Income statements from the Embassy no longer accepted as POI

I am English and my local Immigration office is in Nakhon Sawan. This morning I renewed my retirement extension a month early using the monthly income system using the POI and a letter from the UK embassy.

It took about 30 or 40 minutes start to finish and I went out happily with no problems.

Perhaps it was due to the fact that all the front office staff were ladies or maybe the fact that I bribed them. I bought 10 packs of Ferrero Rocher chocolates and gave 2 pack to each of the ladies but I got a genuine smile from all of them or perhaps because at 71 I am still a hansum man I don't know but it worked for me.

It may equally have something to do with the fact that the British Embassy is only prepared to issue POI letters on the basis of tangible documentary income evidence, and Nakhon Sawan are presumably well aware of this. I have got the impression from this thread that Nakhon Sawan may have a particular problem with such letters which are issued on the basis of sworn affidavits, as is the practice followed by the American and Australian embassies, for example.

In reality the embassy does no checking at all but relies on the honesty and integrity of its citizens that the information given is true and factual.

As if anyone would lie to the embassy.

Actually they did do some checking for my last POI letter a couple of months ago. According to their manuscript annotation on my supporting docs which they returned, they reduced my monthly income calculation by a whole penny!laugh.png

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Apart from everything else, haven't they heard of foreign exchange costs.

It is far more economical for me to he bring my monthly income in a few times a year rather than every month.

Also I thought the idea was to establish that you have a source of income to support yourself.

What conceivable difference can it make how that money arrives in the country? And if it doesn't, wouldn't that suggest that you don't actually need it.

As a matter of fact, you could borrow money in your home country, deposit the 800K and be perfectly OK even though you have a negative net income. Which, if this lunacy persists is probably what I am going to do.

There is no change in the rules. No lunacy. Only a couple of guy trying to start a rumor by false headline to attract posters. The headline, "Income Statements from the Embassy no longer accepted" is not true.

Except at Nong Khai Immigration.

And in your constantly agitated state of denial, you continuously misstate the facts as well.

There is no 'rule' that an embassy letter is required. The law is that you must have 65000 Thai baht per month income, period. Nationally, the accepted proof has been, but not limited to, a letter from the Embassy. Many cases of other documentation can be found on TV, including in this thread, i.e. military pension statements.

What is new, and almost certainly outside the law, is the requirement (apparently at Nong Khai) that you must IMPORT those funds to prove that you have the necessary income. That has never been a requirement, and is not part of the law.

It does stand to reason, however, that if you can import 65000 baht per month, you have the required income.

Also, the forced signing of an agreement to accept this rogue rule is particularly egregious, and, frankly, doesn't pass the smell test.

Calls to 1111 are definitely in order.

So calm down.

• Like 2

It is far more economical for me to he bring my monthly income in a few times a year rather than every month.

Also I thought the idea was to establish that you have a source of income to support yourself.

What conceivable difference can it make how that money arrives in the country? And if it doesn't, wouldn't that suggest that you don't actually need it.

As a matter of fact, you could borrow money in your home country, deposit the 800K and be perfectly OK even though you have a negative net income. Which, if this lunacy persists is probably what I am going to do.

There is no change in the rules. No lunacy. Only a couple of guy trying to start a rumor by false headline to attract posters. The headline, "Income Statements from the Embassy no longer accepted" is not true.

And in your constantly agitated state of denial, you continuously misstate the facts as well.

There is no 'rule' that an embassy letter is required. The law is that you must have 65000 Thai baht per month income, period. Nationally, the accepted proof has been, but not limited to, a letter from the Embassy. Many cases of other documentation can be found on TV, including in this thread, i.e. military pension statements.

What is new, and almost certainly outside the law, is the requirement (apparently at Nong Khai) that you must IMPORT those funds to prove that you have the necessary income. That has never been a requirement, and is not part of the law.

It does stand to reason, however, that if you can import 65000 baht per month, you have the required income.

Also, the forced signing of an agreement to accept this rogue rule is particularly egregious, and, frankly, doesn't pass the smell test.

So calm down.

Also might ask them or whoever on here since when has the requirement gone from 800,000 to 780,000?

Isn't 65,000 times 12 =780,000? Far be it for me to suggest some kind of hoax but I mean really........ Or is my arithmetic in error?

