Visa (border) run in Mae Sai - what's the status now?

Maramook

I had one stamp in February (land), then another one in July (airport) and am going to get the 3rd one next week in Mae Sai. I'm planning on getting a thai visa next time because in a month I'm going to another country for a little while.

Has it been allowed to do visa runs (border runs) recently (last 1-3 months) in Mae Sai?

Edited by Maramook

I went 2 weeks ago. I was told no more visa runs, there was a sign up saying the same and I was not allowed to cross. I had a brand new UK passport and had no previous visa exempt entries. Was told to go to immigration where I was offered a seven day extension. I refused and chose to fly to KL the next morning. I would avoid Mae Sai myself.

You may be confusing the terms Visa vs Border runs. Those attempting to obtain visa exempt entry stamps(30days) will likely not be able to do so, however, the same does not apply to those simply using an entry on an existing multi-entry tourist visa.

The former is considered a Visa run while the latter is considered a Border run.

Same here, I am now on a 60 day double entry & on roughly the 18th of Sept will have to go out for my 2nd entry. Will that be a problem at Mae-Sai too or am I rolling the dice yet again ????

I am over it with Thailand, with 1 day it's OK & the next it's not crap.......so, so tired of the BS. So after 5 years in LOS I'm outta here mid September. God even my wife (Thai) is over it & wants to get out !!!

If you do go there try and do what i did and do the whole process so quickly the immigration lady on the thailand exit side comes running out and demands to see your passport because she thought you wandered back in without going to the Burmese passport office 555

Edited by Jdiddy

My naivety - when I arrived in LOS in 2003, visa runs were all we knew. A songtaew or pickup would take us for the necessary paperwork. Then, they streamlined it. The travel agencies made rubber stamps so unbeknown to all, the passport never left CNX.

Now, visa requirements are widely publicized.

On my 1st visit to the border recently. I was amazed by the number of minibuses - mainly Japanese & Chinese passengers.

CNX has a thriving sector dealing with visas - mainly law offices.

Things don't seem to be getting better so maybe a review of the Thai visa system is appropriate.

to cross there? you couldn't leave Thailand?

Yes, that is correct

How is it possible they couldn't allow you to leave Thailand?

When they had the clamp down on visa runners (Or more correctly, those getting the visa exempt entry) the immigration personnel in Mae Sai where checking to ensure foreigners crossing had a "proper visa". If they did not have a visa they were then informed that if they cross into Myanmar they would not be able to return as they did not have a visa. And in Tachelik there is no Thai consulate to issue one.

You could cross 3 times using the visa exempt system but they clamped down hard on its application. I'm not sure of the current policy but for me it makes more sense to go to Vientaine and get a double entry visa (If you're on a tourist visa). Nice trip and less hassle in the long run.

If you're lucky enough i.e. Over. 50, then a retirement visa is a godsend.

>>f they did not have a visa they were then informed that if they cross into Myanmar they would not be able to return as they did not have a visa.

Informed. But not "not allowed to leave Thailand".

>>
'm not sure of the current policy but for me it makes more sense to go to Vientaine
REally far. Besides
next month I want to leave for another country to check it out and then get a thai visa there. Otherwise if I get a thai visa now, I won't be able to visit that country for a few months, right?

I have one stamp in Feb (land) and one in July (airport). That's it.

Edited by Maramook

You could try Mae Sai but I think you're taking a gamble..... The official on the Thailand side may let you go across but a different official on the way back in could stop you. That's a big gamble in my books......stuck in no mans land. Alternative would be to get the 7 day extension from CM immigration. Cost I think is 1900 baht.

Yesterday, someone told Mr K the same story about the border being closed. He claimed to be on a Non-O visa just doing his 90 day leave the country for a couple of minutes run (but we have no way of verifying this; I tend to believe only what is proven to me nowadays due to confusion and outright balderdash).

Has anyone utilising anything other than visa exempt been to Mae Sai in the last week who can confirm or otherwise?

Also, just curious, at Chiang Kong do you have to pay for a full visa into Laos or do they have a 60 minute shoppers' special?

You could try Mae Sai but I think you're taking a gamble..... The official on the Thailand side may let you go across but a different official on the way back in could stop you. That's a big gamble in my books......stuck in no mans land. Alternative would be to get the 7 day extension from CM immigration. Cost I think is 1900 baht.

They make sure you will have no prob coming back in before letting you out, otherwise there would be a solid stacked wall of 2,000 falung beggars on the bridge