How do you work those siphon water pumps?

giddyup

I bought two of these things but neither myself or my Thai partner can get either one to work successfully. We've been using the red type for years but she always just keeps pumping the bulb, I would have thought once you get a suction going the water should flow without continually pumping. The red one has a little knob on top the says Open and Close, the blue one has that big white button that says Push. There must be a trick to using them that I can't fathom.

post-130068-0-17170700-1437272807_thumb.

The secret is that the level in the outgoing container must always be lower than the source, just like any syphon.

1. Close the vent.
  2. Make sure the discharge end is lower than the source.
  3. Pump the bulb until fluid is flowing.
  4. Stop pumping, flow should continue.
  5. Open the vent to stop flow.

Close the vent.

Make sure the discharge end is lower than the source.

Pump the bulb until fluid is flowing.

Stop pumping, flow should continue.

Open the vent to stop flow.

Tried both like you say, but water doesn't continue to flow, so either both faulty or I'm not using correctly. I think I'll buy a tilt stand, might be simpler.

Do as Crossy says and it should work, assuming their are no cracks or splits in the bulb.

It's critical that the end of the inlet pipe is at a higher level than the end of the outlet pipe - that's the whole point of a syphon. Water don't flow uphill, even in Thailand biggrin.png

As I noted in my edit - The secret is that the level in the outgoing container must always be lower than the source, just like any syphon.

I assume he's doing it on a bench and just dropping the ends into the two containers. Bothe ends probably hit the bottom of the container so they'll be level and it won't work.

OP - just hold the inlet pipe a little higher in the bottle and it will work OK.

As I noted in my edit - The secret is that the level in the outgoing container must always be lower than the source, just like any syphon.

I assume he's doing it on a bench and just dropping the ends into the two containers. Bothe ends probably hit the bottom of the container so they'll be level and it won't work.

OP - just hold the inlet pipe a little higher in the bottle and it will work OK.

The problem on both pumps is that the inlet and outlet tubes are the same lengths. Yes, you can raise the inlet so it's higher than the outlet, but only when the water bottle is full or more than half full.

If the water levels are correct (top of source higher than the top of the receiving water), then most likely there is a pinhole air leak.

In two brand new pumps? I suppose anything is possible.

If the water levels are correct (top of source higher than the top of the receiving water), then most likely there is a pinhole air leak.

In two brand new pumps? I suppose anything is possible.

I have been using the ones with the red top and the flexible tube is only about 4/6" longer then the rigid pipe - so makes it difficult to do as Crossy says without a lot of faffing. I find that decanting a 19L or whatever container into bottles I usually only manage to get 1//2 out of 13 or so where it flows without any continual effort - mind you I had not realised you were supposed to open and close the top bit facepalm.gif

By the way I have bought in the past and found new ones with a leak so possible. Just bought a replacement yesterday at the shop behind BIG C Second road/Hollywood for 23 baht as the current one split.

I did have an electric one (battery) I bought in China which was great but that just gave up the ghost after about 8 months and I have not been able to find anything similar here.

get a 1/2 inch water hose cut to length so higher end is a lowest level of the higher container ( your source of fluid.) next step have wife /gf, lie down on floor, flat on back, face up ,cut the hosein fluid source at the same level as her (wifes) ear lob. insert longest piece of hose into her mouth with instructions to SUCK, until she feels a fluid entry into her mouth, remove hose slowly and you both might gain some insight into what some call a delightful experience

get a 1/2 inch water hose cut to length so higher end is a lowest level of the higher container ( your source of fluid.) next step have wife /gf, lie down on floor, flat on back, face up ,cut the hosein fluid source at the same level as her (wifes) ear lob. insert longest piece of hose into her mouth with instructions to SUCK, until she feels a fluid entry into her mouth, remove hose slowly and you both might gain some insight into what some call a delightful experience

She can suck a golf ball through a garden hose, so might work.

wonderful !!