I guess the only people who would be worried about this, are the ones making false declarations?

And those in compliance with the law, but choose to get their cash from an ATM, rather than import the whole 65000 every month.

And Jingthing misstates it again: it is not an 'additional document' it is a document which places an illegal condition on the proof of income, in lieu the nationally accepted embassy letter. The illegal condition is the requirement that the income be imported. Also the forced signing of an agreement to submit to this illegal requirement.

If a US bank or pension or Social Security statement were required, showing the equivalent of 65000 baht, I would heartily agree that they are within the law, but, alas they are not.

• Like 2

So calm down.

Also might ask them or whoever on here since when has the requirement gone from 800,000 to 780,000?

Isn't 65,000 times 12 =780,000? Far be it for me to suggest some kind of hoax but I mean really........ Or is my arithmetic in error?

Probably wouldn't hurt for you to have a look at the Police Order, which I think is pinned somewhere at the top of this section.

The requirement is one of the following:

1) 800000 in a Thai bank for 3 months, except for the first extension, 2 months

2) income of 65000 baht per month

3) a combination of income and bank deposit totalling 800000

No requirement for 65000 x 12 to equal 800000

Beginning to think your tinfoil hat needs relining...

So calm down.

Probably wouldn't hurt for you to have a look at the Police Order, which I think is pinned somewhere at the top of this section.

The requirement is one of the following:

1) 800000 in a Thai bank for 3 months, except for the first extension, 2 months

2) income of 65000 baht per month

3) a combination of income and bank deposit totalling 800000

No requirement for 65000 x 12 to equal 800000

Beginning to think your tinfoil hat needs relining...

Funny that, I thought I read, "The law is that you must have 65000 Thai baht per month income, period."

That is also what the suspect pension verification form says. No mention of 800,000

Pension Verification Form (1) (1).pdf

Edited by lostoday

With a little effort I could get income letter from my bank/brokerage firm. I don't know how I would get that notarized and it will be a bit challenging to get it mailed from the USA. I definitely won't have bank slips and monthly deposits into Thailand. I would NOT be moving money that regularly into Thailand. I might be moving money every few months or quarterly. Sadly, this probably is arising from people that have been abusing the simple embassy affidavit letter process. The better solution is to have the issue be raised to the foreign embassies so that they will tighten up or at least try to review what people are swearing to as far as income.

Understandable to me at least, the Thai government wants to be assured that a set amount of foreign currency will be received here in Thailand and really doesn't care what an expats overseas income/deposited/not brought into Thailand might be.

I agree with your interpretation. Thais want to see a plain and simple monthly deposit or transfer into Thailand. That is not going to be possible for most people. Many people do not get regular incomes or pensions. I myself get my passive income from dividends and interest that over the course of a year equal $45,000 USD. Some of the dividends come quarterly and not monthly. In addition, I had no plans to make monthly transfers into Thailand. I don't need that paperwork hassle. I would be making transfers in or withdrawals from the ATM every other month at most. I had no plans to set up any regular transfers into a foreign bank.

• Like 1

Understandable to me at least, the Thai government wants to be assured that a set amount of foreign currency will be received here in Thailand and really doesn't care what an expats overseas income/deposited/not brought into Thailand might be.

I agree with your interpretation. Thais want to see a plain and simple monthly deposit or transfer into Thailand. That is not going to be possible for most people. Many people do not get regular incomes or pensions. I myself get my passive income from dividends and interest that over the course of a year equal $45,000 USD. Some of the dividends come quarterly and not monthly. In addition, I had no plans to make monthly transfers into Thailand. I don't need that paperwork hassle. I would be making transfers in or withdrawals from the ATM every other month at most. I had no plans to set up any regular transfers into a foreign bank.

Except for one rogue immigration office out of hundreds all they want to see is an embassy letter. You my friend have been taken in by deceptive headline writing. The Thai government does not want to see anything except a letter from the embassy or a bank book showing 800,000 baht.

• Like 1

With a little effort I could get income letter from my bank/brokerage firm. I don't know how I would get that notarized and it will be a bit challenging to get it mailed from the USA. I definitely won't have bank slips and monthly deposits into Thailand. I would NOT be moving money that regularly into Thailand. I might be moving money every few months or quarterly. Sadly, this probably is arising from people that have been abusing the simple embassy affidavit letter process. The better solution is to have the issue be raised to the foreign embassies so that they will tighten up or at least try to review what people are swearing to as far as income.

