Thaksin Overthrown In Army Coup

george

I have some questions. Links or a new thread would be nice.

1) Where is a complete list of the new rule for Thailand? (New laws)

Give them time.

2) Is there any information if this coup changes the new 90/180 tourist visa law?

3) How does this change other visa requirements non b and so on?

I seriously doubt that such inconsequential matters are on the agenda. :o

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look at history, it has happened before.

Suchinda didn't relinquish power and lots of people died. Thaksin, btw, got his satellite concession from one of the generals who was with Suchinda, who ousted Chatichai for curruption.

If they hand the government to a hand picked civilian, under what law the new government would operate? They threw the Consitution out already.

Thaksin's gone, good, but at what cost???

Saraburi soldiers head for Bangkok

A military source said 15 trucks of fully-armed soldiers from the Pawai Camp are heading to Bangkok Wednesday afternoon.

The source said the trucks left the camp at 3 pm.

Source: The Nation - 20 September 2006

For those of us that live in Bangkok, tonight would be a good night to stay home and let things cool off.

I see a lot of knee-jerk reactions against the coup d 'etat in the international press and offical reactions from western "democratic" Govts who cite the damage to Thai "democracy".

From my point of view Taksin had already undermined the democratic institutions and was in the process of attempting of gaining control of the military institution. This is why the military was compelled to act before it was too late.

I am optomistic about the future of Thai democracy.

What these western observers have to understand is that the Thai Military is a check and balance in the Thai political situation. The influence of the royal family is also a check and balance. The Thai political system is different from western systems and this is what these people must try to comprehend.

There are of course risks involved in the transition from military to civilian and then to (hopefully) a democratic political system ... maybe even a stronger democratic system and more mature than previously.

Time will tell.

Opposition Senator Mechai Viravaidya welcomed Mr Thaksin's departure, despite doubts about the methods used.

"I'm delighted he's gone," he said. "It would have been great if he had resigned voluntarily, but apparently he was too stubborn. But at least it's better than an assassination."

The BBC

:o Simple and to the point. Applause...!!!

So what does everyone think here, will Taksin come back to Thailand anytime soon?

That has got to be one scary experience flying into a country where the entire military is after you.

Specially when you can"t get a taxi and you've lost your golf clubs at the new airport :D

I imagine the traffic will be fairly light though, if any taxi driver would even take him.

I just received this from my Cambodian contacts:

NEWS FROM CAMBODIA N° 0640-E

Khmemara Jati

Montreal, Quebec

September 20, 2006

We diffuse below an article of the coup in Thailand. This coup d'État is approved by the King and 84 % by the Thais. The population offers flowers to the soldiers. This coup d'État is intended to put an end a corrupt regime which did not manage to solve properly the Moslem rebellion in the Southern of Thailand. The leader of the army who has just made this coup d'État, Sondhi Boonyaratkalin is a Moslem. He is against the hard way using by the discharged Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to overcome the Moslem rebellion. Thaksin risks now to be prosecuted for corruption.

The baht is amazingly strong even after all the events of the last day. My sense is that the Thai baht is over valued. For it to grow in value 10% against the dollar this year alone to me means that speculative money is keeping it there. I think its better for the currency to reflect the real value to encourage future growth. Even before the overthrow the numbers for growth in many key areas had been downgraded. The change in visa rules can only make the problem worse. The danger of allowing the currency to be improperly valued and the system to be gamed is when the currency speculators pull the money out it can cause a wild swing much like we’ve seen in the gold and silver markets which can lead to long term problems. This seems likely to

continue in the short term as Thailand is at least a year away from elections. I hope that the Land of Smiles will get

someone who really cares instead of yet another CareTAKER…….

One could hope they adopted a constitution more like the american, but that will ofcourse never happend...

...but one can dream.

That will be the constitution that got George W elected the first time wouldn't it?

As for Thailand, any country that seems to bear a "casual" military coup which displaces an elected government, no matter how flawed, is a long way from any normal concept of freedom or democracy. What makes anyone think that a general will be better for the people than Taxin? This will set Thailand's hopes to be seen as a modern developed country back at least 10 years. At the moment it's more like a banana republic!

Let's face it, Thailand is not a stable democracy, and never has been. When I first got here a Thai girl told me Thailand was a "democrazy" and that's a more accurate description.

It takes time to build a strong democracy. Thaksin was the most stable democratically elected leader _ever_ in Thailand, remember that. Yet, the man himself had absolutely no respect for democratic principles or the rule of the law - he was a power guy, gunning down "drug suspects" for political ends. He usurped democracy by simply buying out and or threatening political enemies until there were none left. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Democracy isn't that easy... also, I don't know what would happen in another country - say the president of the U.S.A. goes nuts - there are mechanisms in place that will stop him. He will be impeached etc. If Thailand had a strong judiciary system, that would have happened to Thaksin a long time ago.

merlin: xactly.

If Thailand had a strong judiciary system, Thaksin could never have become PM in the first place!

