Coin counting machine

Kiniyeow

Has anyone ever seen any type of coin counting/separating machine in any local banks or other businesses? I have a good size bowl filled with Satang's and 1 & 2 Baht coins that I'd like to turn in but don't really want to separate and count them manually.

The other day I was at the Bangkok Bank Kad Suan Kaew and saw a young woman -- a foreigner -- sitting at a small table in the lobby, separating and counting Thai change. She was definitely a customer and had the look that she'd brought in a bag of change expecting the bank staff to count it for her. At least they'd set her up at a nice table, in bone-chilling aircon with a glass of water.

I was surprised that a bank branch that large didn't have a machine to separate and count change.

I save 10 baht coins. I took some to the SCB and they will do it for you but charge 1% commission if it is over 1900 baht.. So I gave them 1900 baht and the did it for free. Now I package them up in bags of 10 and deposit them when I have over 1000 baht.

I'm amazed that the banks trust the customers' counting and bagging ability. Surely someone at the bank will have to count the coins to verify the amount, don't you think?

So, if the bank employees do wind up counting the coins, why can't they do it for the customer? Seems selfish, I know (and doesn't affect me because I don't save up my change; I spend it as I go). But of course, the clear answer to save everyone the annoyance--especially the bank employees--would be for the bank to purchase a coin counting machine.

This evening I called my U.S. credit union to transact some business and got to wait on hold listening to a recording promoting their new services. They now have a automatic coin counting machine in the lobby -- it will either return the coins to you, all sorted, counted and bagged or automatically deposits them into your credit union account. In Michigan.

Edited by NancyL

saving coins is really an expensive nuisance.governments spent lots of money ,yours and mine to mint coins just so that some dimwits collect them in jars?what 's the point,just to look for a coin changing machine down the road? just use them when needed or tip somebody.stop the nonsense waisting taxpayer's money for nothing. if you want to save try 1000bt notes.

This evening I called my U.S. credit union to transact some business and got to wait on hold listening to a recording promoting their new services. They now have a automatic coin counting machine in the lobby -- it will either return the coins to you, all sorted, counted and bagged or automatically deposits them into your credit union account. In Michigan.

They have existed for years in the lobbies of large supermarkets in the UK. You pour in your coins and they sort them. It rejects foreign coins and then prints you a ticket (less a donation to charity) which you can take to the cashier and use against your shopping. So you just go in, buy a Mars Bar and hand them the ticket to get your change from the balance.

Banks will generally go by weight. You can ask for bags by denomination and fill them to the required limit. They then just simply weigh them and accept them.

However most small shops are just glad to exchange like for value as they have to pay bank fees to get change from the banks.

Sadly here in Thailand it is more difficult

Edited by tolsti

They have existed for years in the lobbies of large supermarkets in the UK. You pour in your coins and they sort them. It rejects foreign coins and then prints you a ticket (less a donation to charity) which you can take to the cashier and use against your shopping. So you just go in, buy a Mars Bar and hand them the ticket to get your change from the balance.

Banks will generally go by weight. You can ask for bags by denomination and fill them to the required limit. They then just simply weigh them and accept them.

However most small shops are just glad to exchange like for value as they have to pay bank fees to get change from the banks.

Sadly here in Thailand it is more difficult

Coin star in the UK,they take some minimal amount like 7% goes to charity.

post-118612-14375674878513_thumb.jpg

Even the banks weigh them,as you say here it's best to change them in minimal denominations with the somtam woman

Ask around if anyone knows the location of the provinces treasury.

In my province its located lower ground floor of the Governors building. It's where businesses go to buy their bundles of coins. They have coin counting machines and in my experience don't charge a percentage.

Alternatively i've seen people handing over bundles of coins at the customer service desks in Tesco.

Will the machine take baht coins and satang coins? I once filled up a Canadian one gallon jug with pennies rolled them and used them when buying things. Twice I filled up a Johnnie Walker Red Label one gallon (American) with dimes. All three times I counted them out and rolled them in rolls of 50 myself. Took quite a while but then again it took quite a while to collect them and I was in no hurry to get rid of them The pennies came out to around $43 and the dimes over $800. Now I collect them and when they get to many to carry give them to the grand kids.

saving coins in jars is total nonsense that costs huge amounts of taxpayers money to mint.

use them or give them to the people that hold their hand out.

I disagree look after the penny's and the pound will look after themselves.

When I lived in Japan I solved the problem of the banks not counting coins for exchange this way; I would take a bag of 1 Yen coins (worth about 1 US penny) and make out a deposit slip at my bank for a number that I estimated to be close to what I had. I'd hand the bag and deposit slip to the bank clerk and sit down and read a book. (Banks in Japan all have comfortable chairs. No one stands at the window and waits.) They would come back 10 minutes later and tell me that I had made a mistake counting, telling me the correct amount and asking if I would OK the new deposit. I always did.

They use coin counting machines in Japan. The clerk dumps in the coins, the machine sorts them, stacks them, and totals the amount. While the banks won't accept bags of coins for exchange into larger denominations, they will accept them for deposit. Perhaps it's the same here in Thailand.