Thai govt asks Japan to reconsider housing exiled academic

webfact

Thai Govt Asks Japan to Reconsider Housing Exiled Academic
BY Khaosod English

14373941811437394590l.jpg
Justice Minister Paiboon Khumchaya ® meeting with Japanese ambassador Shiro Sadoshima (L) at the Ministry of Justice in Bangkok, 20 July 2015.

BANGKOK — A minister of Thailand's military government said he has asked the Japanese ambassador to "reconsider" whether it is appropriate for Japan to shelter an academic charged with insulting the Thai monarchy, a crime known as lese majeste.

Justice Minister Paiboon Khumchaya told reporters he raised the issue during a meeting with Japanese ambassador Shiro Sadoshima at the Ministry of Justice today.

According to Gen. Paiboon, Sadoshima visited to the Ministry to introduce himself as Japan’s new ambassador to Thailand. Gen Paiboon said he took the opportunity to discuss Pavin Chachavalpongpun, a Thai academic living in Japan who has been charged with insulting the monarchy, a crime punishable by up to 15 years in prison under Section 112 of the Thai Criminal Codes.

Pavin is believed to have left Thailand shortly after royalist military officers staged a coup against an elected government in May 2014. In July of that year, the military government charged Pavin with lese majeste and stripped him of his Thai passport.

Pavin is currently a professor at Kyoto University in Japan, and has continued to criticize the junta and write about the monarchy on social media and in op-eds for foreign publications, including the New York Times.

"I provided the Japanese ambassador with a list of suspects who have fled to Japan," Gen. Paiboon said today. "The list contains one name, which is Mr. Pavin Chachavalpongpun."

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437394181&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-21

"Gen. Paiboon did not comment on Sadoshima’s response to the request, but noted that the Japanese ambassador did ask about Hiroyuki Muramoto, a Japanese cameraman who was killed during the military crackdown on Redshirt protesters in Bangkok in April 2010."

So I will see your lese majeste and raise you a murder!

I had no idea, previous to this article, who Pavin Chachavalpongpun is, had written or said. Now I do.

You don't get out much then do you? Pavin's commentaries on Thailand's political and power landscape are astute, articulate & accurate, therefore a thorn in the junta's side as they try to bulldoze their agenda through the ruins of Thailand's fledging democracy.

"The regime has unsuccessfully sought the extradition of lese majeste suspects who have fled to countries like Cambodia, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, and France. On 13 July, the eve of Bastille Day, Gen. Paiboon raised the issue with French ambassador Thierry Viteau, who explained that France does not have an equivalent law."

Eve of Bastille day.....great timing.

Here we go again.

The nudge, nudge, hint, hint extradition request. There exist legal channels for formal extradition requests but instead the public is treated to this ridiculous charade designed to play very well to the supporters of the junta and to the more hawkish members of the regime.

The silence from the nation recipients of these letters is deafening.

I am sure we will be treated to another informal "extradition request" soon.

I had no idea, previous to this article, who Pavin Chachavalpongpun is, had written or said. Now I do.

You don't get out much then do you? Pavin's commentaries on Thailand's political and power landscape are astute, articulate & accurate, therefore a thorn in the junta's side as they try to bulldoze their agenda through the ruins of Thailand's fledging democracy.

There will be very little disagreement among decent people that the request to the Japanese Government to "reconsider sheltering" (ie in translation - extradite) a very distinguished academic and political exile is a mark of an administration absorbed with dogma and indifferent to civilised opinion.

What strikes me also is its extreme stupidity.

1.Bringing attention to the troglodyte nature of the Thai regime.

2.Focusing attention on a matter which otherwise would not have been noticed.

3.Forcing Japan - a key partner - to give a humiliating rebuttal.

4.Making a public statement on an essentially confidential conversation.

5.Bringing the Lese Majeste law into further disrepute.

6.Muddying the waters so that even reasonable requests for extradition become suspect.

7.Bringing more shame and ridicule to Thailand's international reputation

Again the suspicion must be is that the generals know this kind of action is absurd and and akin to insanity.But at some level they don't care because it is just part of a ritual dance which they think will give them legitimacy, provide more time at the feeding trough and pander to their illusions of nation saving.

There will be very little disagreement among decent people that the request to the Japanese Government to "reconsider sheltering" (ie in translation - extradite) a very distinguished academic and political exile is a mark of an administration absorbed with dogma and indifferent to civilised opinion.

1.Bringing attention to the troglodyte nature of the Thai regime.

2.Focusing attention on a matter which otherwise would not have been noticed.

3.Forcing Japan - a key partner - to give a humiliating rebuttal.

4.Making a public statement on an essentially confidential conversation.

