Thailand to boost average height with better school meals

Lite Beer

Thai males prefer tall, leggy girls, why not pander to their neeeds. Whilst most westerners prefer the petite Thai girl. Thainess is now part of a nutritional campaign.

Most westerners prefer the petite Thai girl? I don't, my wife is 5ft 9ins. I have never been with any girl under 5ft 5ins. Oh sorry, I did date a Thai beauty at 5ft 4ins.

Just make sure you have a second glance at the tall leggy ones, you know what I mean.

She's had two kids.

My twin girls were raised from 1 yo on a much better diet with increased protein intake than most Thais. Although neither genetic parent is tall, even by Thai standards, every class photo has them as tall as the tallest boys. No extra exercise involved, just more money for better food. At that time there was a school milk program, and for some reason every so often they would bring home a complete carton of UHF milk (23 small servings).

Can it work - definitely. Chances of it working - slim to SFA.

Can't comment on IQ.

Many Thais (as with all Asians) are lactose intolerant. They simply don't like milk. it makes them feel bloated and uncomfortable. Therefore many kids just won't drink the milk supplied free in primary schools. Until this year my daughter was at primary and every day she would bring home undrunk milk. This I would consume for breakfast.

I've not heard that diet can affect height but a thousand year old method does work well.

The short person lays down, restraints are attached to legs/arms and a large wheel is turned to

produce extra inches instantly !

Google search reasons for small people in Medieval England.

"It is commonly believed that during the Dark Ages people were shorter than today. Recent studies conducted to British skeletons have shown some very interesting results. First of all, peasants were on average shorter than nobles. This helds true because of the poor nutrition to which peasants were subject to whilst nobles had a better nutrition and a much better way of life (including enough sleep and other necessary factors for growth)."

http://medieval-castles.org/index.php/how_tall_were_people_during_the_middle_a

How this relates to Thais,

"A recent study based on twins shows that 90% of a person's height is inherited whilst the 10% is based purely in environmental factors. While this difference might seem minor at a first glance, it is to be considered that a person who should have been 6' would be only 5'3. This makes evident that if medieval people had had a good nutrition, they would be as tall as we are today."

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Increase the average IQ... That will be the biggest challange I guess.

Easily solved: If some of the persistent racist, Thai knocking, farangs, returned to their country of origin (Some where no free schools meals are given to students), then this would significantly increase the average IQ of both countries.

Putting an end to the brain washing by previously brain washed teachers paid for by brain washed parents would be way more effective ... have you ever spent any time at all in the real Thai world or do you live in a 'farang' enclave?

You incorrect assumption that I am involved whith teaching only validates my original suggestion.

You may have come to this erroneous conclusion by one or both of the following means.

1. Somebody, with micro-skills, "BRAINWASHED" you.

2. Simply because of the level of your IQ.

If it is the latter, then take note of the OP, and associated newspaper article, and change your diet dramatically.

If this is still beyond your comprehension, then you could always ask an average 8 year old Thai student for advice.

In the meantime, walk carefully, and keep loking down, so that you make sure that you do not trip over very low obstacles such as your own IQ.

Change the curriculum then. mandate at least 2-3 periods of PE, instead of one. Ans make the exercise routines compulsory - no sitting out swimming lessons because they are 'shy'. Get rid of all the fried junk food that is sold in school canteens and only sell healthy food. Only sell fruit at morning break. It's quite simple really, but parents need education too in this regard.

Which is kind of what they are saying "Children at schools across the country would receive healthier meals and more instruction on healthy living and exercise, said an official in the Department of Health who asked not to be named."

Increase the average IQ... That will be the biggest challange I guess.

Easily solved: If some of the persistent racist, Thai knocking, farangs, returned to their country of origin (Some where no free schools meals are given to students), then this would significantly increase the average IQ of both countries.

Putting an end to the brain washing by previously brain washed teachers paid for by brain washed parents would be way more effective ... have you ever spent any time at all in the real Thai world or do you live in a 'farang' enclave?

You incorrect assumption that I am involved whith teaching only validates my original suggestion.

You may have come to this erroneous conclusion by one or both of the following means.

1. Somebody, with micro-skills, "BRAINWASHED" you.

2. Simply because of the level of your IQ.

If it is the latter, then take note of the OP, and associated newspaper article, and change your diet dramatically.

If this is still beyond your comprehension, then you could always ask an average 8 year old Thai student for advice.

In the meantime, walk carefully, and keep loking down, so that you make sure that you do not trip over very low obstacles such as your own IQ.

Please ask the average 8 year old Thai student for advice on my typing errors.

Oh, you make credence of the rumour that your IQ is inversely proportional to your number of TV clicks.

I don't disagree with striving to improve the health and IQ of the nation's children, however how it is worded in this article smacks of eugenics.

After being in Thailand for more than 3 decades I and others have commented on increases in the height and fitness of young adults in the past years, particularly young women.. I have put it down to improvements in diet and school exercise programs. Not too long ago that diet related diseases like beri-beri were still in the population.

I'm for any excuse to have kids eat healthier.

My fear is that Big Agra will convince the powers that be ($$$) that the packaged, sweetened and preserved crap they peddle is what the kids need.

