Sold from a jungle camp to Thailand's fishing industry: 'I saw 13 people die'

webfact

Sold from a jungle camp to Thailand's fishing industry: 'I saw 13 people die'
Hussein twice lived through the horror of Thai trafficking camps, sold by brokers to boats and working in terrible conditions at sea for four years without setting foot on land, in the service of the country’s multibillion-dollar seafood industry
Emanuel Stoakes and Chris Kelly Ranong, Annie Kelly

LONDON: -- Hussein* was only 16 when he first experienced the jungle camps of southern Thailand. These were places of torture, rape and death, the holding pens of a vast transnational trafficking industry preying on the desperation and isolation of thousands of stateless Rohingya.

Hussein lived through the horrors of these trafficking camps not once, but twice. Now living in the relative safety of Malaysia, his voice still cracks and breaks when he recounts what he witnessed there.

“In total, I saw 13 people die,” he says. “There was a river by the camp which was used as a toilet and some people drank that water. Those who could not pay [a ransom] were tortured by the brokers.”

The second time he was held in the jungle, he was among groups of young migrants forced to dig a mass graves for corpses of those who had died or been killed.

When his family were unable to pay a ransom, the teenager was taken by truck from the jungle to Songkhla, in southern Thailand. At the port he was handed to a boat captain and taken on to a fishing boat flying the Thai flag. He wouldn’t set foot on land again for four years.

Full story: http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/jul/20/sold-from-jungle-camp-thailand-fishing-industry-trafficking

-- The Guardian 2015-07-21

I can't see this posted elsewhere but have you seen the other article on The Guardian about Thailand's fishing industry

Revealed: how the Thai fishing industry traffics, imprisons and enslaves
Rohingya migrants trafficked through deadly jungle camps have been sold to Thai fishing vessels as slaves to produce seafood sold across the world, the Guardian has established.
An exceptional piece of investigative journalism from The Guardian.
Surely the EU and other countries will have no choice but to impose a ban on buying Thai fishing produce?
This will obviously not be good for Thailand and the economy but how else can you stop this horrific industry?

No doubt The Guardian will be blocked along with the Daily Mail.

That will be one for the record books, the two newspapers being at opposite ends of the political spectrum!

It uncovers the terrible undercurrent of inhumanity in the men of this region which is exposed by this extreme as well as the working conditions of millions of Thais as well as immigrants in other industries. The Chinese businesses are often particularly harsh n their workers employing various tactics to abuse their workers.

These articles just expose the extreme where officials are profiting from the illegality which of course goes on in many other illegal enterprises such as the drug trade, illegal logging and so on. And there s still the huge issie f bringing these officials to justice because the police and military will cover up for any lapses in the blackout curtains of secrecy.

You can have as many laws as you want but if the police and other officials are working to ignore them then they might as well not be on the statute books. As well as that you have a completely useless, corrupt and archaic Justice system to deal with the few who do get caught because they are neither police nor military but have money to bribe their way out.

While people are proud of trafficking people instead of working for a living and happy to boast to the world that they are involved in thus trade then it tells you a lot about the level of humanity in that country.

Tha trade has to stop and I am unconvinced there is any real intent to do anything more than simply the minimum to keep the export dollars and Euros rolling in. This is the way of Thailand, to hide and deceive about pretty much everything.

And while these floating refugee prisons and Thai fishing boats navigate Thailands waters, patrolled and the responsibility of the navy over the last two or three decades, apparently the navy are uninvolved and choose to lodge criminal proceedings against two journalists in the Phuket court, a court not known for its shining Justice, for their temerity to copy a few words from a Reuters report quoting a smuggler who implicates elements of those responsible for law on the seas. A statement obvious by observation since there have not been regular and repeated arrests of the people involved in this trade which has been going on for decades.

The infantile idea that attacking those that expose flaws makes you look better in the eyes of educated people rather than sully your name even further shows the class of the people in charge of bringing cases like this using a totally unjust criminal defamation law that protects only the corrupt rch and powerful.

Edited by timewilltell

Usually I'm a dis-believing gob-sh&te... this story leaves me heart broken. Humans can do this to other humans is hard to comprehend. Aweful.

Agreed. It's absolutely heartbreaking to think that in 2015 this kind of thing is going on and worse still, it is going on in the place that many of us on this forum have decided to make our home.

I'm actually quite ashamed by this and to think that we've all probably contributed to this terrible trade by buying Thai fish.

I wont be buying any products of the Thai fishing industry for the foreseeable future, if ever again.

