Phuket VS Hua Hin

trisod

Tris - I think you have to visit these places for yourself, the differences will be rather obvious… though Phuket has places that are quieter and not, it really all depends upon what you are looking for in a lifestyle… put that info out there and you will get better responses...

You're asking for comparisons between a town (Hua Hin) and a Province (Phuket). Not a reasonable comparison.

Phuket Province is divided into three districts, which are further subdivided into 17 sub-districts, and 103 villages.

Perhaps you could consider asking which part of the Province you wish to make a comparison with? People in Phuket have a varied choice of lifestyle which includes country living, beach life, Capital city, party town, mountain side, other islands or farang friendly village.

The big advantage is that everything, such as shopping, international hospitals, international airport, etc, is relatively close at hand.

ok i dont live there, but i went to Hua Hin 2 weeks ago, i thought it was a dam boring place, i arrived on the friday, was back in bangkok on the tuesday, the only thing i thought was good was the street market, but i suppose we get them everywhere. like a one horse town IMO.nightlife ? everything shuts at 1 am also.

If you want to live in a crime and drug infested death trap move to Puket. I've lived both places. Hua Hin is much nicer and alot safer. Even the beach in Puket is so deadly you can't enjoy it...Very crooked Muslim cops in Puket also...just sayin..

I'm pretty skeptical of someone that says they've lived somewhere and can't even spell it right.

As was said ..all depends on what you are looking for ...Yes Hua Hin is far quieter than Phuket ..but that is why most like it ..It has less crime ..there are the international hospitals ..hotels and restaurants ..good schools ..shopping that meets the needs of most nationalities and a far more discreet nightlife ..more retirees and families here ....if you need the seedy lifestyle then please stay in Phuket or Pattaya ..I think most of the falang residents would prefer it that way ..let Hua Hin develop slowly and over time.

You can't compare a town to a province. Hit the Internet and narrow down your Phuket towns them come back here. Anyone who did compare Hua Hin to Phuket already could not have done so accurately. Hua Hin is a bore though. If you intend on spending any time at a decent beach you have to go farther south. As far as Hua Hin shutting down at 1 am though the truth is there are after hours bars that are open all night.

Thanks for replying.

I should of course have said Phuket province vs Prachuap Khiri Khan province but actually would like to settle no more than 5km from the center at each place, i.e.center of Phuket or Hua Hin.

As some maybe have observed I have alsoposted in Hua Hin forum. I'm an early retire but still active and been into Triathlon for years. At my age I like the training, but hardly race any more....due to injuries and a body which need days of recovery, except for a fun Tri twice a year and some fun runs.

What I like...quiet is good, but access to a good Internet connection, shopping not more than a short motorbike drive away and the typical small reasonable Thai restaurants nearby will be a plus. A good fitness nearby,decent 25m swimming pool,possibility to do a bike ride either in a group or alone without zigzagging between dogs and vehicles would also weight the scale in my direction.

Btw,how are traffic,climate and costs in Phuket vs Hua Hin

Thank you.

Trisod

I wouldn't visit any part of Phuket for any reason ever again. Maybe god sent the tsunami there for a reason. I've been living in Bangkok for 19 years and find Hua Hin to be a pleasant getaway with some very nice seafood restaurants and an ample population of Scandanavians.

I visited Thailand around 40 times on both business and for holidays with my wife and we spent time in Bangkok, Phuket (only Patong), Pattaya and Hua Hin. When it came time to move here to stay there was only one choice for us - Hua Hin.

I have to admit that was only 8 months ago but we love it.

Hello,

anyway, opinions will differ.

Some will find Hua Hin great, others say it's Phuket or Pattaya,

the better it is to his own opinion: 6 months in each city.

You should not expect others that we take you by the hand.

Must assume. coffee1.gif

Hello,
anyway, opinions will differ.
Some will find Hua Hin great, others say it's Phuket or Pattaya,
the better it is to his own opinion: 6 months in each city.
You should not expect others that we take you by the hand.
Must assume. coffee1.gif

If I had to choose then it would be Hua Hin without a doubt...Can't see it becoming like Fhukit {intended} or Pattaya, Bangkok aint far away if you need to have a different scene or a good hospital etc and not forgetting the King has been a resident of Hua Hin for many years so I can't see it being a sh*it hole for many years to come, the first time I visited Hua Hin i commented that it was the cleanest litter free place in Thailand I'd been to....

MB1, I would like to find out more information on the good things in Hua hin, we are thinking of renting long term there next year. we have been there many times and like that it is a quiet town without a lot of tourist. Thanks, Patrick

MB1, I would like to find out more information on the good things in Hua hin, we are thinking of renting long term there next year. we have been there many times and like that it is a quiet town without a lot of tourist. Thanks, Patrick

Have another trip to Hua Hin and have a night or more at the Courtyard By Marriott Hua Hin At Cha Am Beach, when going into the centre of Hua Hin you'll see the Kings residence on your left, get into the centre and have a wander around and maybe a meal over looking the sea...IMHO Hua Hin has not got a lot going for it it the way of entertainment or places to visit but it's clean and peaceful and not like Pattaya or Phuket or Bangkok in anyway at all, though if you fancy a bit of lady tme it's available there..

I like the quiet life so Hua Hin would be my choice..HTH...

