Bangkok suspends buying submarines from China over US concern: expert

webfact

Why would Thailand care what the U.S. thinks about the purchase of subs?

And why would the U.S. care if Thailand purchases subs?

Honestly, this penchant for subs was unreasonable, and not supported by any RTN mission requirements, so assigning a reason for the lack of a decision on the U.S. is just a face-saving measure. Although it does make the military government look silly and schizophrenic.

Now maybe time to shutter the Submarine Squadron Training Center at Sattahip Naval Base.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The US may have pointed out that, if tensions escalate beyond a certain point, Thailand will have to publicly choose sides and if it chooses the US, China will no longer support the maintenance of the submarines.

Since China claims the China sea as their own based on their old old history, unrespect international law and harm VN, Philipine neighbors by building land on their neigbor sea, the tension was now more and more critical. Now nobody reacts strongly by fear of the great China armies. China also warns Usa that is not usa matters in Asia.

Buying China submarines means Thailand choose his side for the China despote. No liberty in this country,even China people try to leave the country regime. Better thailand consider this point and dont support this China regime. Once they get this ocean without opposition, what country will be the next for China expansion in asia?

Lets see, economy tanking, tourism down, drought warnings, baht dropping. farmers told to stop irrigating fields so the poor huddled masses in Bangkok can drink. Yet the Government decides to buy submarines for reasons no one can really figure out. Granted they would make a good task force with the aircraft carrier Thailand owns but ..... And people are justifiably upset

Nothing to do but cancel the deal and .... drumroll please ....... try and blame the stop order on ....The Amerikans biggrin.png

Say what you will you have to be impressed at the lengths The Nation will go to deflect and spin a pooch screw .... Go Team!

N

I am impressed at the lengths you go to paint such a tragic picture of Thailand burning, while you strum your fiddle. You sound simply ecstatic at the thought of it. thumbsup.gif

Mike ac is simply stating the truth as it is, if you prefer it sugar coated that's your choice.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you imagine a WalMart or 3 here in Land of Scams?

I've been to several WalMarts in China. What a disappointment.

They're nothing like the WalMarts back home. In fact, other than the sign outside, it's hard to distinguish them from any other big store in China. Just like the big stores in China with Korean names and Japanese names. They even smell the same.

I'm pretty sure a WalMart in Thailand wouldn't be much different than a Big C or TESCO. And the percentage of goods from the USA would be minuscule.

I found a Carrefour in Taiwan once. I thought had hot the jackpot of Western shopping/

It was absolutely horrible! Don't even get me started on the smells.

===============

Thailand needs sub's like I need (another) hole in my head.

The Chinese reporter just said what is blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Is it possible that through the "back channels", which are never known to the public, that the U.S. told Thailand: "Buy the Chinese subs and we will screw you every possible."

I imagine there are many different ways to say "we will screw you in every way possible"

Is it possible that through the "back channels", which are never known to the public, that the U.S. told Thailand: "Buy the Chinese subs and we will screw you every possible."

I imagine there are many different ways to say "we will screw you in every way possible"

Just let them buy 'em and try & operate & maintain 'em for a year or two. That should be all the "lesson" needed ... But at least they'll "have what Malaysia & Singapore (& whoever else) has", and maybe a hi-speed railroad to somewhere, so 'worth some face I guess ...

Just let them buy 'em and try & operate & maintain 'em for a year or two. That should be all the "lesson" needed ... But at least they'll "have what Malaysia & Singapore (& whoever else) has", and maybe a hi-speed railroad to somewhere, so 'worth some face I guess ...

2 year warranty