Russia seeks 80,000 tonnes of Thai rubber in barter deal

Lite Beer

Russia seeks 80,000 tonnes of Thai rubber in barter deal
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- THAILAND and Russia are considering a barter trade deal, with Russia seeking 80,000 tonnes of rubber while Thailand wants weapons and other goods in return, Deputy Premier and Foreign Minister Tanasak Patimapragorn said yesterday.

He spoke to the media yesterday after the conclusion of his official visit to Russia. He was in the country for most of last week to attend the sixth meeting of the Thailand-Russia Joint Commission on Bilateral Relations.

Tanasak said the two countries agreed to organise a grand celebration in 2017 to mark the 120th anniversary of bilateral and diplomatic relations.

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan and Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul will soon pay an official visit to Russia to strengthen relations.

Tanasak said the Russian industry minister had invited Thailand to become a member of the Eurasian Economic Union and the Kingdom was considering the offer.

He said being part of the EEU could help increase the number of market channels for Thai products.

Russia would seek to buy about 80,000 tonnes of Thai rubber in September of October, he said. Russia needed rubber annually to produce car tyres, while Thailand wanted to buy weapons and other goods from Russia.

"Russian weapons are suitable for Thailand in terms of maintenance. But we don't only want weapons but also other Russian goods,'' he said.

After the success of the meeting, the two countries have decided to hold an annual joint commission meeting instead of one every two years. Thailand will host the seventh and eighth meetings.

Tanasak also met with St Petersburg Governor Georgy Poltavchenko. After the meeting, Tanasak said he invited the governor to visit Thailand as his guest. Poltavchenko said yes because of the countries' long history of diplomatic relations, he said.

The celebration to mark the 120th anniversary of bilateral and diplomatic relations will be held in Moscow and in St Petersburg.

Tanasak invited Russian businessmen to invest in several Thai sectors such as energy, alternative energy, jewellery and transport

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Russia-seeks-80000-tonnes-of-Thai-rubber-in-barter-30264733.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-19

Brilliant. Buy com-block weapons to mix with NATO weapons you have and not only will you have ammunition confusion but also operation and maintenance confusion. This is why NATO and the Com-block have their own standardized weapons across all allied nations. What are you going to get? Crappy Kalashnikov (AK) rifles to mix with your NATO rifles?

Brilliant. Buy com-block weapons to mix with NATO weapons you have and not only will you have ammunition confusion but also operation and maintenance confusion. This is why NATO and the Com-block have their own standardized weapons across all allied nations. What are you going to get? Crappy Kalashnikov (AK) rifles to mix with your NATO rifles?

That was my first thought, but then it occurred to me that since the Navy wants subs, the Army will want bigger toys too, so it's probably something like rockets or tanks.

The other thing that occurred to me is that when a country is planning a war, they start to stock up on things like rubber for the military vehicles. Crimea, anyone?

What "otherods"?

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything except vodka. blink.png

I'm thinking that the Russians have just learnt about the use of Condoms and are trying to do a take over of Durex, Putin will love it at a fancy dress and come dressed only with a condom on his nose.....<deleted> nose what I'm on about....

The foreign exchange component is important as Seastallion says, Thailand needs money not weapons , they also need better water management and new dams , better fishing regulations , better DCA management , better human rights record , better labour laws , better infrastructure , better education system , better wildlife and environment rules , better building and construction laws , the picture is clear I would have thought, what they don't need is weapons. coffee1.gif

The foreign exchange component is important as Seastallion says, Thailand needs money not weapons , they also need better water management and new dams , better fishing regulations , better DCA management , better human rights record , better labour laws , better infrastructure , better education system , better wildlife and environment rules , better building and construction laws , the picture is clear I would have thought, what they don't need is weapons. coffee1.gif

They need weapons to protect themselves from people demanding the better things you mention. Otherwise democracy could be in jeopardy.

So which of those needs can be obtained from Russia? Weapons is the initial offer because Russia has plenty (quantity if not quality). They also have gas, coal, oil, steel, fertilizers and so on right down to more esoteric items like diamonds and nuclear power technology.

I mentioned gas first because Russia's exports of the commodity have been falling rapidly.

Kalashnikov rifles might be of variable quality depending in which country they were produced. But, they are a highly effective robust assault rifle as your countrymen discovered in VN.

And whose rifle do you class as NATO?

For a simple maintenance, highly reliable, relatively easy to use in any conditions, extreme climate etc the Kalashnikov compares better than most. No need to knock them. Accept US ain't always the best.

The wisdom of having different caliber weapons with different ammunition is a different argument.

What "other goods"?

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything except vodka. blink.png

Maybe Russia will let them use the Siberian Gulags for some AA ... whistling.gif

Thailand def don't weapons - if its small arms the weapons are eventually gonna end on the streets and there is already plenty of illegal guns here ... facepalm.gif

Even something as positive as this you get the Thai knockers. I am new to this replying to this forum but for months I have been reading it and am amazed at how few respond in a positive way.

Kinda makes you appreciate the reasonable ones, doesn't it?

That was my first thought, but then it occurred to me that since the Navy wants subs, the Army will want bigger toys too, so it's probably something like rockets or tanks.

The other thing that occurred to me is that when a country is planning a war, they start to stock up on things like rubber for the military vehicles. Crimea, anyone?

It's more likely the Thai Air force is looking for its spoils of insurrgency. The Thai Army got the entire national Treasury to buy whatever it wants.

How do you barter with Russia for fishing regulations,and building laws? and I am sure no mater how much rubber we gave them, the Russians would not part with their beloved human rights record.

They need better everything, the last things they need is weapons, unless they are planning on upgrading their student weapons, remember, they will be the children of the future

It's more likely the Thai Air force is looking for its spoils of insurrgency. The Thai Army got the entire national Treasury to buy whatever it wants.

Oh goody, something to talk about for the next month ! Perhaps in September we can cover the Air Force acquiring Grippen jets !

Why do you believe Kalashnikov (AK) rifles are so crappy?