Apple Watch On Thai Sale Today

IMHO

Another must have gadget for the HiSo's to 'pose' with whilst sat in Starbucks window like a 'goldfish in a bowl' making their Coffee last 4 hours.

So, how much did it cost you?

They start at 13.5K Baht - which unless your favorite brand is Casio, isn't really that much for a watch ;)

Was curious about what it did as I never had much interest in smart watches. Still don't have much interest. biggrin.png

Yeah, I think you have to be under 25 and predominantly female :P

Unfortunately for me, I have kids fitting the demographic :(

I haven't owned a watch in 20 years, but got an sports 42mm last week when in the states. About 12,000. I love it. OS2 out in Fall, with many more amazing updates. If you guys are curious whether to get one or have any questions about it, of course you can always Google, but on a practical level, this device has a lot going for it. Also, every day I find more things it can do. It's innovative, not trendy.

For all the apple haters that seem to always want to come to this forum, why is that? I've never seen Windows or Android forums invaded by Apple lovers. What is it that makes you want to come here? And it's always talk of wasting money, trying to be trendy, blah blah blah. Have you done research on what the Apple Watch can do? You haters confuse me.

According to my sources, err, daughters, it's a must-have in the classroom because phones tend to get sequestered away by teachers when they're spotted, which means they might have a delayed response to some time-critical, absolutely vital, social networking post or IM message biggrin.png

It's also apparently going to be just as useful when the phone is stowed away in a handbag or backpack..

I'll finish this farce off with this obviously well rehearsed quote I was given: "It's like the internet - once you have it, you couldn't imagine life without it".

Oh the joy of fatherhood! tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

For now it seems that it's only available thru the Apple Store and a few selected shops in Bangkok.

Any idea when it's available throughout the country (iBeat / Isaan)?

Would like to try one first to see it on my wrist before buying, 38 or 42 etc.

Regards,

Nongsung

My main question: How long does the watch last before the battery is flat?

1 day

18 hours

The first several days I had it it lasted the day just. Now that I've played with it and use it regularly I put it on its charger at night and it is usually around 50%. I have about 400 songs on it to use during my workout with my Bluetooth headphones, I think that takes a bot of juice out of it but still was at 45% last night.

1 day

18 hours

The first several days I had it it lasted the day just. Now that I've played with it and use it regularly I put it on its charger at night and it is usually around 50%. I have about 400 songs on it to use during my workout with my Bluetooth headphones, I think that takes a bot of juice out of it but still was at 45% last night.

Any updates on life in Thailand with your iWatch?

I'm looking forwards to playing with mine which should arrive fairly soon...

I'm not sure I'll wear it all the time though as I also have a number of other far higher end watches I enjoy (for jewellery purposes (which will make the "who needs a watch when you can tell the time on your phone" crowd happy))...

Some say the iWatch is pricey - it will be the cheapest watch I own so that puts that issue to bed... And to back up what one of the previous posters said about Apple Haters - they confuse me too... But, my own opinions are open on the iWatch until I get it and use it... After getting the first generation iPhone I hated it and got rid of it, I waited until the iPhone 4 to try again and was suitably impressed...

After watching a couple of videos on the set up etc... I'm interested to see how well it will work and how suitable it is to my life.

I'm interested to see how easy it is to call an UBER taxi on the iWatch.

I wonder if the Bluetooth connection between iWatch and iPhone will interfere with the Bluetooth connection between my iPhone and Car (or will the Car connection over ride it, or could I set it up that way)...

Perhaps there is a lot further for these products to go... time will tell...

Thus: I already starting to wonder what the next generation iWatch has to offer and I haven't even received mine yet !

Things I would like to see on it:

1) An App on the Watch which alarms if I loose Bluetooth signal with the phone (which probably means I've left it in the pub !).

2) GPS capability, so that I can use the iWatch as a better fitness tracker (i.e. for playing football etc).

3) Obviously a better battery.

I'm enjoying mine quite a bit, Got the 42mm Stainless. One feature i'm surprised to make use of is the fitness/activity tracker. I find myself being on my feet/walking around the datacentre more than i was in the past.

I'm enjoying mine quite a bit, Got the 42mm Stainless. One feature i'm surprised to make use of is the fitness/activity tracker. I find myself being on my feet/walking around the datacentre more than i was in the past.

