Fatal accident on the 118 highway involving foreigner

maanoi

No mention a "farang" was involved in any of the facebook posting I have seen from the police, friends of deceased, etc.

It was and unfortunately I know the individual.

What an awful position for him to be in- regardless of possible fault, it obviously wasn't his intent to hurt anyone- he's got a heavy burden to deal with. As a rider my thoughts go out to the deceased, but I can also feel for the driver.

I have no sympathy for the drivers who like to play Russian roulette with other people`s lives.

They are gambling on luck that motorbike riders will manage to skim passed on time. These morons have no regard for other road users and the life threatening situations they place others in. I have no doubts that they have the same pig headed attitudes towards others even when off the road.

Quite frankly, if it is proven that the farang killed an innocent motorcyclist by negligent driving, than I hope he is made to suffer the same as the suffering he has inflicted on his victim`s family.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I heard from a friend that the police in their infinite wisdom had set up a checkpoint at the bottom of one of the underpasses (yes that's right at the bottom) on the highway (I think the one at Chang Puak - as that is where my friend is located). A motorbike carrying 3 young passengers (yes I know overloaded) shocked by the sudden presence of a police check point did an automatic u turn and hit an oncoming truck and the rest is predictable. I am trying to find a news piece on this as my source is pretty reliable and this supposedly happened last night. Has anyone seen any news on this?

Giving some thought to this accident...... If the p/u driver was on the correct side of the road, left hand side of the road, say going Northbound, and was going to turn right, into the U turn , and had gotten far enough into the Southbound lanes to have the moto hit him, how did the moto hit so far into the right corner fender of the p/u ? If you accept the directions of above example, by the time the p/u was that far out into the southbound lanes,. he would have been at least facing East or better, the Southbound moto should have hit him on the other fender. Maybe one or the other was driving on the wrong side of the road. Strange things happen at 2, 3, 4 o'clock in the morning especially if a couple of drinks were involved.

Need to get the facts m'am just the facts.

That's basically what I was asking in post #26. The position of the bike and rider, the position of the truck, and the impact area on the truck suggests they were traveling in either the same direction and the truck turned right from the center lane, or the bike came up on the right side of the truck as it was turning, or... as so frequently happens here, the bike was going straight and the truck pulled a right-hand U-turn across two lanes of traffic and the bike ran into it.

Look at where the truck is hit. head on collision. That is not the impact from turning across someone when both are travelling in the same direction.

I think 'head on' would have accordioned the front of the truck backwards towards the cab. This damage is a strike to the front quarter, just in front of the wheel well, shearing the metal away from the cab. Perhaps it was the rider's body that crumpled the bodywork above the fender while his bike tore into the section just behind the grill work. That can only come from the bike hitting the truck from the truck's right side. The question remains whether the truck was making a U-turn, starting his action from the far side of the road and crossing one or two lanes of traffic, not seeing the bike and rider traveling down the road, or if the truck was making a legal U-turn and the bike tried to zip past in the inside before he could make the turn.

Looking at the original photos suggests to me that the truck was crossing two lanes of traffic. It seems to be at 90 degrees to the flow of traffic. That would be difficult to do, especially so close to the turning point, if it were making a normal U-turn. Starting from the U-turn lane, a truck that size wouldn't be 90 degrees to the flow of traffic until it were already well into the first lane of on-coming traffic, not back blocking the front of the U-turn lane.

Conjecture on my part, obviously. But that's how I read the photos.

All conjuncture from all of us.

No mention a "farang" was involved in any of the facebook posting I have seen from the police, friends of deceased, etc.

It was and unfortunately I know the individual.

What an awful position for him to be in- regardless of possible fault, it obviously wasn't his intent to hurt anyone- he's got a heavy burden to deal with. As a rider my thoughts go out to the deceased, but I can also feel for the driver.

I have no sympathy for the drivers who like to play Russian roulette with other people`s lives.

They are gambling on luck that motorbike riders will manage to skim passed on time. These morons have no regard for other road users and the life threatening situations they place others in. I have no doubts that they have the same pig headed attitudes towards others even when off the road.

Quite frankly, if it is proven that the farang killed an innocent motorcyclist by negligent driving, than I hope he is made to suffer the same as the suffering he has inflicted on his victim`s family.

You have no idea about the facts but you have already tried and convicted the truck driver.

^^

Not everyone subscribes to the 'innocent until proven guilty' doctrine, I guess...

I've done a few stupid things behind the wheel and the handlebars (though I try not to make a habit of it)- fortunately I never hurt anyone (or myself)- at this point, though, we don't know who's fault this was (or if there is fault to be shared).

