Please explain the difference.

An non--oa visa can only be issued in a persons home country or country of residence, It allows a one year entry. It is only issued as a multiple entry. It is only issued to those 50 or over.

A non-o visa allows a 90 day entry and can be issued as single or multiple entry. It can be issued for several reasons. The most common reasons is marriage to a Thai, to visit a family member, to work as a volunteer.and for being 50 or over.

A Non O of whatever type is limited to a maximum of 90 days per entry.

A Non O-A allows continuous stay of 1 year per entry.

Both can be issued as a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa, although it seems that the Non O-A is usually issued as a multi entry.

Non O-A is issued for persons up from 50 years and can only be issued in the country of residence and only at Thai consulates (not at honorary consulates).

It requires extra documents:

* police clearance certificate/Criminal Records Bureau check (CBR) or whatever it is called in your country.

* health certificate (just beeing free from some "exotic" diseases)

* proof of financials equivalent in your currency of what is req. for extension in Thailand (800k Baht assets or 65k/monthly)

(each consulate publishes the up-to-date numbers, e.g. 20000 Euro "liquid" assets)

When you use a mutli entry Non O-A for another entry (border run) shortly before the visa expires, you can stay two years without applying for extension of stay at the immgration, no need for Thai bank account etc.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Just checked again:

Current req. for Non O-A in Germany (Berlin): 20000 Euro assets or 1500 Euro monthly income/pension.

They also require a CV (curriculum vitae) in English language. Quite a joke, I just put some basics (like for a job application).

The Non O-A is always issued as a muliple entry and costs 140 Euro.

A Non O of whatever type

type: better wording would be "reason"/"purpose".

There is a multitude of purposes besides the popular "retirement".

Non O-A is always a "retirement" purpose!

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thats good news for me. I have just recieved my O-A from the Thai Consul Canberra. Did;nt really understand the differnce and was asking for an O visa. Thanks to ubonjoe i am now "all systems go"