5.Bringing the Lese Majeste law into further disrepute.

6.Muddying the waters so that even reasonable requests for extradition become suspect.

7.Bringing more shame and ridicule to Thailand's international reputation

Again the suspicion must be is that the generals know this kind of action is absurd and and akin to insanity.But at some level they don't care because it is just part of a ritual dance which they think will give them legitimacy, provide more time at the feeding trough and pander to their illusions of nation saving.

You said, rather well imo, what I was merely hinting at with my 'Now I do'.

It never ceases to amaze just how many times they're prepared to fire both barrels into their own feet.

Ohhh..... thank you so much.

No, I don't get much, thank you. Being from Serbia I usually try to avoid politics that will further rotten my mind. I don't see what business is to a foreigner like your self to get involved so much in Thai politics? I came here to avoid certain thinks and NOT to speak the language. The less I know the better.

Thanks for the other poster's concern, though./

Not only is this guy been hunted down by the junta, his employer also folded under pressure and he was fired by the university which means he has lost his pension. So much for academic freedom.

really? I didn't know that... very, very disappointing

The LM law is a disgrace and should be abolished. It has no place in a modern, civil society.

Yes but unfortunately as with defamation it's very handy and both laws can be used outside what I suppose was the original planned scope of the legislation so certain sections of society will be in no rush to see them amended far less repealed.

Amazing how much energy they put into these efforts.

Seems very petty to me.

Couldn't their time be better spent fostering an improvement in foreign relations resulting in benefits for the citizens of Thailand?

The Monarchy is strong, vital, on solid-ground, and is well-loved by all but a handful of people. Surely it can survive these few rogue elements?

Great post JayBoy.

"...I want them to understand Thai people's feelings..."

I love how they always profess to speak for all Thai people and imply "this is how the Thai people feel and what they want", where, in fact, they couldn't be further from the truth.

Have you given any thought to the far more worrying notion that they think their behaviour is perfectly fair, reasonable and in line with international norms? After all, I doubt a gaggle of closeted Thai golf generals have their finger on the geopolitical pulse...

Have you given any thought to the far more worrying notion that they think their behaviour is perfectly fair, reasonable and in line with international norms? After all, I doubt a gaggle of closeted Thai golf generals have their finger on the geopolitical pulse...

It's possible but I felt it right to give them some credit for intelligence.After all they have risen to the top of their chosen profession and even in the Thai army this implies a degree of international exposure and strategic thinking.If you are right - and you may well be - then unfortunately we are dealing with a collection of.. ( well, better not go there).

Strange that NYT is not yet blocked......after the article yesterday.....

Yes, and written by the very man they seek to have extradited from Japan. Very interesting article, and very frightening for the future of Thailand.

Thailand needs to up their game. Maybe USA can help out with tips, and we don't even have LM laws! Get a trumped up charge of rape against the guy in extradition friendly country (Sweden for US), then if lucky enough to get allies to go along with that charade and pack to country S, drag him back home to face what the real beef was about. I am speaking of Assange, btw....

after royalist military officers staged a coup against an elected government in May 2014

well at least that's true

"after royalist military officers staged a coup against a previously elected government acting as a caretaker government in May 2014"

Now it's true.

Edited by Baerboxer

Isn't that the case so often here. Those in senior positions, senior society, senior families, with senior wealth see themselves as perfect. All their views and decisions are correct, fair, reasonable and that should be crystal clear to any farang who hasn't had the advantages of a Thai upbringing or education.

Add to that the privileges an army officer enjoys, the higher the better, and their usual command and control approach, then it's not surprising. These approaches to France and Japan via their ambassadors are probably seen as being subtle and diplomatic!

Silence is probably the best response.

The message (We will come and get you) is for domestic consumption and is designed to stifle free speech. LM and defamation laws here are merely instruments of social control. They used to be quite effective but in this age of connectivity they are increasingly weak. By continuing to provide oxygen to the issues the junta is actually hurting itself. The myth-making and propaganda are also failing. Too many people know the real facts about the rich and powerful in this country. The piece in the NYT laid it out in a very articulate manner. I too am surprised I could still pick it up here and read it here in Thailand. I'm sure it won't be long before it is banned. But then of course something else will pop up. The genie is out of the bottle!

after royalist military officers staged a coup against an elected government in May 2014

well at least that's true

"after royalist military officers staged a coup against a previously elected government acting as a caretaker government in May 2014"

Now it's true.

That is true too but needs fleshing out by saying that the government were forced to disolve parliament because of a possible plan by the military, amart and yellow shirts, to encourage a rabble to occupy Bangkok, making life so difficult for the people that the government had little choice. Edited by jesimps