PM Prayut orders ban on alcohol sales near universities and vocational colleges

webfact

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More evidence that the current "govt." should be a care taker govt. and wait for an elected body to make changes and decisions affecting the country, they are so in over their heads.

Funny, because about 20 states in the US have similar laws. When I was a student at UC Berkeley, no takeaway alcohol sales were allowed within 1 mile of campus. But, you're probably from the UK or EU where free flow is the rule. I wouldn't expect you to be worldly enough to understand that the government is following a model which has been used elsewhere in the world.

How very patronising! And from a septic too - a nation that can't drink!

Completely stupid rule, why cant they just inforce the fact that you must be over 18 to buy alcohol, and heavily fine anyone breaking the rule. This means students will ride their bikes EVEN more dangerously to get out of the 300 mtr zone. We had government officials come into my restaurant yesterday and tell me to run my alcohol stock down as we are inside the 300 metre zone of a tech college, in Chaiyaphum. I measured it yesterday and i make it 327 metres. If anyone can recommend a good lawyer i would like to know please.

Go to Google Earth (load it onto your computer if you don't have it) and zoom in to your location at a scale that still shows the school. You can then measure it quite accurately. You can back up the measurements by taking a GPS to the location and staying there for a while and recording the location data as a track. Just make sure that the datums match. You can take the center of that cloud of points and use it as strong evidence that the Google Earth image is accurate. You can show the distances on the map using Google Earth as below.

Then you have evidence that you can print and show them and you're in the clear.

8Gw3zFls.jpg

Edited by JCauto

More evidence that the current "govt." should be a care taker govt. and wait for an elected body to make changes and decisions affecting the country, they are so in over their heads.

Funny, because about 20 states in the US have similar laws. When I was a student at UC Berkeley, no takeaway alcohol sales were allowed within 1 mile of campus. But, you're probably from the UK or EU where free flow is the rule. I wouldn't expect you to be worldly enough to understand that the government is following a model which has been used elsewhere in the world.

Maybe it's that we are just 'worldy enough' to fall for such nonsense and 'more importantly' educated enough that we understand that the root of the problem isn't the sale itself but many other factors I'm too lazy to write down here as my beer is getting warm while I am writing it. That is one of the beers I bought in bulk at 15.00h as it's not ok to buy a bottle but you are still a good and legal customer when going for 10+ liters. BTW... Have fun with your US logic wired brain.

Maybe its too simple, but why don't they just ask customers who look like they might be of student age for ID

to show they are over 20 years old which is the legal age to buy alcohol.

IMO you are forgetting the class structure in LOS. Can you imagine a hiso, upthemselves, stuckup uni student kowtowing to a low class shop employee?

That is one of the beers I bought in bulk at 15.00h as it's not ok to buy a bottle but you are still a good and legal customer when going for 10+ liters. BTW... Have fun with your US logic wired brain.

I thought they'd cracked down on that too.

You have completely made that up. I can find nothing on any such laws, not that it would matter. Why is it every-time there is one of these threads some jerk has to make up a phony fact about the US to compare it to?

Edited by BudRight

Last time I checked Berkeley was not a tourist destination. What this law will do is to rip the heart out of central BKK tourist areas. If the measures would have been effective it would have been acceptable but there is nothing stopping the students to buy alcohol outside the 300 m zone and bringing it in or waliking 301 m to drink. Its like telling students not to have sex, a futile exrecise because its goes against human nature.

A newspaper report states Thailand leading the way in banning alcohol sales.

piffle! The bars and clubs will simply relocate ! (if their businesses suffer!)

Been around any provincial campus sites where there are hundreds of small apartment blocks designed for students ? These are well "off-campus" and the nightlife is vibrant !

Students will just find the nearest legal (or illegal) place to drink ................. get real people!

The students, as well as most others in Thailand, get their alcohol from 7-Eleven and other convenience stores. I doubt that there are many countries in the world where access to alcohol is as easy as here.

In most of Europe, alchohol is available everywhere......corner stores, supermarkets etc

Let's not forget that in the UK the universities all have student union bars and in fact they are among the biggest consumers which is how they get the low prices...just saying that alcohol access for UK students is much easier, it's sold on campus!

What higher education institute within 300mtrs of Soi Cowboy?

None.

As it is from the boundary direct and not by street access there are a couple of small universities that come just within 300m. Try putting soi sowboy and universities into google map and then measuring.

Remember there does not have to be road access

It would probably have more effect if they banned alcohol sales from all convenience stores. Easy access to alcohol means more drinking, and in Thailand, access is absurdly easy.

Oh dear, get a grip, one part of the world that has minimal problems with alcohol is Europe where it is ubiquitous and freely available.

My observation is that the access is not the problem but education and attitudes.

