Decisions, decisions.. Golf GTi or Golf R

Pdaz

New mk 7 Golf GTi with sportpack (230hp, trick front diff, bigger brakes and adjustable ride ) or mk 7 Golf R, part time 4WD, 300hp and a few body mods..

I can't really seperate them..

Like the GTi cos of elec/mech diff and "tartan" trim like original mk1. Can re-map to almost 300hp.

Or

Golf R, no trick diff just haldex 4wd (same system as audi tt quattro) but also uses front brakes to tighten the steering line in tight corners. Alcantara interior and quad exhausts. Can be remapped to 380hp easily.

Only 400k baht price difference. Both available as two door man or dsg..

Anyone had either of these and have any input ?

(Yes I know they r cheaper in the US/UK etc etc)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Golf R is pretty much my dream ride but for just under 4M I couldn't really justify even that. Personally think the differences over the GTI make a much better car. It also looks understated, no red trim detail which I hate

Out of interest how much is a gen 7 GTI here

They can be found for 3.4 mil. Funny enough manual and two door is more expensive than auto/4 door.. Exactly the opposite of Europe. For that price it has all the options. GTi is around 2.8 mil, again with all the option boxes ticked.

Was hoping I could get the price down a few 100k by ordering a more "bare bones" R or a a GTi with only the sport pack.

In a Thai terms the GTi ain't bad when compared with BRZ for 2 mil. Or A45 AMG for 6 mil !

If you care about service, warranty and second hand prices, WV / Audi wouldn't be my first choice in Thailand. I would opt for Mercedes or BMW instead.

BMW - 5 years warranty, 5 years service. All BMW's can be tuned now as well.

For example a 328i M sport - Base price 3,099,00. 218 HP (de-tuned for Thai tax purposes).
Tune it in Bangkok to 295 HP (ECU Tuning), or opt for a Stage 2 for even further gains.

I have a GTI MK6 for the last 4 years bought from VW Ram Intra, nowadays all they sell is the Caravelle, where do you know has the MK7 GTI and R? I've seen the R advertised online for just under 4 million which is crazy, but never seen the GTI anywhere. I would be interested to know who is dealing either car for the prices mentioned.

Mercedes A250 AMG's are under 2M for a nearly new car

Mercedes Thailand shows list at 2,590,000 Baht for the A250 AMG sport. The A180 Urban just under 2M. The A180 AMG sport at 2,190,000 B

Price list pdf

And its not really an AMG - its just AMG trim....

.....much like the M-Sport on BMW's is using the M name, but for these models its just M-Sport Trim...

Mercedes Thailand shows list at 2,590,000 Baht for the A250 AMG sport. The A180 Urban just under 2M. The A180 AMG sport at 2,190,000 B

Price list pdf

.....much like the M-Sport on BMW's is using the M name, but for these models its just M-Sport Trim...

The suspension set up is different on the AMG models. Plus you get the better engine which is only comes AMG spec

The prices above are from grey market importers. VW's official dealers don't the Mk7 in stock yet. Like you said just a few caravelles and the odd pre minor chance Scirocco.

I'm a big BMW fan but they just don't sell the models I like here. For me BMW is all the about in-line 6 cylinder or V8's.

I'd like an M3 but even 10yo are a crazy price. Either the one or two series with the 6 cyl NA or turbo motor would be great but not available here.. Just the base models with the 1.6 or 2.0 motor :(

The "M Sport" idea annoys me.. It's just marketing and some stickers.. Where is the added performance ?

Yes re-mapping is an option but without the lowered ride height and other suspension /brake mods it's still not the full package.

I've looked at the A250 AMG and like it. But 211 HP and a fairly heavy body compared to the Golf. At 2.6 it's pretty close on price to grey market GTi and as mentioned better residual values too.

Hmmmm... Like I said decisions, decisions.. For this sort of cash in the UK I'd be deciding between an M4, M235i, Cayman, A45 or possibly a used 911 or GTR

The A250 AMG is a very different car from an A45 AMG.

Yes. My point is the price difference is ridiculous. Look what you could buy for 6M, its almost G Wagon territory (not comparing the cars, just the price)

Someone who likes fast cars and isn't keen on Mercedes "pipe and slippers" image. Or the fact that none of their interesting models are available here for a reasonable price.

Price list pdf

380hp on the 250 AMG. That's a lot of Bang for your buck by Thai standards.

The prices above are from grey market importers. VW's official dealers don't the Mk7 in stock yet. Like you said just a few caravelles and the odd pre minor chance Scirocco.

I'm a big BMW fan but they just don't sell the models I like here. For me BMW is all the about in-line 6 cylinder or V8's.

I'd like an M3 but even 10yo are a crazy price. Either the one or two series with the 6 cyl NA or turbo motor would be great but not available here.. Just the base models with the 1.6 or 2.0 motor sad.png

The "M Sport" idea annoys me.. It's just marketing and some stickers.. Where is the added performance ?

Yes re-mapping is an option but without the lowered ride height and other suspension /brake mods it's still not the full package.

I've looked at the A250 AMG and like it. But 211 HP and a fairly heavy body compared to the Golf. At 2.6 it's pretty close on price to grey market GTi and as mentioned better residual values too.

Hmmmm... Like I said decisions, decisions.. For this sort of cash in the UK I'd be deciding between an M4, M235i, Cayman, A45 or possibly a used 911 or GTR

I am kinda in to the BMW scene here, and there is a lot of modding going on. Changing to M-brakes is not a big deal. People are bringing cheap parts in from Japan. You can basically retrofit almost everything these days. I bought a 116i, and added foldable mirrors, cruise control, navigation, paddle shifts. Some other guys I know already changed intercooler, breaks, exhaust and more. With more than 200hp, this is fun car to drive.

Myself opted for a good value 2nd hand M3. V8 420hp before mods. And its not grey market! So there are options, just have to see beyond the offers in BMW's price list smile.png

I often look at car prices in the UK with envy. Cars are cheap over there!

A golf more expensive than a benz, who is stupid enough to buy this ?

I'd definitely buy a gen 7 Golf GTi over an A250 AMG, if the price was the same. Better everything and less ostentatious image i.e. you dont look like a hiso <deleted>

I used to like Golf and Vw when I was a poor student, but I was thinking that we were supposed to improve...

Golf used to look good until gen 4 then they totally fuxxed up and a Suzuki swift looks better than the gen 7 golf which is the ugliest that they ever dare to sell !

Cannot compare with the look and feel of any benz even the cheapest for the poor that people are talking about here.

So as soon as we have an opinion different from the crowd we are a troll :-)

Some people tell that Benz are taxi in Europe, but it's even worst with VW, they are not even taxi !!! Buy a Peugeot if you really like metallic pieces of shiiite ?

So ridiculous to spend 2+ MB on this shiiiite. Even better t buy a BMW :-)

In the case of your response the answer is yes, the Op is asking about which car he should consider, not your negative criticism of his choices, which just for the record, show no informed info whatsoever, merely opinionated nonsense that has no real basis in fact..

Archived