Thai refugee eyeing Premier League with Sheffield United

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai refugee eyeing Premier League with Sheffield United

BY PATRICK JOHNSTON

In the prison-like surroundings of a Thai refugee camp on the Myanmar border, 10-year-old Kler Heh would play football in bare feet with family and friends dreaming of a new life elsewhere. Anywhere.

The long list of possible locations never included the northern English city of Sheffield but the once-mighty industrial town that has struggled since the decline of its steel mills in the 1980s has became a welcome home, largely because of football.

After four years living in England, Kler's perseverance and hard work showed English third tier side Sheffield United the skills learnt on the enclosed Thai streets were worthy of a chance with their academy.

Now 18 and possessing a first professional contract with the four-times FA Cup winners and 1898 English champions, Kler allows himself to dream again.

"I would love to play in the Premier League one day but at present my goal is to impress (manager) Nigel Adkins and (under 21 coach) Chris Morgan, and repay Sheffield United for the faith that they have shown to me," he told Reuters.

Mr Pedant says: Sheffield's a city, not a town.

The lad made the front page of the local paper and United have a good record of bringing young players through. Sadly, they end up being sold on. Incidentally, Wednesday are Thai owned and there's some concern about events there over the summer. Stuart Gray has gone and it looks as if a committee is running the playing side of things. Previous hints of big money signings seem not to have materialised.

He will need a Work Permit and I hope he has to report every 90 days to a London Embassy.

He has British nationality.

The headline (the only thing you read?) is very misleading. This chap is Karen. He has never held Thai nationality but just grew up in a refugee camp in Thailand. He has never even been permitted to go anywhere in Thailand except the refugee camp.

Mr Pedant says: Sheffield's a city, not a town.

The lad made the front page of the local paper and United have a good record of bringing young players through. Sadly, they end up being sold on. Incidentally, Wednesday are Thai owned and there's some concern about events there over the summer. Stuart Gray has gone and it looks as if a committee is running the playing side of things. Previous hints of big money signings seem not to have materialised.

Correct, it is a city. They've signed 8 new players with 2 more in the offing after unloading 11. Chansiri has so far paid a million quid for a new pitch and a similar amount for a new scoreboard. New seating and dug out areas. He's not afraid to flash the cash.

Bad news is the pre season has so far been a bit of a let down and on the day ticket pricing had gone through the roof. Which means, depending on who they're playing, I'll be giving my occasional visits to the hallowed S6 a miss.