Taking motorbike from Thailand to Laos

4 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

He left the bike in a covered parking facility. I cannot confirm 100% as I wasn't there but understand Thai immigration informed him that he wouldn't be allowed over the bridge by Laos Border police. The option of a truck was mentioned but refused that as he thought it was a silly price.(1000b?????)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's well known there is no way over to ride over the bridge, if you ride from Mukdahan  to Nong Khai, then from Vientianne back down to Savannakhet that's going to be an additional 700km .. Including a possible overnight somewhere. 1000B sounds a lot but in reality you are paying for the privilege of an expensive shortcut.

Even without the bike the guy asks silly prices to take you over and on to a hotel.

It all depends if you are to worried about taking a ride around Laos really. At least there is an option of a safe parking facility.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a 600+km arse numbing ride to Tha Li (2up on a Lifan GY200) where we were told that they are not allowing any Thai bikes to cross. In fact according to the border officials, the Laos government is not allowing any bikes of any cc in at present, due to some row with China?

My plan now is to catch a bumpy bus from Khon Kaen to Luang Prabang, hire a bike there and head north.

Following our tours of Vietnam and Laos last year, touring south east Asia is turning into a big disappointment, so I think I will switch my efforts to Europe instead. I bought the Lifan 200 thinking it would be a good simple little bike to tour on, handling the bumpy roads and mud with ease. But the police here are now talking about a 250cc capacity minimum, if or when it opens. 

46 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Just got back from a 600+km arse numbing ride to Tha Li (2up on a Lifan GY200) where we were told that they are not allowing any Thai bikes to cross. In fact according to the border officials, the Laos government is not allowing any bikes of any cc in at present, due to some row with China?

My plan now is to catch a bumpy bus from Khon Kaen to Luang Prabang, hire a bike there and head north.

Following our tours of Vietnam and Laos last year, touring south east Asia is turning into a big disappointment, so I think I will switch my efforts to Europe instead. I bought the Lifan 200 thinking it would be a good simple little bike to tour on, handling the bumpy roads and mud with ease. But the police here are now talking about a 250cc capacity minimum, if or when it opens. 

Thats interesting - someone else mentioned to me in the week that this crossing is where the overlanders on 90-125cc scooters go across to Laos, so it's a bit of a shock that you got knocked back.

Im leaving the south on Monday and will head back to Chong Mek>Vieng Thao border, I believe everything is still OK. I will post on Wednesday/Thursday if so :S

3 hours ago, AllanB said:

In fact according to the border officials, the Laos government is not allowing any bikes of any cc in at present, due to some row with China?

You won't believe this,  a friend crossed over at Nan, no problem Thai side, refused on Laos side. He tried bribing, everything, no go. 

He was on a BICYCLE!!!!!

Same excuses about china I think, he had to ride back to thailand, use his second entry etc etc…..

sure is a confusing time. 

This is a very surprising turn of events.

Tha Li in Loei and the Nan crossing (Huay something, I can't remember) were very straightforward for bikes in both directions.

I wonder if there is anything posted on the Thai biker forums. There has to be.

Nothing to do with the ASEAN summit, is it?

This is not just Tha Li, it is all crossings from Thailand into Laos, so I am told. There was some problem with China, where stolen bikes were being trafficked. It doesn't include trucks and cars, just two wheelers.

This may be a long term situation, so my visa run will be a bus from Khon Kaen to Lamp Prabang and then hire.  

Edited by AllanB

On September 12, 2016 at 1:08 PM, Briggsy said:

Well, that's 2 posts from 2 locations both suggesting Laos is not allowing bikes in.

I will hang on for further updates.

Just to let you know ..

I just successfully crossed from Chong Mek today ..

It was "smoother" than normally.

I spent some time pre-printing and preparing documentation ( and still managed to be miss 2 documents that were never needed before, I think )

I have a blog, but i don't want to post here - but if anyone wants the new Laos visa form which can be a chore to complete at the border then PM me and I can send you the link.

Just to let you know ..

I just successfully crossed from Chong Mek today ..

It was "smoother" than normally.

I spent some time pre-printing and preparing documentation ( and still managed to be miss 2 documents that were never needed before, I think )

I have a blog, but i don't want to post here - but if anyone wants the new Laos visa form which can be a chore to complete at the border then PM me and I can send you the link.

As this thread is about taking a motorbike into Laos, can we safely assume you did this????

14 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

As this thread is about taking a motorbike into Laos, can we safely assume you did this????

Yeah, lol .. As its a bike forum I thought it was safe to presume that I didn't need to mention I was on a bike (Versys 650)

33 minutes ago, revgreen said:

Is there any secure pay-to-park in Nong Khai or Mukdahan?

Not to my knowledge in Nong Khai.

Certainly not at the Mukdahan bridge as it is a few kms north of the town.

I assume you are on about a bike since this is the bike forum.

Usually every bus station has secure parking for peanuts - a few baht a day. However, if you have a very nice or bigger bike I advise buying 2 spots and covering it. You could park it at Mukdahan bus station and then get the cross-border bus over.

On 16/09/2016 at 8:41 PM, Briggsy said:

One of the Thai websites is reporting this is specific to Nan after Laos border officials read a critical Thai facebook post. I have no idea if there is any truth in this. Diplomacy by facebook. Sounds about right.

Well we looked at crossing in Loei province, not Nan, but anyway good news someone is getting through, will enquire closer to the date to see if we can cross.

I really fancy taking the dirt bike (rather than hire), it has loosened up now and runs well, if a little agricultural. We have sorted the luggage side and this bike is sold in Laos too if we need parts.

Unfortunately they were saying over 250cc and our bike is 200.........

Keep the info coming...........

The Vientiane Times of today reports that the border crossings in Xayaboury Province do not allow motorbikes and bicycles to cross into and out of Laos. It concerns the Huay Khon to Mueang Ngeun crossing, the Phu Duu to Pakeo (Uttaradit to Paklay) and the Nakraseng (Tha Li - Loei) to Nam Heung (Kenthao) crossing.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay a bit of an update.

Crossed from Tha Li ( Loie province) in my truck and the rule there is no bikes at all may cross, two Harley guys turned up to cross and both were sent away.

On the way back we returned via Nong Kai and on the Laos still were told my 200 would be okay and I got the feeling 150cc would be okay too. However, when we got into Thailand they said the limit was 250cc. When we questioned them further the 250cc limit was a trouble free limit. We would be allowed to leave Thailand with a lower cc but there may be some "complications" on the Laos side.

When we were driving towards the Chinese bother we met two Malaysian lads on 110cc bikes (one on a Thai registered bike), they said they got into Laos with a couple of bob changing hands on the Loas side. They were heading for Tibet and were quite optimistic.

My plan is to take the Lifan 200 over in the next few months, as usual with MrsB.

On September 18, 2559 BE at 5:09 PM, revgreen said:

Is there any secure pay-to-park in Nong Khai or Mukdahan?

papa has used the lot on the right (East) just before NK crossing...

behind 7-11.

Edited by papa al

Yes, there is a hotel within a few hundred metres, they charge a little money for a secure car park. "Park and ride" is what I plan next time.

Be aware that the road north out of Vientiane is a pig, busy, bumpy and full of potholes, so your Cross-dresser would be ideal. Oh and watch out for the fuzz the fines are no joke and they will chase you if you don't stop.