason why Thaksin could get away with so much without any checks and balances. The press couldn't bring enough pressure upon him -- no one could. That's the result of a single party being able to form a govt. That had never happened in the history of Thai politics. It had always been coalitions before that. Not only a single party, but a party led by the richest man in the country. That was a recipe for abuse of power and that is exactly what happened.

I think this coup was a case of one step back in order to move two steps forward down the line. They had to get rid of him because too many traditional elites were being kept out of their rightful places at the trough. You can't expect that kind of situation to continue indefinitely. Their was a political stalemate all year with no way out as long as Thaksin remained on the scene. He had to go.

The people in power know they have to start all over again and try to get it right. So writing a new constitution will be the first step.

Don't fear this coup - cheer for it. There may be some uncertainty down the road but it will have been necessary.

...but one can dream.

***edited by sbk****

Kayo not to be flippant, but first thing I would do if I was throwing a coup would cut off all media and make sure the word is out that this action is with full support of the monarch - whether it was true or not - lends needed legitimacy. :o

...but one can dream.

Let's face it, Thailand is not a stable democracy, and never has been. When I first got here a Thai girl told me Thailand was a "democrazy" and that's a more accurate description.

It takes time to build a strong democracy. Thaksin was the most stable democratically elected leader _ever_ in Thailand, remember that. Yet, the man himself had absolutely no respect for democratic principles or the rule of the law - he was a power guy, gunning down "drug suspects" for political ends. He usurped democracy by simply buying out and or threatening political enemies until there were none left. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Democracy isn't that easy... also, I don't know what would happen in another country - say the president of the U.S.A. goes nuts - there are mechanisms in place that will stop him. He will be impeached etc. If Thailand had a strong judiciary system, that would have happened to Thaksin a long time ago.

merlin: xactly.

Edited by nikster