Well the generals have taken a day off from the golf, good for them. If this is a military junta, I prefer it to western democracy.

I'm amazed at all the comparisons between Thailand's form of "democracy" and the US's form of "democracy" and the use of the term "democracy" in general

Thailand is a constitutional monarchy. The US is a constitutional republic. They are nothing alike in that respect. They are alike only in that they are both very different than pure democracies.

That said, I hope the best of health and strength for The King and wish for his wisdom and guidance to lead all Thai people in the best direction for their future.

The Nation 20/9 2006

Disappointed US condemns Thai coup

WASHINGTON - The United States on Wednesday condemned the coup in Thailand which ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and called for a return to civilian rule "as quickly as possible."

In its first detailed reaction to Tuesday's dramatic uprising, Washington said there was no justification for a coup, but stopped short of calling for the restoration of Thaksin or his scandal-tainted government.

"There's no justification for a military coup in Thailand or in any place else," said State Department deputy spokesman Tom Casey.

"We certainly are extremely disappointed by this action. It's a step backward for democracy in Thailand.

Poppycock! There is no way the organizers of this "coup" would have proceded and succeded without the tacit approval of influential people nor without the tacit approval of some high ranking "employees" of the US Embassy.

***edited by sbk****

Poppycock! There is no way the organizers of this "coup" would have proceded and succeded without the tacit approval of influential people nor without the tacit approval of some high ranking "employees" of the US Embassy.

So, in effect, you are suggesting that the Kingdom of Thailand is just another State of the Union ?

Sometimes, I feel, that people do overestimate the powers of the US Government in this country.

Dont limit this to just the US, Most of europe, Australia and New Zealand have all voiced opinions against the coup.

Poeple seem to forget that more than half the population voted for Thuksin in the last 2 elections.

Let us NOT forget that the people of Thailand have the final say... regardless of social status.

I think it's a good thing Thuksin is gone, but the means used were less than perfect.

So, in effect, you are suggesting that the Kingdom of Thailand is just another State of the Union ?

Sometimes, I feel, that people do overestimate the powers of the US Government in this country.

but that you can think "tacit approval of some high ranking "employees" of the US Embassy."...

I seriously doubt the thai`s gave two poppycocks for their opinion.

**edited by sbk***

yeah. Johpa, I`d agree

but that you can think "tacit approval of some high ranking "employees" of the US Embassy."...

I seriously doubt the thai`s gave two poppycocks for their opinion.

Here, here. I doubt seriously that W. or any other American official was consulted. This is a Thai affair and should be respected as such.

Dont limit this to just the US, Most of europe, Australia and New Zealand have all voiced opinions against the coup.

Poeple seem to forget that more than half the population voted for Thuksin in the last 2 elections.

Let us NOT forget that the people of Thailand have the final say... regardless of social status.

I think it's a good thing Thuksin is gone, but the means used were less than perfect.

Would sooner live under toksins gov,t (god forbid) than the wests idea of democracy.

Just hope the next lot (Gov't) see the writing on the wall.

Any one know if land boarders are open & Penang consulate ?

I just received this from my Cambodian contacts:

NEWS FROM CAMBODIA N° 0640-E

Khmemara Jati

Montreal, Quebec

September 20, 2006

We diffuse below an article of the coup in Thailand. This coup d'État is approved by the King and 84 % by the Thais. The population offers flowers to the soldiers. This coup d'État is intended to put an end a corrupt regime which did not manage to solve properly the Moslem rebellion in the Southern of Thailand. The leader of the army who has just made this coup d'État, Sondhi Boonyaratkalin is a Moslem. He is against the hard way using by the discharged Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to overcome the Moslem rebellion. Thaksin risks now to be prosecuted for corruption.

how did they come up with the number 84 percent? that's some speedy polling... :o

The Nation 20/9 2006

Disappointed US condemns Thai coup

WASHINGTON - The United States on Wednesday condemned the coup in Thailand which ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and called for a return to civilian rule "as quickly as possible."

In its first detailed reaction to Tuesday's dramatic uprising, Washington said there was no justification for a coup, but stopped short of calling for the restoration of Thaksin or his scandal-tainted government.

"There's no justification for a military coup in Thailand or in any place else," said State Department deputy spokesman Tom Casey.

"We certainly are extremely disappointed by this action. It's a step backward for democracy in Thailand.

"We want to see a resolution of this situation in accordance with the rule of law and in accordance with democratic procedures -- that certainly means the restoration of civilian rule in Thailand as quickly as possible."

Asked why Washington was not calling for the return of Thaksin, Casey said: "I think the facts on the ground are that a coup has happened; certainly we wish that had not occurred in the first place."

"The important thing now is that we move forward to make sure that those who have engaged in this activity live up to their public commitments, and again those commitments are to restore democracy as quickly as possible."

Agence France-Presse

I was kind of wondering whether this coupe really was a good thing for Thailand or not and then I read this, and Bolton’s comments (US UN envoi), and then realised that it is the best event in Thai history. Thailand is finally breaking free from US influence!

