Is buying car insurance direct cheaper than a broker?

giddyup

Another voice for Direct Asia. They came up with something significantly cheaper than continuing with my existing plan or alternatives I looked at. I haven't had to make a claim though so can't comment on this aspect of their service. You can go through the steps on the website to see what you'll be paying.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

Tesco not the best service or price - all they do is offer what they are told and do not ask questions like a good broker should - try AA and they will ask for several things to help lower the premium and should there be a problem they are at the end of a phone (in english !)

You clearly have never used them! I tried AA and they were useless, not a patch on Tesco Lotus, price feedback and service far far better.

you can compare but in the end

the value f the car goes down each year and the policy price goes up

the insurance co will always win

No not true, you adjust price of car to match replacement cost and price year on year in my case has always come down.

No not true, you adjust price of car to match replacement cost and price year on year in my case has always come down.

Same for me. My 6 old Isuzu was 12,000 baht to insure initially, 4 years later it cost just over 8000 baht to insure.

I had to make a claim in the first year and found that upon renewal time the cost of the policy had increased, whilst the sum insured decreased however, the dealer took it upon themselves to find a better deal for me, and after doing so, rang and sought permission to change insurer, at a lower price. The service given by this particular dealer is really great, the repairs were carried out within four hours. They replaced the panels with new parts, nothing repaired. Even free drinks (non alcoholic) and lunch whilst waiting. Swear by this dealership.

I had to make a claim in the first year and found that upon renewal time the cost of the policy had increased, whilst the sum insured decreased however, the dealer took it upon themselves to find a better deal for me, and after doing so, rang and sought permission to change insurer, at a lower price. The service given by this particular dealer is really great, the repairs were carried out within four hours. They replaced the panels with new parts, nothing repaired. Even free drinks (non alcoholic) and lunch whilst waiting. Swear by this dealership.

You make claim of coarse the price goes up!! loss of no claim bonus.

Just move companies.

You make claim of coarse the price goes up!! loss of no claim bonus.

Just move companies.

Fully aware of this but it was not a loss of a No claim bonus, never had any as this was my first year. The no claim bonus does not kick in until the second year, providing no claim is made. It's just a cost increase owing to making a claim, all insurers do this. That is why the dealer changed insurers.

Edited by Si Thea01

read the fine print

the insurance co only insures 80% of the value of the car

then each year the value seems to drop 50K

no claim bonus stops after 5 years i think

however the price of insurance goes up and the value of the car goes down each year

the 10% no claim is just to make people think they are getting rewarded for not have an accident

read the fine print

the insurance co only insures 80% of the value of the car

then each year the value seems to drop 50K

no claim bonus stops after 5 years i think

however the price of insurance goes up and the value of the car goes down each year

the 10% no claim is just to make people think they are getting rewarded for not have an accident

You clearly have a crap policy, mine does none of these things.

well prey tell us all what your policy

Be kind to animals and dispose of rubbish in a responsible manner.

no

thats a tip

not a policy

A policy is a deliberate system of principles to guide decisions and achieve rational outcomes. A policy is a statement of intent, and is implemented as a procedure or protocol.

When I bought my new Honda 2 years ago, the dealer arranged insurance through Honda, however, this year, they arranged it through Krung Thai Bank at a much cheaper rate and even then I was able to negotiate and it was reduced a further B2,000. Since I've had the vehicle the dealer has arranged the insurance and even registration and 3rd party cover. I do not have to do anything. The dealer rings me prior to expiry, I turn up and pay, then when the documents arrive I turn up, they take off the old stickers and fit the new. It is a great service and wouldn't do it any other way.

Same here, my dealer was able to get me a cheaper rate. When I had a cracked windshield, my dealer did all the claims and write ups for me and had the insurance folks come to the dealer to sort it all out, all I had to do was bring my car to the dealer and tell the service tech what was wrong/accident. They took care of the rest.

When I bought my new Honda 2 years ago, the dealer arranged insurance through Honda, however, this year, they arranged it through Krung Thai Bank at a much cheaper rate and even then I was able to negotiate and it was reduced a further B2,000. Since I've had the vehicle the dealer has arranged the insurance and even registration and 3rd party cover. I do not have to do anything. The dealer rings me prior to expiry, I turn up and pay, then when the documents arrive I turn up, they take off the old stickers and fit the new. It is a great service and wouldn't do it any other way.

