Best Price for Gabapentin (Neurontin) 300mg?

Tecumseh

I can't speak to that particular medication but the place where I've found the best prices for the items that I purchase is at Peera Pharmacy near the Thapae Gate. It's about half a dozen storefronts down from Black Canyon Coffee on Ratchadamnoen Road.

Peera is a great pharmacy and she stocks just about anything, but she's not the cheapest.

I know there are some members taking other medications, that they buy in bulk at a reasonable price, but I couldn't tell you where.

Maybe someone will come along soon, it's early days.

Good luck.

Peera is a great pharmacy and she stocks just about anything, but she's not the cheapest.

I know there are some members taking other medications, that they buy in bulk at a reasonable price, but I couldn't tell you where.

Good luck.

So in other words you have nothing to add to this thread ? But on the bright side you added another post to your numbers.

Good luck.

So in other words you have nothing to add to this thread ? But on the bright side you added another post to your numbers.

Kinda like your post then. facepalm.gif

Good luck.

...and yours. Where will this all end I wonder! laugh.png

Good luck.

...and yours. Where will this all end I wonder! laugh.png

16,622?

Edited by MESmith

I'll be interested to know what the best price is. I use a box of 100 (300 mg) a month and pay 1000 baht at the local pharmacy. I've written about what a great drug this for neurological pain on my blog.

http://www.kamalala.com/gaba-is-the-drug-for-chronic-pain/

Why not say the name and place of the pharmacy you use, to maybe help the OP (and others)?

From what I've read 10 Baht per 300 mg capsule is cheap.

I'll be interested to know what the best price is. I use a box of 100 (300 mg) a month and pay 1000 baht at the local pharmacy. I've written about what a great drug this for neurological pain on my blog.

Why not say the name and place of the pharmacy you use, to maybe help the OP (and others)?

This is correct. Gabapentin is no longer under licence and much cheaper generic versions of Neurontin are available, although that doesn't seem such a bad price for it - I know a few people who take it and they would be quite happy with that. The trick is to find a pharmacy, let them know that you will be ordering this every month and ask for a discount. You may have to wait until they see that you go in every month, and it doesn't hurt to buy any odd headache/bellyache/cough and cold medication from there when required.

Only 3 more years and gabapentin's big brother, Lyrica (pregabalin), will be available generically - that is, if Pfizer doesn't go back to court and have the exclusive licence extended again. If you think 10 baht per capsule is bad, spare a thought for those of us paying well over 80 baht! At 2 capsules a day, it's a pretty expensive habit. Thankfully we kept up our taxes etc back home and I can get the heavily subsidised price. I shudder to think what it was costing before it appeared on the approved medications list.

• 10 months later...

This is correct. Gabapentin is no longer under licence and much cheaper generic versions of Neurontin are available, although that doesn't seem such a bad price for it - I know a few people who take it and they would be quite happy with that. The trick is to find a pharmacy, let them know that you will be ordering this every month and ask for a discount. You may have to wait until they see that you go in every month, and it doesn't hurt to buy any odd headache/bellyache/cough and cold medication from there when required.

Only 3 more years and gabapentin's big brother, Lyrica (pregabalin), will be available generically - that is, if Pfizer doesn't go back to court and have the exclusive licence extended again. If you think 10 baht per capsule is bad, spare a thought for those of us paying well over 80 baht! At 2 capsules a day, it's a pretty expensive habit. Thankfully we kept up our taxes etc back home and I can get the heavily subsidised price. I shudder to think what it was costing before it appeared on the approved medications list.

Have you heard any more news regarding Lyrica?

I did a bit of digging and it's only in US controlled countries that the licence is still intact - Pfizer went to court and had it extended, I got an emergency supply in UK a couple of years ago and it was generic, but the EU was threatened with court so it's back to only Lyrica brand being prescribed. I think the same in Australia, 18 months ago I was given Lyrica with no (government mandated) question at the pharmacy as to whether I would accept a cheaper generic version if it was available. It seems that it's only in developed countries (EU, Aus and NZ) where Pfizer will make big profits through government subsidised prescriptions and via health insurance companies footing the bill in the US that the licence extension was applied for and surprisingly granted as they are usually set in stone. I thought it was expensive here until I looked at the cost in US, I forget now but it was massively over the price here.

A generic version is available here, cheaper than Lyrica (about a third of the price from memory) but it is only available in 75mg - depending on how I'm going I have 2 or 3 150mg tablets per day so it didn't work out hugely cheaper - plus you'd have to have a nice friendly pharmacist who will have to try to order it in for you, I do but your mileage may vary. What did work out much cheaper though was a trip to Phnom Penh. I contacted some pharmacies via email or their Facebook pages (3 out of 5 responded) and a 12 month supply was quoted as between US$5 and $7 per box of 14 tablets of 75mg or 150mg, which worked out at the cheapest as US$20 for 56 tablets as is the box of Lyrica. Flew in, had a couple of nights in a nice hotel, bought up big - it is a German owned brand (I forget the name) - at US$5/box flew back (with doctor's letter in hand just in case) and still came out miles ahead. A lot cheaper than the subsidised original that I can get in Australia which runs at AU$37 or AU$73 for a private prescription which you can ask for if getting more than the doctor can legally put on one prescription including repeats, which I think is a 12 month supply.