Of course he should pay any legal penalty if found responsible.

Edited by flare

I heard from a friend that the police in their infinite wisdom had set up a checkpoint at the bottom of one of the underpasses (yes that's right at the bottom) on the highway (I think the one at Chang Puak - as that is where my friend is located). A motorbike carrying 3 young passengers (yes I know overloaded) shocked by the sudden presence of a police check point did an automatic u turn and hit an oncoming truck and the rest is predictable. I am trying to find a news piece on this as my source is pretty reliable and this supposedly happened last night. Has anyone seen any news on this?

Believe this is the accident shown on CM108 - Google Translate

Best the police stay in the police stations. They don't contribute to society sad.png

Gosh that translation really is something. Anyway from the original article seems to be a bit of a disagreement about police being the cause. It seems journalists have published police as the cause but police are saying they only turned up after an incident. Have to read it again as a bit confusing.

From what I was told they did a uey because because they saw a checkpoint, otherwise lets face it why would you do a uey in a tunnel! This was at 2am.

You have no idea about the facts but you have already tried and convicted the truck driver.

Read my posts again. I have only gone by information given out in previous posts.

My points have been, if the Ute driver is proven to be at fault. If it transpires that the motorbike rider caused the accident by trying to evade the police, than that`s a different story. And yes, at this time I have no idea of the actual facts of this case.

I don't believe anyone in their right mind would purposely drive their vehicle in front of an approaching motorcycle. This seems to be an accident pure and simple. Sure someone will be at fault but Id bet it wasn't intentional.

Just a very sorry state of affairs for all concerned.

I don't believe anyone in their right mind would purposely drive their vehicle in front of an approaching motorcycle. This seems to be an accident pure and simple. Sure someone will be at fault but Id bet it wasn't intentional.

Just a very sorry state of affairs for all concerned.

Most likely true & a sad but simple fact is most drivers are mentally trained to look if any "cars"

are coming. I know it sounds odd but thru the years I have seen & heard others claim the same.

Many times they just don't "register" seeing a bike.

I know for a fact this is true because even in the US many times while approaching a stopped car & seeing the driver looking right at me...they have at times still pulled right out.

It was as if I was invisible & in some ways to their glance/checking for "cars" I was.

I personally have for decades used a technique when riding bikes.... When I see any car stopped but ready to enter from left or right side of the road.

I put the majority of my focus on their front wheel. Because I see this turn before I even see the car move so get that split extra time to react.

We can talk all we want about responsibility & yes they all should see us/bikes... But in the end better take steps to care for yourself as it is most important.

Edited by mania

Agreed, I generally give a short blast on my airhorns. It always grabs their attention and they do see me on the bike therein.

Some may think this is annoying but I feel safer in doing so. I don't like to take anything for granted when out riding. You cannot afford to as you have no safety cage around you like cars, trucks etc. Anything goes wrong and you or the bike will come off second best. Quite often both get damaged....and sometimes its not repairable.

You gotta be vigilant at all times.

Makes you wonder how riders enjoy their bikes with all that but we do!

From facebook:

Drive carefully lady's and gentlemen, apparently the Thai Mr - นายภูเบศ ศรีอมรทัต on the big bike yesterday was speeding along HW 118 past PPT opp 7 shop? No helmet (died) - was cut off by Mr M Sears? in the silver Toymotor Humvee lookalike. - Police say Farang at fault?

post-110219-0-97127700-1437194934_thumb.

post-110219-0-17067500-1437195063_thumb.

After seeing these latest pictures things add up a bit more. The truck is perpendicular to the u-turn lane but looks like he started the turn from the left/center lane rather than being in the u-turn lane. The MC was overtaking on the trucks right when the truck turned into his path. The major damage is on the right front of the truck, very little on the left and the bike and driver continued forward to the spot they are at.

There is a clearer photo on Chiangmai News showing the left front of the truck with minimal impact damage - http://www.chiangmainews.co.th/page/?p=404130

After seeing these latest pictures things add up a bit more. The truck is perpendicular to the u-turn lane but looks like he started the turn from the left/center lane rather than being in the u-turn lane. The MC was overtaking on the trucks right when the truck turned into his path. The major damage is on the right front of the truck, very little on the left and the bike and driver continued forward to the spot they are at.

Yeh I think he was leaving the market trying to get to the U-turn. Bike probably going too fast and truck driver didn't see him.

Also note the truck has bull bars on the front. No give in those in an accident. I believe in some countries they are illegal due to the extra damage the other party receives in an accident.

True, they have been banned in NZ But you may have them on an agricultural/farm vehicle. Very strong rules apply.