AA brokers do all that as well. They advise me when the insurance needs renewing and arrange for road tax and third party as well.

AA brokers do all that as well. They advise me when the insurance needs renewing and arrange for road tax and third party as well.

That's really great, at least it looks like we have a choice but for me the dealer I go to has looked after me from day one, servicing, repairs and has never let me down so this is where I place my loyalty, as it appears you do with AA.

Same here, my dealer was able to get me a cheaper rate. When I had a cracked windshield, my dealer did all the claims and write ups for me and had the insurance folks come to the dealer to sort it all out, all I had to do was bring my car to the dealer and tell the service tech what was wrong/accident. They took care of the rest.

It's good to hear some good news instead of the usual bashing that seems to drive this site. Had a shunt in the rear a few days back, went to the dealer, paperwork completed and repairs to be carried out tomorrow. They checked the vehicle over today and pointed out some stone chips and told me that they were touch them up as well, all inclusive.

The best part of the deal, is that when I go there tomorrow, three to four hours, they provide a free lunch, it's really great, sit with the staff, they get to know you and they are so respectful. After lunch they have a waiting room, free drinks, non alcoholic, Wi-Fi and TV, fully air conditioned and lounges for those who need to rest, in an area that is curtained off to provide privacy. They really know about customer relations. I wouldn't go anywhere else and swear by them.

Oh, and the cost of servicing, ranges between B 2100 and B3300, depending on the service required and there is none of the BS upselling that I have heard other dealers try on. And if required, they clean the vehicle inside and out ,also at no extra cost. No broker can offer such an all round service.

It's good to hear some good news instead of the usual bashing that seems to drive this site. Had a shunt in the rear a few days back, went to the dealer, paperwork completed and repairs to be carried out tomorrow. They checked the vehicle over today and pointed out some stone chips and told me that they were touch them up as well, all inclusive.

The best part of the deal, is that when I go there tomorrow, three to four hours, they provide a free lunch, it's really great, sit with the staff, they get to know you and they are so respectful. After lunch they have a waiting room, free drinks, non alcoholic, Wi-Fi and TV, fully air conditioned and lounges for those who need to rest, in an area that is curtained off to provide privacy. They really know about customer relations. I wouldn't go anywhere else and swear by them.

Oh, and the cost of servicing, ranges between B 2100 and B3300, depending on the service required and there is none of the BS upselling that I have heard other dealers try on. And if required, they clean the vehicle inside and out ,also at no extra cost. No broker can offer such an all round service.

That's at a Honda dealership, right?

Yes.

well prey tell us all what your policy

Be kind to animals and dispose of rubbish in a responsible manner.

no

thats a tip

not a policy

A policy is a deliberate system of principles to guide decisions and achieve rational outcomes. A policy is a statement of intent, and is implemented as a procedure or protocol.

Mine was at Europa BMW dealer, but I've also had claims at Honda in the past and all went well. I believe most dealers work this way as they want you to get your car fix there so they can get the money from the insurance company, hence the good service. I know some insurance company require you to fix it at certain places only.

mike324

Quote>Mine was at Europa BMW dealer, but I've also had claims at Honda in the past and all went well. I believe most dealers work this way as they want you to get your car fix there so they can get the money from the insurance company, hence the good service. I know some insurance company require you to fix it at certain places only.<End quote.

Agreed and you would expect this from such a dealership. My last two cars before leaving OZ was a BMW, then a Mercedes, with both dealerships providing similar services and a loan car if need, the latter at no charge. The other new vehicles that I owned I found that the staff at the dealerships were lacking in customer service, however, the staff at this dealership just seem to go out of their way to please, even when I'm not getting a repair or service done. Haven't had the experience where an insurer wants to tell me where I must have repairs done, but If they did they would get the flick pretty quick.

Took the car in today for repairs, told 3 to 4 hours, was given a free lunch with the staff, only customer to be given this, then back to the waiting room, had a kip, 3 hours all up, vehicle finished, all stone chips touched up as well, and an inside and out cleaned. I know this is my only dealership experience in Thailand but it is really good, so much so I gave the service guy a B500 tip for his troubles. A great service all round so no need for a broker.