So...... The Watch arrived a couple of days ago...

Which means, I've lived with it a couple of days....

Pre-summary of what I'm about to say... It's a Casio Watch-Calculator which doesn't work unless you turn it towards you...

Promises promises... or I should write... get back into reality.. How good could it be?

First issue: I can wear a Rolex, Panerai, Frank Muller, Bell & Ross and feel less self 'wrist' conscious...

Is it me?... I think I'm techno-bling conscious..

It's a dash embarrassing having something new, akin to the new trainers which you have to scuff before someone like me notices them for being 'too new'.....

Again... is it me? perhaps...

So... Two days to play with my new techno-gadget... my first for a while... drones were an option I never entertained...... bring on the Apple Watch...

.... I can check my messages... SMS's, Whatsapp's, Line's, email....

Except I didn't..... in my pocket my phone buzzed and vibrated just like my new watch on my wrist, I ignored it until I was ready to 'glance'.....

..........new watch on wrist... buzzing, vibrating, telling me what I needed to know about who, what, where, why, how... Well, the watch could do that but, being 'tech savvy' and having 'youtubed' up on the new tech I dug into the settings and stripped back on the alerts.... Only 'important alerts' would bother me !!!! *Yes, I'm aware of the irony of this self defeating golden droplet of fundamentally flawed logic *cutting back on the alerts of something I purchase to improve 'alerts' !!!

Tonight I was in conversation, trapped in conversation???? Well, no and yes... I was enjoying a conversation with someone I'd just met, someone who I felt would be offended if I picked up my phone and looked at the screen while I talked with them. So, Yes, I was trapped, but only by my good manners.... So, I never looked at my Watch screen when the watch buzzed...

I wanted to look at the screen and see who it was who wanted me.... who was it?... I ignored the watch vibration out of consideration and eye contact with my 'conversateur' or is that 'converstatee'??? who cares?... (I do)...

Why did I ignore the watch sounds and vibrations ?... Well, it would've been impolite to break eye contact and attention with someone who's conversational eminence was borne of yesteryear's social finesse but now accepting of todays don't-give-a-sh!t fvckwittedness where concentrated eye contact is key and the direction in which you glance, raise an eyebrow, sniff or flinch means you've watched too many 'Lie to Me' episodes or fancy the Mentalist... ... (sorry... bad language back there... )... ....People deserve manners and respect and today many, the smart ones at least can readily observe when it slips, even by simple accident... so, I can't look at my watch can I ?? !!!!!!

Thus... regardless of all the bumf above... I missed an important call by 1 hour because I ignored the vibrations on wrist and in pocket... too many notifications? or perhaps too much self consciousness of a new bit of techno gadgetry... I'd have checked my phone, but didn't want to check my wrist 'cos I was wearing something new, showoffable...

The 1980's Casio-Watch-Calculator is cool... it doesn't vibrate or alert and I can still check the time when I don't lift it up and turn it towards me...

Yeah I'm addicted to filling in my rings.

Yeah I'm addicted to filling in my rings.

It's all in the wrist sir. It's all in the wrist.....

Im in the other camp and have been for over a year...looking forward to my upgraded pebble time steel arriving.

Having used a smart watch for longer than apple watch has existed gives plenty of experience in the subject.

First off, I like having discreet notification device and would never want to poke my wrist to do important or complex tasks...for those pull out the large screen phone. But my work means certain messages need instant action 24/7, some can wait and facebook really doesnt matter.

Facebook doesnt reach my wrist, emails do for instant action or ignoring and saves countless phone checkings per day.

I have never taken watches off at night or when swimming/showering so being waterproof and having a 7 day battery makes a big difference... annoyed enough when my phone battery dies, a watch not telling the time would be worse.

Looking forward to apples future innovation in the area and other companies work now apple have brought it to the limelight... but for now I still believe the pebble is the best smartwatch available (since smartwatches cannot physically work as smartly as their creators would like, yet)

I bought an Apple Watch about six weeks ago during a trip to the USA. I have to say that I have grown to really like it. That is, more in its simplicity rather than in its attempting to be an iPhone on your wrist. That it is not. But I now never miss a call when my phone is in my pocket, I can glance at emails and texts as they come in to see if they are urgent, have a quick look at upcoming appointments and be reminded of them, get simple breaking news alerts, and the list goes on. I have also found the fitness tracker to be compelling, reminding me to stand up and move around when I have been at my desk all day, and the little bugger is actually making me do more exercise, just so I can see progress.