These guys are right out of the Middle Ages. Before a couple of years ago, I would never have believed this was going on in Thailand. Torture, enslavement, murder, kidnapping, false imprisonment, etc. I feel that the journalists in Phuket deserve a lot of credit for doing their bit to expose this nightmare, in spite of great adversity.

Usually I'm a dis-believing gob-sh&te... this story leaves me heart broken. Humans can do this to other humans is hard to comprehend. Aweful.

Agreed. It's absolutely heartbreaking to think that in 2015 this kind of thing is going on and worse still, it is going on in the place that many of us on this forum have decided to make our home.

I'm actually quite ashamed by this and to think that we've all probably contributed to this terrible trade by buying Thai fish.

I wont be buying any products of the Thai fishing industry for the foreseeable future, if ever again.

you and I brother

It seems we all agree that slavery is a bad thing..it is a given, right?

What stumps me is how many here state that governments need to bad Thai sea food.

The EU should bad it, USA should ban it and son on and so on.

Since when did humans get so pathetic that we need governments to declare what is right and wrong?

Governments usually lean toward what ever is economically advantageous for the governments, not what is right.

It is time we as individuals took responsibility.

If we all refused to purchase Thai sea food and encouraged everyone we know to do the same this practice would stop.

The best way to stop bad business is to stop doing business with them.

On an issue as black and white as slavery, all should agree, except for the sleaze balls who profit from it.

Just say no to Thai sea food!

It is that simple.

Don't wait for any government to give you a reason.

Slavery is the only reason you need!

post-147745-0-93597200-1437448017_thumb.

Fantastic report and video. A very sad story.

I love that one general who shrugs his shoulders and says, as he looks doe-eyed at the camers, "I have searched all the mountains and no more migrants". So in only two or three months they have solved a problem that has existed for years and searched every square kilometer of land that they had previously stated was too massive and rough to effectively search.

OK, if you say so general.

Fantastic report and video. A very sad story.

I love that one general who shrugs his shoulders and says, as he looks doe-eyed at the camers, "I have searched all the mountains and no more migrants". So in only two or three months they have solved a problem that has existed for years and searched every square kilometer of land that they had previously stated was too massive and rough to effectively search.

OK, if you say so general.

Yes, the reaction of that general was quite unbelievable.

Who was he trying to kid?

No doubt The Guardian will be blocked along with the Daily Mail.

That will be one for the record books, the two newspapers being at opposite ends of the political spectrum!

Don't know why they bother trying to block when it's so easy to....IF you want to read the Daily Mail.

Many get upset here when any sort of discipline is imposed. They are so accustomed to being completely unregulated, that it is shock when the government steps in, and imposes limits on them. No traffic laws. No traffic safety. In general very little law and order, combined with a very weak and ineffective judiciary. No fishing standards. No regulation of the fishing fleets. No regular boat inspections. No inspections of the crews of the fishing boats. No consumer protections. No food regulations or inspections. So, no wonder these guys are pissed off. What do you mean I cannot do it exactly the way I want to do it without any barriers?

Many object to the EU imposing restrictions on the Thai fishing industry, since the EU is also guilty of overfishing, etc. But, I really do not think that is the major issue. What I think the major issue is here, and what is not being addressed here over and over again, is the use of slave labor, the extent to which they are being abused, and the abuse of non slave labor. Many of these fisherman are being treated like animals. Is anything being done about that? I think that is the real issue with regard to the EU. No matter how hard the Thai fishing industry and the Thai govt. tries to deny it, many around the world know it is happening, and it sickens them to the core of their being.

The reality is, that a percentage (no idea how high that number is) of these Thai fishing captains are absolute monsters, who are engaged in slave trading, and in most countries would be locked up in prison for life. They are allowed to ply their trade here, without much in the way of restrictions, inspections, interference from the government, and the authorities, especially the nearly useless Marine patrols. Only now, are they facing restrictions. Are these captains being brought up on human trafficking charges? I do not believe so. Are they facing life terms in prison for their reprehensible behavior, and their complete lack of humanity? I do not think so. So, let these foul cry babies cry all they want, and see if they get one iota of sympathy from us.

The Guardian did a major expose on the Thai fishing industry, called Slavery at Sea. This is probably what is causing the EU to act as they are doing, and is probably the reason for the recent inspections, and slowdown in the industry.