Tell me, would you really come to Thailand for a year and not want at least $22,000 in a local bank?

• Like 1

That's harsh!

No problem for those using the 800K method as that's no change.

But for those on income method, they are going rogue as there really is no official policy requiring full IMPORT of all of those funds.

Hold on a cotton picking minute....

There's a loophole that can be had here & its so simple.

All that's needed is 65,000 bt in savings. Plus a bit extra.

All you do in transfer in 65,000bt, withdraw it, then next month pay it back in.

You open a company & keep the 65,000 there. Transfer in & out & pay the transfer fees

If immigration want to play hard ball then games can be played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell me, would you really come to Thailand for a year and not want at least $22,000 in a local bank?

Absolutely guaranteed I would not want $22,000 in a local bank. I would not want anything close to that. I would have no need to have that much cash there. I would always keep way less than that, and probably would not even open a Thai bank account. No reporting requirements back to the USA. I only spend about 2500 to 3000 a month while there.

• Like 1

That's harsh!

But for those on income method, they are going rogue as there really is no official policy requiring full IMPORT of all of those funds.

All you do in transfer in 65,000bt, withdraw it, then next month pay it back in.

You open a company & keep the 65,000 there. Transfer in & out & pay the transfer fees

Won't work, They are looking for international bank transfers of at least 65,000 THB each month.

• Like 1

Absolutely guaranteed I would not want $22,000 in a local bank. I would not want anything close to that. I would have no need to have that much cash there. I would always keep way less than that, and probably would not even open a Thai bank account. No reporting requirements back to the USA. I only spend about 2500 to 3000 a month while there.

$3000 per month is $36,000. I report my money to the USA on the internet yearly it takes 20 minutes. Of course I'm not a fantasy Thai traveler I actually live here. My pension comes here monthly to Bangkok Bank and I've got a bit of cash in other interest paying Thai bank accounts. All in my name and no problems in 10 plus years.

You and one other guy who is neversure about anything usually slag the Thai Banks. I don't know why. Thai banks have done well while banks in the USA and London have produced a long list of felons.

I'm signed up for SMS's on my phone so any activity is reported to me from my banks immediately.

I have direct deposit accounts from the American military and SS and never any problems. I like the fact that I have to show up and produce a passport to get out cash.smile.png

I could do my retirement extension either way but I find the 800,000 method easier only takes a minute at the bank on the way to the immigration office. This year the whole process took 20 minutes.

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen to me at Beung Kan immigration last December. Except that they had no letter to sign for "next time".

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/787091-bueng-kan-immigration-office-refused-my-retirement-extension/

I read your other post where you were asked for a marriage certificate for a retirement extension. Again looks like a rogue office and I'd go somewhere else. Beung Kan is looking for something other than is normal at 99% of the immigration offices. I don't have a marriage certificate and I've been retired here for more than 10 years. I think something else is going on with your extensions.

$3000 per month is $36,000. I report my money to the USA on the internet yearly it takes 20 minutes. Of course I'm not a fantasy Thai traveler I actually live here. My pension comes here monthly to Bangkok Bank and I've got a bit of cash in other interest paying Thai bank accounts. All in my name and no problems in 10 plus years.

You and one other guy who is neversure about anything usually slag the Thai Banks. I don't know why. Thai banks have done well while banks in the USA and London have produced a long list of felons.

I'm signed up for SMS's on my phone so any activity is reported to me from my banks immediately.

I have direct deposit accounts from the American military and SS and never any problems. I like the fact that I have to show up and produce a passport to get out cash.smile.png

I could do my retirement extension either way but I find the 800,000 method easier only takes a minute at the bank on the way to the immigration office. This year the whole process took 20 minutes.

I don't know what the heck you are referring to when you say "neversure" about anything. Also, I don't slag Thai banks. I was just pointing out that if I had $22,000, in a Thai bank or any overseas bank for that matter, I would have to report that. I have no desire to fill in or report anything more than necessary. As far as a fantasy traveler which I think you alluded to, I have been to Thailand 14 times, often going twice a year, and I have stayed in country for periods exceeding two months. I fully qualify for a retirement visa by either of the methods. Frankly, the convenience of the Elite Visa appeals to me and I might go that way.