Yes, Apple Watch is in its very first revision, and will no doubt evolve just as iPhone did. But I truly enjoy using it now. I never thought I would be wearing it every day, but thus far, I have.

What about these statements?

"Sales will start strong thanks to 'pent-up demand' but then fade in the U.S. 'once the initial fever wears off.'

Apple would need 'half a dozen variants in the pipeline' to keep it popular. Otherwise, it will be 'passe within 3 months.'

The price tag will be a 'serious impediment'

'There's no chance that it is going to get any significant market share. No chance." (Steve Ballmer)

Nothing more than a luxury bauble that will appeal to a few gadget freaks. Apple will sell a few to its fans, but it won't make a long-term mark on the industry.(Bloomberg)

It will be a major disappointment.

It is going to fail because its design is fundamentally flawed.

-----

Those are all statements from iPhone reviewers in 2007.

1 day

18 hours

I'm not sure I'll wear it all the time though as I also have a number of other far higher end watches I enjoy (for jewellery purposes (which will make the "who needs a watch when you can tell the time on your phone" crowd happy))...

Some say the iWatch is pricey - it will be the cheapest watch I own so that puts that issue to bed... And to back up what one of the previous posters said about Apple Haters - they confuse me too... But, my own opinions are open on the iWatch until I get it and use it... After getting the first generation iPhone I hated it and got rid of it, I waited until the iPhone 4 to try again and was suitably impressed...

After watching a couple of videos on the set up etc... I'm interested to see how well it will work and how suitable it is to my life.

I wonder if the Bluetooth connection between iWatch and iPhone will interfere with the Bluetooth connection between my iPhone and Car (or will the Car connection over ride it, or could I set it up that way)...

Thus: I already starting to wonder what the next generation iWatch has to offer and I haven't even received mine yet !

1) An App on the Watch which alarms if I loose Bluetooth signal with the phone (which probably means I've left it in the pub !).

2) GPS capability, so that I can use the iWatch as a better fitness tracker (i.e. for playing football etc).

To answer a couple of your questions based on my experience:

I have used Uber with my Apple Watch. Just tap the app on your watch, you get an estimated time for your car's arrival, and there is a Request button that you tap.

Your car's bluetooth connection remains unchanged and connected to your iPhone. You don't need to set anything up or do any settings. It just works.

As for the battery, when you first get your watch and fiddle with it a lot all day, the battery just makes it to bedtime. After starting to just use it normally, I usually have 35 - 45 percent left at the end of the day.

GPS: Apple Watch accesses your iPhone's GPS and uses it for fitness tracking.

1 day

18 hours

To answer a couple of your questions based on my experience:

I have used Uber with my Apple Watch. Just tap the app on your watch, you get an estimated time for your car's arrival, and there is a Request button that you tap.

Your car's bluetooth connection remains unchanged and connected to your iPhone. You don't need to set anything up or do any settings. It just works.

As for the battery, when you first get your watch and fiddle with it a lot all day, the battery just makes it to bedtime. After starting to just use it normally, I usually have 35 - 45 percent left at the end of the day.

GPS: Apple Watch accesses your iPhone's GPS and uses it for fitness tracking.

Thanks.... my experience is pretty much the same.

Although - I still use my phone to order an UBER.

As you mention, no issues with the bluetooth connection in my car.

I actually haven't seen my battery drop below 50% - I guess I don't actually use the watch that much - but find it useful to receive incoming messages with a simple turn of the wrist.

But: GPS - I don't carry my phone when playing football so the fitness tracking relies only on movement. I apparently covered 7 miles playing football. This is calculated from my height, Weight, Age info input into the Watch - I'm not sure how accurate this 7 miles is.

Got to use Apple Pay yesterday, After importing my debit cards, now all i need to do is double tap the contacts button and wave my wrist at a terminal.

Worked real well. I bought beer. smile.png

Was this in Thailand?

Sadly not. I dont think Thailand supports contactless yet - also chip & pin ?

Definitely not. Presently, Apple Pay is only available in the USA and UK.

Not surprisingly, Thailand is a generation behind on retail credit card processing. No chip and pin that I have ever seen, and we are still signing paper slips when we check out.