You can try this link, but don't even consider viewing it if you have a compassionate heart, or a weak stomach:

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/jul/20/thai-fishing-industry-implicated-enslavement-deaths-rohingya

Personally I only eat seafood when visiting Vietnam - Thai seafood is of extremely low quality ... bah.gif

Reading stories like this one makes me wish and pray that EU will ban thai seafood for many years to come post-4641-1156693976.gif - Cudos to the journalist, he will soon be hunted by the criminals behind this slavery and torture business and taken to AA - suspect the Kingpins sit high up and are untouchable in this dump of a country ...

Boycott Thai Seafood if you have respect for others and dispice this lot annoyed.gif

...I am vegetarian...

..the scary thing is....the sociopathic level of lying and denial......

...tell the truth and risk your life....

...and it is not only for fishing......

...everything in this society....

If i would have known all of this and other before I would have never stepped foot in Thailand.

Tourists coming to Thailand for 10 days will never know.

Call yourself lucky thailand, there would be hardly any left.

These guys are right out of the Middle Ages. Before a couple of years ago, I would never have believed this was going on in Thailand. Torture, enslavement, murder, kidnapping, false imprisonment, etc. I feel that the journalists in Phuket deserve a lot of credit for doing their bit to expose this nightmare, in spite of great adversity.

I guess we shouldn't be too surprised given what they did to the Vietnamese boat people:

http://www.vietka.com/Vietnamese_Boat_People/HorribleStatistics.htm

...I am vegetarian...

..the scary thing is....the sociopathic level of lying and denial......

...tell the truth and risk your life....

...and it is not only for fishing......

...everything in this society....

If i would have known all of this and other before I would have never stepped foot in Thailand.

Tourists coming to Thailand for 10 days will never know.

Call yourself lucky thailand, there would be hardly any left.

I suppose I hold to the view that the characteristics which you both - rightly - highlight are particularly prevalent in certain sections of Thai society. There is much I find admirable about other sections of society. It is a sadness that those certain sections of society, the most venal and corrupt, are the ones who govern the country. Edited by JAG

Final paragraph of the full story:

“As the industry has evolved across the last several decades the sad truth is forced labour has become fundamental to the economic logic of the Thai seafood sector,” he says. “If you suddenly strip out forced labour an industry can fall apart ... and maybe it should.”

I agree, except for the "maybe". Shut the illegal industry down, don't let it and it's bad practices move to neighboring countries, end the slave trade and give the oceans a rest.

The only complete answer to this is a Worldwide ban on Thai seafood; at least all Western countries along with Oz, NZ etc could rally around and red card them once and for all. However; their 'friends' in China and other countries with appalling Human Rights records will continue to buy from them as they continue with similar practices themselves.

Final paragraph of the full story:

“As the industry has evolved across the last several decades the sad truth is forced labour has become fundamental to the economic logic of the Thai seafood sector,” he says. “If you suddenly strip out forced labour an industry can fall apart ... and maybe it should.”

I agree, except for the "maybe". Shut the illegal industry down, don't let it and it's bad practices move to neighboring countries, end the slave trade and give the oceans a rest.

Yes, eliminating slavery would destroy Thailand's fishing industry as it is today. That is a good thing for a couple of reasons.

-" Thailand is the world's third-largest seafood exporter, and it is America's second-largest seafood supplier"

Due to slavery Thailand supplies relatively inexpensive seafood around the globe.

As a result, they are over fishing and depleting the fisheries.

Once slavery is eliminated they will be forced to pay a decent wage to fishermen and the price of seafood will go up accordingly.

There will still be a demand for seafood, but the demand will decrease with the higher price.

With the demand lower, the over fishing will be reduced.

My frozen shrimp will cost a bit more at the grocery store, but it will be a win/win situation for the people and the fisheries involved.

People have to eat.

Fortunately, that makes me less guilty regarding this issue as I don't eat seafood.

I do use a computer. What about child slavery on your expensive mobile phones, clothes and electronics?

It's easier to stop using electronics, but no one on this forum will do it and instead bash Thailand.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

People have to eat.

Fortunately, that makes me less guilty regarding this issue as I don't eat seafood.

I do use a computer. What about child slavery on your expensive mobile phones, clothes and electronics?

It's easier to stop using electronics, but no one on this forum will do it and instead bash Thailand.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Yes, people must eat.

but people have minds an can be selective about what they eat.

For health, political, moral, or humanitarian reasons, we can be selective about what we eat.

Seafood is somewhat of a luxury food for most people and not an every food stable.

Knowing your actions can make a difference in something as despicable as slavery and not even trying is shameful.