Bull or Roo bars were very common in Aussie not sure if they still are. But then there is more requirement for them in Australia. .. those roos can do a bit of damage if you happen across one. Absolute mess if on a bike.

There is a clearer photo on Chiangmai News showing the left front of the truck with minimal impact damage - http://www.chiangmainews.co.th/page/?p=404130

A 'Mark Sears' (post #77) commented about high speed traffic moving to the middle lane to u-turn, on this news story in the Phuket gazette titled:

"helmetless motorcyclist dead after hitting pick up truck"

Dated: August 20th, 2014

Couldn't agree with you more. See it every morning going north on Thepkrasattri Rd from the Heroines to the U-turn at Thai Watsadu. Then get to see the same thing again about 3 or 4 mins later going south on Thepkrasattri Rd to the U-turn at Wat Tha Rua, where very high speed traffic is forced OUT of what is meant to be the U-turn lane into the middle lane (which then becomes the U-turn lane). Dangerous mak-mak.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Helmetless-motorcyclist-dead-hitting-pickup-truck/33607#ad-image-0

Edited by Loaded

- Police say Farang at fault?

If the truck was entering the traffic from a spot off the left of the road yes 100% his duty to determine whether safe to do so or not.

If the truck was moving with traffic & decided to turn right or make a U turn again his responsibility to determine whether his right side is clear & is safe to do so.

Edited by mania

Of course we cannot say with 100% certainty what occurred but this scenario possibility you mention..........

I am sure we have all seen it haven't we? You know those folks who want to U turn from center lane...usually to get up a few places in Que or just deciding

at the last moment to just do it.

I know I have & always squint thinking how dangerous it is & how these types also cut-off those waiting to U turn visibility by blocking their line of sight

Edited by mania

I know I have & always squint thinking how dangerous it is & how these types also cut-off those waiting to U turn visibility by blocking their line of sight

I always thought that was one of the dumbest ideas and I hate them and will sometimes go out of my way to not have to use it. That is the dual direction u-turn spots. Offsetting them by 50 meters would be a huge improvement at those spots.

Saw an accident a few months ago at the 1st u-turn coming from BigC to go back to Hang Dong road. Queues in both directions for u-turns making it a blind spot so cars slowly creep out to try and see what is coming. One pickup did such but he accelerated fast and got hit hard by a fast moving oncoming car. They have since put up a CCTV camera at that spot. Guess it happens often.

Yes sir, I've come across those types. In too much of a hurry to wait in a queue but then some drivers are hopeless at merging into traffic as well. A bit like response times when a traffic light turns green.

If you are 15 to 20 cars back you will be very lucky to get through. There's like a 5 second delay as each car decides it can move forward.

Ok I'll stop now....going off topic.

I always thought that was one of the dumbest ideas and I hate them and will sometimes go out of my way to not have to use it. That is the dual direction u-turn spots. Offsetting them by 50 meters would be a huge improvement at those spots.

Saw an accident a few months ago at the 1st u-turn coming from BigC to go back to Hang Dong road. Queues in both directions for u-turns making it a blind spot so cars slowly creep out to try and see what is coming. One pickup did such but he accelerated fast and got hit hard by a fast moving oncoming car. They have since put up a CCTV camera at that spot. Guess it happens often.

U turns on major highways are dangerous. But they're cheap. That's why they have them here.

Yes sir, I've come across those types. In too much of a hurry to wait in a queue but then some drivers are hopeless at merging into traffic as well. A bit like response times when a traffic light turns green.

If you are 15 to 20 cars back you will be very lucky to get through. There's like a 5 second delay as each car decides it can move forward.

Ok I'll stop now....going off topic.

Thanks I thought I was the only one who felt/noticed this - but never mind the delay in going forward how about the right hand lane and those that want to take a right instead of going straight - this is on a green arrow straight and green arrow right - your lucky if ten cars make it thru to go forward - this is why at an intersection I am always in the left hand lane to go forward - ok I'll stop now ... going off topic

U turns on major highways are dangerous. But they're cheap. That's why they have them here.

True but I think for this place they are better off just closing them with those concrete walls.

On most of these highways there is always another underpass/exit over section not far off & therein lies a safer/proper U turn lane with large breaks in traffic due to the stop light usually near it

I know folks would complain but overall just seems safer

True but I think for this place they are better off just closing them with those concrete walls.

On most of these highways there is always another underpass/exit over section not far off & therein lies a safer/proper U turn lane with large breaks in traffic due to the stop light usually near it

I know folks would complain but overall just seems safer

There are no underpass's or fly overs on the 118.wink.png Next idea.