Thankyou JCauto, i have done exactly that, im 350mtrs, so hopefully im in the clear, i wont go down without a fight, ive never sold a beer to a student in my life. maybe they ll all come here for a beer now, JOKE

Completely stupid rule, why cant they just inforce the fact that you must be over 18 to buy alcohol, and heavily fine anyone breaking the rule. This means students will ride their bikes EVEN more dangerously to get out of the 300 mtr zone. We had government officials come into my restaurant yesterday and tell me to run my alcohol stock down as we are inside the 300 metre zone of a tech college, in Chaiyaphum. I measured it yesterday and i make it 327 metres. If anyone can recommend a good lawyer i would like to know please.

Go to Google Earth (load it onto your computer if you don't have it) and zoom in to your location at a scale that still shows the school. You can then measure it quite accurately. You can back up the measurements by taking a GPS to the location and staying there for a while and recording the location data as a track. Just make sure that the datums match. You can take the center of that cloud of points and use it as strong evidence that the Google Earth image is accurate. You can show the distances on the map using Google Earth as below.

Then you have evidence that you can print and show them and you're in the clear.

8Gw3zFls.jpg

Yet another move to benefit the elite, so the big hotel is exempt but the small cafe or shop that legally and in good faith opened within 300 meters is screwed.

See it as a good upgrade. Youth should not drink alcohol.

Got nothing to do with screwing the small sellers.

No one should drink alcohol. Nor should they take drugs. I suggest a ban on all drugs and alcohol. Ban Pharmacies. Buddha said life is suffering. Everyone should suffer. If you alleviate suffering with drugs, well, people will not want to die in agony like the present establishment in the LOS seems to wish them to die. How can the government convince you to aspire to be an Arahant without withholding drugs that will make you pain-free.

But, I'm HiSo. I'm a from a Chinese-Thai family with MONEY, I need help: Well, we'll make sure the limited amount of morphine allow in the country will be allocated to you and yours. The rest of the rice farming peasants and lower middle class can die in agony. It's their own fault. They should have aspired to be Arahants.

"Oh yeah, and all farangs should be banned from alcohol!!!"

We're working on it. But we need more provinces north of Hat Yai to become Muslin. Give it time.

Edited by connda

In Norway the Norm is that the students run their own bar/ nightclub on campus. University students are adults and treated as such. Unlike Thailand, where they are treated like children.

Amazing Thailand.

This is a very good decision since coup government taken charge, probably 100-150 meters away from schools and universities is OK. Earlier governments were funded by drinks manufacturers who wants a free flow (wind fall?) sale!

Big trouble will be 7-11s operating there. Anyhow regular drinkers can walk little bit more to get it from next shop, will be a good exercise too.

There is a 7/11 in Udon Thani opposite the High School they just do not sell booze

1) existing entertainment venues and bars with licenses are exempt from this.

2) entertainment areas like Soi Cowboy, Siam Paragon etc are exempt from this.

3) the law refers to universities and technical colleges, not any school.

look like a lot of misleading information on this forum. Also bear in mind, if and when this law comes into effect,it's also about whether it will be enforced or not or how it will be enforced.

the last time a lot misleading information was circulated was when people talked about some ban on beer girls, alcohol advertisement and so on.

That's why I can't understand the map that Coconuts had and was posted earlier in this thread.

It shows red shaded areas around several sections of lower Sukhumvit where there are NO universities / colleges or vocational schools.

There are some Thai public schools in those areas for young children, but no college age places that supposedly are the intent of this latest rule.

So, it would seem some of the red shading on the Coconuts map is simply wrong.

post-58284-0-08017800-1437661198_thumb.j

The areas around Chula Univ. I can understand. And there is Srinakharinwirot University's Prasarnmit campus at the end of Suk Soi 23 along the Klong Saen Saep. But that looks to be beyond a 300 meter distance from Soi Cowboy.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So now the primary/secondary school kids will have to take a carry out with them to school for lunch time this might cause them to start bulling as the older kids start to steal the carry outs and a few bottles of Leo could be heavy to carry and the smaller kids and they will just end up buying a half bottle of local whisky, never heard such a load of rubbish closing the small boozers near schools are they all full of children at lunch time then the proprietor should be prosecuted for selling alcohol to underage children a few hefty fines and that will soon stop the kids from drinking at the small street pubs as the kids will all be barred by the owners.

You have completely made that up. I can find nothing on any such laws, not that it would matter. Why is it every-time there is one of these threads some jerk has to make up a phony fact about the US to compare it to?

Maybe that was a rhetorical question - but I think the answer is because that's what a lot of Americans like to do!

Seems to be a constant need to reinforce their sense of self-importance in the world by comparing everything and everyone else with themselves..