I don't know what the heck you are referring to when you say "neversure" about anything. Also, I don't slag Thai banks. I was just pointing out that if I had $22,000, in a Thai bank or any overseas bank for that matter, I would have to report that. I have no desire to fill in or report anything more than necessary. As far as a fantasy traveler which I think you alluded to, I have been to Thailand 14 times, often going twice a year, and I have stayed in country for periods exceeding two months. I fully qualify for a retirement visa by either of the methods. Frankly, the convenience of the Elite Visa appeals to me and I might go that way.

You have to report bank accounts anywhere. What's the difference between Bangkok or Boston? Elite Visa 2,000,000 baht. Retirement Visa 1,900 per year. Deposit $22,000 in a Thai bank for 3 months a year. I find it bizarre that anyone would spend 2 million baht when 1900 gets the same service. But that's just my opinion. I guess what they say about the rich really being different is true.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I retired to Thailand on a retirement last October and will be up for renewal of my retirement visa in October.

Upon entry last year I needed to to have rested 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to applying for my visa. This time it will be a three month resting period.

I had planned on using the combination approach to save on US income tax (by not having to withdraw so much just to rest in a Thai bank). I would get an affidavit notarized at the US Embassy in BKK stating my pension portion, and rest the remainder in a Thai bank, to total 800,000 Baht.

But if Thai immigration is no longer accepting that option, then the third option -proof of 65,000 Baht per month option- is appealing to me.

Can someone tell me what Thai Immigration will accept as "proof of deposits"? I can't find anything about it on Thai Immigration / Thai Embassy websites.

Thanks in advance...

Hi all,

I retired to Thailand on a retirement last October and will be up for renewal of my retirement visa in October.

Upon entry last year I needed to to have rested 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to applying for my visa. This time it will be a three month resting period.

I had planned on using the combination approach to save on US income tax (by not having to withdraw so much just to rest in a Thai bank). I would get an affidavit notarized at the US Embassy in BKK stating my pension portion, and rest the remainder in a Thai bank, to total 800,000 Baht.

But if Thai immigration is no longer accepting that option, then the third option -proof of 65,000 Baht per month option- is appealing to me.

Can someone tell me what Thai Immigration will accept as "proof of deposits"? I can't find anything about it on Thai Immigration / Thai Embassy websites.

Thanks in advance...

There has been no changes to the rules. Just the one rogue immigration office deviating from the written rules.

You can still use the combination of money in the bank and income to reach a total of 800k baht.

• Like 2

That's harsh!

Won't work, They are looking for international bank transfers of at least 65,000 THB each month.

Then transfer in & out of your home bank. Easy

That's harsh!

Then transfer in & out of your home bank. Easy

Not necesarily that easy plus if you are transferring 65,000 thb in and out every month that will be 24 extra sets of bank charges a year.

That seems like a fair chunk of income a year.

quote "If immigration want to play hard ball then games can be played."

The difference between you and Immigration playing hard ball games is they can make up and change the rules if they so wish and you will never win.

• 2 weeks later...

I think these posts effectively sum it all up and unless there is a national posting we all can rest easily that nothing has changed.
Good to be able to produce an income verification from the source and I always bring one.

I am in agreement with others, if something like this were to become required, it will be the reason for me to move as I have no desire to bring that much money into thailand. Also, I have no connections here, family or business.

For those who have their pensions or other income sent direct to their bank account and withdraw by ATM- it is quite easy to prove to Immigration the amount you get each month or at other intervals. On line banking provides the exact date of deposit and shows the exact date and exchange rate when withdrawn from a Thai ATM. This documentation comes direct from the Bank. The Immigration law does not indicate that the money has to be sent to a Thai bank. It states that one has to be able to provide proof of 65,000 baht per month or 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank. The money can come from anywhere. Normally if it is a pension or Social Security/other government payment it is clearly marked in your bank details. The only IO that appear to question source is when there is a source that is different from the norm- such as rental income; stocks and bonds or some other type of income. The statutory declaration does not necessarily ask for the back up- but it is against the law to lie on a statutory declaration that is sworn before a consular office. When I go to Immigration, I always have the back up- letters from my pension provider and copies of the years bank statement showing how much I draw out every month from Thailand. To date- they have never asked for the back-up and therefore I do not provide it. The situation in Nong Khai is not reasonable-the document they force you to sign has no Thai Letterhead- number or any other identifying information. It serves no legal purpose and would never be upheld by the Admin court. If I was presented with the document I may well sign it but the next time I would go in to immigration with all my other documentation including the Stat declaration and make the case that you do meet the regulation requirements. I would have the Police Order with me written in Thai and English and possibly bring along a lawyer.

