Green book question

Kenny202

Recently bought a Kawasaki trail bike. Bought from a dealer and 2-3 months before the tfer is done and we get the green book. In the meantime I have seen a bike more suitable and wish to buy it and sell the Kawasaki.

5 questions.....

1) is it much of a hassle buying and selling used bikes here privately? Any substantial taxes or changeover fees?

2) Can I sell the bike i just bought without a big hassle before I get the green book back?

2) if I buy the other bike privately, what is the process with him transferring ownership to me? Does he handle it all ie send papers to transport dept or what shud happen?

3) What shud I be checking for re ownership and what shud he give me as proof is sale?

4) twice before wen buying a bike from a dealers in my name I've had to provide passport and a letter from the local Amphur stating residency (which is a pain to obtain). Would i need to provide the Amphur letter for a private sale?

1. No

2. Selling without a greenbook might be tough

2. Ask the Kawasaki dealer if it is do-able..

2. Easiest is to have an agent (i.e.,Kawasaki) handle the transfer paperwork for you.

3. See 2.

4. Yes

Why is it taking 2-3 months for the transfer? Can be done same day!

What bike is it? Is it actually legally registered at the moment?

No one gets their Greenbook, with their name in it, the same day, unless things have really changed. Took me 7 weeks to get my Greenbook back with my name in it.

No one gets their Greenbook, with their name in it, the same day, unless things have really changed. Took me 7 weeks to get my Greenbook back with my name in it.
It's a second hand bike that's being transferred!

Can be done same day!

Edited by casualbiker

It's a second hand bike that's being transferred!

Can be done same day!

Agree, if all the papers are in order it is a straight forward process. (The small provincial offices that I have used never do it the same day, but they check all the documents and only give you a receipt if everything is 100% in order)

Normally the last two transfers that I did were done on day one in the afternoon and the Green Book was ready morning of day 3.

If it is a new bike I can understand the hassle in some cases but both of the 2nd hand bikes that I bought were originally registered to Niyom Panich the original dealer in the first place, so it is a new bike as it has never been driven, but as far as the Green Book is concerned, you would be the 2nd owner, again making the transfer simple.

Remember the bike is registered in another province and has to be changed to my province. Knowing thailand i don't imagine that's all done in the one day

That is not strictly correct as I am riding a Honda CB400 that I bought in Pattaya a couple of years ago. It was registered in Rayong and it has been in Khampaeng Phet province and through the DLT here at least twice and they don't seem that interested in re-registering it.

Slightly off topic we bought a Ford Ranger in BKK in 2001 and moved up here in 2004 and it still has the BKK plates though the address has changed and that has been through the DLT here for 10 or 11 years with no problems.

Edited by billd766