I'm as cynical as you. Knowing LOS as I do, this is obviously a plot to extort, launder or stimulate the creation of vast piles of dirty money for the powers that be. I could say with about 99% certainty that they don't really give a $hit about the kids. Their kids are all in the private system or abroad... this is simply more hot air, (or a scam). Or both. When they initiate and follow through and perpetuate just one sensible program for all children in all schools, and can produce a transparent set of books, then I may believe just a little of this sort of dribble... until that day...

• Like 1

I'm for any excuse to have kids eat healthier.

My fear is that Big Agra will convince the powers that be ($$$) that the packaged, sweetened and preserved crap they peddle is what the kids need.

I'm as cynical as you. Knowing LOS as I do, this is obviously a plot to extort, launder or stimulate the creation of vast piles of dirty money for the powers that be. I could say with about 99% certainty that they don't really give a $hit about the kids. Their kids are all in the private system or abroad... this is simply more hot air, (or a scam). Or both. When they initiate and follow through and perpetuate just one sensible program for all children in all schools, and can produce a transparent set of books, then I may believe just a little of this sort of dribble... until that day...

The only place we differ is that my fear and loathing has more to do with the tentacles (and testicles) of Big Agra, than corruption in Thailand.

I believe that there may be some honest effort here (by some- not all) to do right by the kids in Thailand. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that Big Agra will keep their grubby mitts out of the pie, and sugar and preservatives and other chemicals out of the food.

Apologies to anyone that works for Big Agra and just does their jobs the best they can. (I'm in the oil business, and I know how you feel)

• Like 1

Basically, it's very easy. Granted, I'm from Holland, standing at 6.5. Within my peergroup I am not thought of as being "particularly tall", quite the contrary: being over 55 many younger Dutchmen are taller than me. But: My son, a Luck-krueng in spite of his papa does NOT eat cheese (I love it), but he did drink about 1 liter of milk every day until 6. All this apart from the 200 gram of fish, meat, chicken or duck every meal. His intake of rice is, for Thai standards, minimal (50/50 at most). Lots of fruit, lots of vegies (in a sauce), 2 multivitamines everyday and lo and behold: He's a foot taller than his classroom buddies.

Mind: when you go to Bangkok you see lots of tall children. Usually the parents can afford to go for "an american diet".

Basically it's about affordabilty, and place. Holland happens to be a place with the tallest people in the world, due to the fact that meats, milk, cheese, fish and vegetables are easily available at prices usually lower than Thailand.

That "american diet" can backfire as well.

Years ago I saw a Thai family leaving a MacDonalds on Sukhumvit , ma and pa average size for Thais, short and lean. Then came young son and daughter, both built like sumo wrestlers, waddling like ducks.

Could not help but wonder if their diet contributed to their "girth".

My local high school has (huge) advertising signs in the front for some school function... sponsored by KFC. If you can't see the collision of ethics with this, as they obviously can't then these such schemes will never work. Vendors selling crap, 2nd rate junk food at every school gate... it will never work when they cannot see the irony and conflict of this. (Off topic... The local democrat also donated several thousand exercise books all with his name, and voting slip number on the front cover... seriously. THERE IS NO HOPE... <deleted>) coffee1.gif

Unfortunately, they have also boosted the average circumference of students as well.

By making western junk food, like chips, Pepsi and Coke, readily available to students at school, obesity has become a big problem with young Thai people.

Not only is the junk food sold at schools, it is given to the students as awards and prizes at school functions!

The first year and a half I was in Thailand, I didn't work. During that time I lost 3-4 kgs without even trying. I attribute that to my higher level of physical activity coupled with eating a bit healthier that I did back home.

Then I started working. At my school, we're locked in. Even the teachers and staff! I can't walk 50 meters to the street to buy a 30 baht salad. I've got to buy from the small shops within the school that sell only snacks, candy, mama noodles and deep-fried crapola like pork rinds. You'd think being on your feet for six periods every day and walking 2km around the school would be a good workout, but in the two years of working there, I've put on almost 15 kgs.

Hmmm......Perhaps tone down the chili peppers might make the food stay in the digestive track longer?

My 9 year old daughter can eat the hottest of hot Thai food. She's almost as tall as her 5 foot Mommy though.

I absolutely love spicy food, but it doesn't stick around very long.

I'm pretty sure the bum-gun is the greatest Thai invention ever.

Oh yeah, this has been addressed before by a fearless leader somewhere........Eat more bread.

Edited by jaywalker
  • Like 1

As for height; lots of milk! See the Dutch... As for intelligence, a very regular intake (say every few hours) of protein rich food such as milk, eggs, cheese or meat. Also saturated fatty acids play a big positive role in brain development.

In other words get rid of the white rice in the school menu and replace with dairy, eggs and meat.

You are probably right but it would be huge cultural change to move to a farang diet! Not to mention loss of face.

Yeah it has everything to do with food lol

that's why Africans who are starving to death are over 185cm.

that's why the Japanese who have an abundance of healthy food are under 175cm.

And the USA has health clubs and fitness spas on every corner. I guess that means they must be the leanest & most physically fit people in the world?

It shouldn't require switching to a "foreign" diet. The nutrients are here, but too many people simply make poor choices. When I sit down to eat with my family, most of them take an enormous plate of rice but just a few tiny bits of meat or fish, and perhaps one or two small pieces of carrot or other veggie. They load up with the cheapest possible calories.

Edited by Phoebee