Suppose I have just retired and living somewhere in Europe. I have decided to retire in Thailand. Approaching a Thai Embassy I do not believe they would require me to show any details of Thai Bank deposits and withdrawals. Yes they would require evidence of income, but a newly retired person can only provide statements of entitlement. Previous income whilst employed would be irrelevant. Pension providers produce these statements annually. If these statements are acceptable initially why all the fuss about extensions?

Edited by Nowisee

I did not find the rule, that income must bring to Thailand.

Only "Having evidences of definite financial status of foreign husband by showing average income not less than 40,000 Baht per month or having money in the Thai Bank account of not less than 400,000 Baht which must be held consecutively not shorter than two months."

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq

Nothing has changed at Phuket Immigration and i heard nothing about any changes.

But I was informed that changes are coming up and i should have them end of next week.

If i hear about new (official) rulings i will post them.

• Like 1

I have read all the replies to the forum starter and is suprised over how many of you are close, i said close to call this man a bs artist out to put the fear in people. I would advice u all to read the forum called Proof of income for marriage extension- is this a new policy. There is definitly a crackdown going on these days at least in this district Kap Choeng, 60 km from border crossing to Cambodia, but also similar reports from immigration places further north in Isan. Exempel, now everybody asking for extension retirement get a 1 month " Under consideration" stamp in passport and wait for Imm Police to come to your house for evaluation/ check up. This have never happend to ex retirement befor, or shall i rather say i never heard of any visits to pensioners before, only to married extension people. Two days ago they came 4 yes 4 police ( id around neck Immigration Police) unannounsed, i mean i knew they were to come but not exactly what day. They used about nearly three hours at my house, talking to my neighbors on both side of me. My neighbors hardly know me other than good morning and so, but they had to come in my patio with their ID and sign official papers that they thought i was a good man, divorced but took good care of my child i have custody of. They took a lot of pictures of me and the boy, me, boy and immigration people, all of us incl neighbors and my town house. A new experience for me, never seen any notice about this new practice, but after reading some forums i realized that this have been going on in this region since before Christmas last. So to end this, they dont have to follow the law, or rather read the small print. Its up to any immigration officer to grant or deny u visa or extesion. So if they ask to see what money u actually bring in to the country, is up to them. They know very well that the US Embassy write income that you as a US citicen swear to is correct and ask them to write, and probably in many cases are false info, they also know that in the scandinavian embassies we have to produce strong proof of income to get them to write garantee of income letter. I asked the officers visiting me, "whats the background for this new very though praksis" he just pointed his fingers to the sky and said "from the top". Personally i think that any argument to that is a sure lost cause. They also said, before we dident have the manpower to do all this investigations, but know we have. I might add, they brought their own laptop and printer/scanner, one box full of blanc official documents in case of needing to fill out more docu, ex the info on neighbors.

• Like 1

I am currently awaiting my promised home visit. Thanks for the warning. 4 officers is a little over the top but I will smile and bite my tongue if needed but not sure if I can hold out for three hours. Luckily my neighbours know me and can confirm i live here.

I am now convinced from the various threads that a tightening up is underway, but although I may not like it they seem to only be carrying out what they should have done before. I have always been aware of the possible home visit otherwise why would they want a map and the bank statements passbook proof is within an acceptable level of proving income so I will, like others have to put up or leave.

As an aside, the presence of 4 uniforms in the village will be fun as my place is full of young bike gang guys who are regularly losing members to arrest so they will be running for the hills when the police arrive. They won't stick around long enough to realise they are immigration and not local police looking for one of them.

Just to continue. Everybody i know here around Surin area applying for ext retirement get a visit now. The numbers of officers varies from four to three, but they bring laptop/scanner/printer and they have ready blanc papers or official papers to fill out if needed. By neighbors f.ex or pujaiban to state your good standing in community. Time spendt varies from two to three hours, so they are really going at it. Read headliner today at thai visa, immigration visit and good luck to u all.