I wouldn't visit any part of Phuket for any reason ever again. Maybe god sent the tsunami there for a reason. I've been living in Bangkok for 19 years and find Hua Hin to be a pleasant getaway with some very nice seafood restaurants and an ample population of Scandanavians.

God didn't sent the Tsunami, it was a natural event of what the earth can sometimes do to the world....

I wouldn't visit any part of Phuket for any reason ever again. Maybe god sent the tsunami there for a reason.

Thousands of good people died in the tsunami in many parts of Thailand. Was your god punishing all of them?

Religious sickos like you help reinforce my views on the existence of spirits.

To the OP.

Hua Hin is a nice quiet area of Thailand with access to many of the amenities needed for a good life in retirement. Many people are very happy there.

Phuket is an island with access to the open ocean on one side and the magical Phang Nah Bay and associated islands on the other. It can provide virtually any lifestyle you wish to have.

Where I live in the foothills I have views of farmland and jungle clad hills. I awake to the sounds of roosters, water buffalo and occasionally elephants. (Yes, like everywhere in Thailand there are motorbikes!)

I haven't had a reason to visit Patong for a couple of years, even though it is probably about 6 miles away as the crow flies. It has it's place in this holiday island and many people wouldn't live anywhere else.

I'm 10 minutes from shopping centres like Tescos, Villa, Makro, Homepro, Etc.. Several International hospitals are within a 20-30 minute drive.

As Phuket is many time bigger and busier than Hua Hin it probably has more of just about everything, including crime. However, having made comparisons, I consider there to be less major crime here than in my home city of Perth.

Traffic on the main roads is bad, but improving. I avoid these roads in peak times.

Many feeble minded posters immediately jump on topics like this to exhibit their dislike of the place. Most of them have either never visited Phuket or only ever visited the party town of Patong. Their hate filled posts really only demonstrate their own shortcomings. Don't give these types validation.

As others have said, spend time in both centres, decide what most suits your lifestyle, and don't put down permanent roots until you're sure.

For what it’s worth! If someone asked me 10-15 years ago I had said go for Phuket! Good place to live in Thailand and best place to train and race for Triathlon and many other outdoors activities in South East Asia. Nowadays and somewhat ironic is that it’s more cycling than ever, an annual International Marathon, we have a Triathlon Academy and a much wider part of the local population are aware of the benefits of an active lifestyle, but but the conditions are worse for training, be it cycling or running except for organized training like at Phuket International Academy. Don’t get me wrong, lots of people ride and run but to say its better conditions would be similar to say the world change and not that people change the world and not all change is for the good. However, North and North East on the island are still acceptable for a ride on Saturday / Sundays but get in your ride before 1000am.

Living, well when I come here Phuket was still a relatively quiet Island except from Patong which have been the famous “let the hair out” place on Phuket, plus a bit more than that since the late 70`s. IMO Phuket today, and its local people have ended up in true copy of the Western rat race so many of us run away from, which again have had an impact on their (locals) friendliness towards foreigners. Top up that with a new demography of tourist and yes you have todays Phuket, i.e. the moral and politeness is shifted with a race for more. Expensive, not food and accommodation, and generally not compared to Northern and Western Europe. I don’t know the cost of living in USA or Australia so can’t comment on the differences to that continent, Climate, hot but I believe similar to Hua Hin, maybe more rain here. I have only visited Hua Hin for a few long weekends and got a bit feeling of a “Hollywood cowboy movie set up” with a highway through the middle, but have not knowledge enough to make a recommendation for, or against Hua Hin.

If I could (was motivated and younger) to start over again, I think Nong Kai, Nakhon Panom in the North East and in the North, Chiang Rai and Chiang Saen would be places I would look at before either Phuket or Hua Hin in 2015.

I have lived in Phuket for 5 years, and it works for me, lots to do and see, nice restaurants and coffee shops, and nice beaches..

and the Andaman Ocean is lovely and Blue....

No where is perfect, but like i said, Phuket works for me..

as for ''Hua Hin'', i have been a few times, but it was not for me, too quiet, and my first venture on the beach came across a dead rat, then it went down hill after, that, i found the place scruffy, but thats me, maybe bad day, or whatever..,

Worth maybe trying 6 months each.. then you decide....

Thanks to all for very helpful information. As suggested I'm thinking about testing out both places but are unsure if a retirement visa (which after I have read on TV's visaforum should qualify for) from one province can be used or transferred to another province?

Thanks

trisod

Thanks to all for very helpful information. As suggested I'm thinking about testing out both places but are unsure if a retirement visa (which after I have read on TV's visaforum should qualify for) from one province can be used or transferred to another province?

Thanks

trisod

Yes once you get a retirement visa for Thailand its your choice where you want to live, my only piece of advice is if you plan to travel in and out of Thailand, get a Multi Entry ....

All the best and enjoy.....

Maybe God sent the floods to Bangkok for the same reason.

i lived in Hua Hin (well Cha-Am actually but close enough) for 2 years before moving to Phuket. Personally I hated the place, didn't like the people, the weather (no rain), the traffic (just as bad a Phuket in down town HH), the beaches (covered in donkey shit, filthy water), lack of nature, anywhere to walk or things to see.

only good thing you can say about the place is its close to Bangkok.

and why is spell check not working on posts anymore?