Now I just wish for the old red flag with the white elephant to be hoisted again.

Viking

Well the way many Thais look it is you're either with Thaksin, or against him...

how did they come up with the number 84 percent? that's some speedy polling... :o

From http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5003402,00.html

Over 80pc of Thais 'back coup'

From correspondents in Bangkok

September 20, 2006 11:00pm

MORE than 80 per cent of Thais agree with the military coup that ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, pollsters said.

Some 84 per cent of 2019 respondents questioned in a Dusit poll, by the Rajabhat Suan Dusit college, said they agreed with the coup because it would improve the tense political situation in the kingdom.

The survey was conducted with 875 Bangkok residents and 1144 people from other provinces.

It was not known which provinces were included in the survey, in particular if people living in Mr Thaksin's northern stronghold of Chiang Mai were questioned.

Some 75 per cent said the coup would bring big changes and make the political system run more efficiently while only 4.7 per cent believed it would worsen the system and affect economic confidence, the Dusit poll said.

Thai armed forces staged a coup against Mr Thaksin, who was in New York, and imposed martial law. Coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin later said the army would hand power to an interim premier within two weeks.

Education Ministry calls for a meeting with executive members following the cancellation of Constitution

The Ministry of Education called a meeting with its executive members, following the cancellation of the Constitution by the Administrative Reform Council under the Constitutional Monarchy. The Education Ministry also turned down the news that the council had asked the ministry to revise the appointment of its executives.

The Permanent Secretary to the Education Ministry, Khunying Kasama Worawan na Ayutthaya (กษมา วรวรรณ ณ อยุธยา), disclosed that the ministerial core members discussed over the cancellation of the Constitution during the meeting. She said it has not affected the ministerial structure, and the ministry would continue with its previous plans.

Referring to the two C-11 senior officials of the ministry who will be retired soon, Khunying Kasama said the matter will be discussed with the Administrative Reform Council and the new Cabinet members. She insisted that the leader of Administrative Reform Council has not requested the ministry to revise the appointment of its executive members as the news reported earlier.

The Permanent Secretary said the ministry and related units will urgently work on this year’s budget. She added that the Education Ministry will adjust its regulations concerning educational reform and the improvement of educational system as the Administrative Reform Council is concerned about these issues.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 21 September 2006

The western democracies have to officially say they are against a coup, George or Tony can hardly say on record,' yes we support the overthrow of democratically elected leaders by the use of the gun.'

But what was more telling, as in Bush's reply to Thaksin's letter of a few weeks ago, was the absence of any call for a reinstatement of Thaksin.

Apparently he's not respected in Whitehall either.

And we sit here in the USA and have to tolerate 2 more years of idiocy. Who is smarter?

Hear hear.. Well said Mr. Hollywood! :o

The western democracies have to officially say they are against a coup, George or Tony can hardly say on record,' yes we support the overthrow of democratically elected leaders by the use of the gun.'

But what was more telling, as in Bush's reply to Thaksin's letter of a few weeks ago, was the absence of any call for a reinstatement of Thaksin.

Apparently he's not respected in Whitehall either.

They can`t support it, even if they want to. Imagine what would happen in their countries if suddenly it was ACCEPTABLE to overthrow big headed megalomaniacs

From http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5003402,00.html

Over 80pc of Thais 'back coup'

From correspondents in Bangkok

September 20, 2006 11:00pm

MORE than 80 per cent of Thais agree with the military coup that ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, pollsters said.

Some 84 per cent of 2019 respondents questioned in a Dusit poll, by the Rajabhat Suan Dusit college, said they agreed with the coup because it would improve the tense political situation in the kingdom.

The survey was conducted with 875 Bangkok residents and 1144 people from other provinces.

It was not known which provinces were included in the survey, in particular if people living in Mr Thaksin's northern stronghold of Chiang Mai were questioned.

Some 75 per cent said the coup would bring big changes and make the political system run more efficiently while only 4.7 per cent believed it would worsen the system and affect economic confidence, the Dusit poll said.

Thai armed forces staged a coup against Mr Thaksin, who was in New York, and imposed martial law. Coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin later said the army would hand power to an interim premier within two weeks.

(edited by IJWT- sorry!)

Number6 (and other members), we are a bit busy now to give everyone specific explanations for individual actions. Please read the posted alert at the top of the news subforum- most deletions in political topics can be explained by this alert at the moment. Don't take it personally; this is a period of adjustment for everyone and we want to keep the forum going with as little disruption as possible, but it will take some understanding of current conditions here and some self-restraint. If we have made a mistake, please be tolerant. If your post is as innocuous as you say, you can probably repost and you'll be fine.

Oh, here's a link to that announcement:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84529

So could be a bit of colusion here and cynics might even suggest...."evens forbid.... that Old Georgie Boy and the Tony Lad may have had something to do.................... :o

Don't be silly. George Bush has decried the process if not the reasons for the removal. i believe

Blair is with him as usual on this subject