Miles ahead with a visa run and a nice mini-break, those miles being 5,000-ish baht per 56 Lyrica tablets here compared to 705 baht (US$20) per 56 generic tablets. And contrary to every single time I've been to PP over the last 15 years, with every time seeing declarations on how I'll never go back to that cesspit again, I actually enjoyed it. Stayed in the BKK district, more expat than tourist, but the whole place just seems to have a different vibe to it and if I'd known I probably wouldn't have brought a whole year's supply; I only did that so that I could avoid going to Cambodia unless absolutely necessary, but it's changed enough now to be a pleasant enough sort of place to go to for my visa runs (I still have to leave every the country every 90 days because I'm merely a spouse of a retiree and not a retiree in my own right).

I priced them in Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia by getting local friends who live there going into pharmacies and asking, Malaysia requires a prescription but was most expensive of those anyway.

TL;DR - Go to Cambodia. Negotiate with the pharmacy for good price but I could guide prices as at April 2016 given.

I did a bit of digging and it's only in US controlled countries that the licence is still intact - Pfizer went to court and had it extended, I got an emergency supply in UK a couple of years ago and it was generic, but the EU was threatened with court so it's back to only Lyrica brand being prescribed. I think the same in Australia, 18 months ago I was given Lyrica with no (government mandated) question at the pharmacy as to whether I would accept a cheaper generic version if it was available. It seems that it's only in developed countries (EU, Aus and NZ) where Pfizer will make big profits through government subsidised prescriptions and via health insurance companies footing the bill in the US that the licence extension was applied for and surprisingly granted as they are usually set in stone. I thought it was expensive here until I looked at the cost in US, I forget now but it was massively over the price here.

A generic version is available here, cheaper than Lyrica (about a third of the price from memory) but it is only available in 75mg - depending on how I'm going I have 2 or 3 150mg tablets per day so it didn't work out hugely cheaper - plus you'd have to have a nice friendly pharmacist who will have to try to order it in for you, I do but your mileage may vary. What did work out much cheaper though was a trip to Phnom Penh. I contacted some pharmacies via email or their Facebook pages (3 out of 5 responded) and a 12 month supply was quoted as between US$5 and $7 per box of 14 tablets of 75mg or 150mg, which worked out at the cheapest as US$20 for 56 tablets as is the box of Lyrica. Flew in, had a couple of nights in a nice hotel, bought up big - it is a German owned brand (I forget the name) - at US$5/box flew back (with doctor's letter in hand just in case) and still came out miles ahead. A lot cheaper than the subsidised original that I can get in Australia which runs at AU$37 or AU$73 for a private prescription which you can ask for if getting more than the doctor can legally put on one prescription including repeats, which I think is a 12 month supply.

Miles ahead with a visa run and a nice mini-break, those miles being 5,000-ish baht per 56 Lyrica tablets here compared to 705 baht (US$20) per 56 generic tablets. And contrary to every single time I've been to PP over the last 15 years, with every time seeing declarations on how I'll never go back to that cesspit again, I actually enjoyed it. Stayed in the BKK district, more expat than tourist, but the whole place just seems to have a different vibe to it and if I'd known I probably wouldn't have brought a whole year's supply; I only did that so that I could avoid going to Cambodia unless absolutely necessary, but it's changed enough now to be a pleasant enough sort of place to go to for my visa runs (I still have to leave every the country every 90 days because I'm merely a spouse of a retiree and not a retiree in my own right).

I priced them in Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia by getting local friends who live there going into pharmacies and asking, Malaysia requires a prescription but was most expensive of those anyway.

TL;DR - Go to Cambodia. Negotiate with the pharmacy for good price but I could guide prices as at April 2016 given.

From what I've heard (no personal experience) there are only a couple of Pharmacies, U Care and Pharmacie De La Gare that are highly reputable and many others (might) stock fakes. As I've said, I have no personal experience, so would welcome your opinion and maybe Sheryl from the health forum could chime in?

Great post above

Sheryl is indeed the person to talk to - she lived in Cambodia and along the borders so and has the medical knowledge so there won't be anyone better. She probably won't be monitoring this conversation, I have no idea how she finds the time to do everything she does on ThaiVisa - and we only see the public stuff, I hate to think about how many personal messages she must get from people who don't want to ask things in front of the entire forum. She replied to a thread I started a while ago and the contact details for the company supplying generic Lyrica in Thailand is

>>Biopharm

7 Fl, Bio House

55 Sukhumvit 39 Bangkok 10110
Contact Information: tel.png Tel: (+66) 2258 8888, (+66) 2258 9999 fax.png Fax: (+66) 2259 0998 email.png Email: [email protected]
(I didn't get a response from a general email, but suppose you wouldn't need it, you could just tell the pharmacist that this is the manufacturer and give them details if they need it for ordering).
She also gave me the name of a couple of trustworthy pharmacies in PP but I can't find them via a quick search. Asking expats or browsing through the Cambodia forum would probably be best, I'm in England at the moment and my internet access is quite limited so I can't spend too much time searching.