Canadian expat attacked by knife wielding maniac in Bangkok

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kind of attack could occur in any country. The attacker was a destitute Thai male, probably mentally ill, perhaps intoxicated, intent on harming a farang.

The police are disinterested because they cannot squeeze him for money. Without some kind of compensation, the police have to come up with another way to resolve this without loss of face for anyone. So, they come up with obstacles and excuses why they can't run this matter through a regular criminal prosecution.

I hope Blake is able to see it through. I know Blake. He's a good guy, been in Thailand awhile, and didn't deserve to be frightened in this manner. I feel more sorry for his mom who moved to Thailand to join him, only to witness her son's life being threatened.

Could occur in any country? Yes hypothetically it could. But where In the world do you hear about stories like this? Only in LOS do you hear of these kind of stories and reactions to what happened. Maybe LOS should be changed to <deleted> instead...much more fitting acronym...

read any newspaper from the UK it's full of such stories, rape and stabbings seem to be a daily occurrence in London, the only difference is that in the UK the perpetrators get caught.

Mental illness one of the "Top XXXcuses" in the land of smiles for criminal behavior...

.... no wonder there aren't enough mental illness clinics in this country, or other wise those few pseudo clinics would be bursting into pieces in a second...

• 2 weeks later...

The cops here don't shoot 2 or 3 people every day of the year because of the colour of their skin though, do they? And I'd far rather take my chances in Bangkok of an evening than most cities in England with their drunken brawls or in America where if the guy sitting next to you at the bar thinks you're 'dissing' him, she shoots you.

Sadly this kind of carry on is within a lot of Thai males. Yes it happens everywhere (insert sigh emoticon) but there are few places where a spoiled, xenophobic male contingent harbours so much anger that can and does seemingly attack at will with impunity.