What amendments would you make to the Thai visa/PR legislation?

Been here 18 years and married with an 11 year old daughter and I'd be happy with anybody living on back to back yearly marriage extensions for at least 5 years or so then being given a 2 or 3 year extension each time.

• Like 1

For the newbees whose first expat home is Thailand, I have lived in 9 foreign countries ... and none of them required a 90 day check-in. The only requirement was to stop by the local police station to register a new address. Plus all of them issued an ID card with my visa status.

• Like 2

I would like to see it means tested

ie if you own your own condo or property (house in co name or whatever) then you would not need the 65K per month to live

on as you wouldnt need to pay rent

if you owned your own abode then why would you need to report every 90 days as its already registered

and on and on

the system could be simplified

of course one has to factor in using a company to circumnavigate land ownship rules is deemed illegal in the first instance rolleyes.gif

So one is suggesting being given addtional "rights" on the basis of an illegal act laugh.png

read the whole thing

dont pick parts out

plenty of people use a company to buy property

investors can buy land as well if they can stump up 40 million

The sheer gall of retirees to complain about what they have to do to live in Thailand appals me. The great majority come here having paid all their taxes in foreign countries in their working lives. Oh sure, they contribute to the economy here by spending their hard earned but they haven't paid much if any tax here. I have paid millions and millions of baht in tax in my working life here and I don't see why some pensioner should come from abroad and enjoy the same rights as me. Thailand has made it possible for you to live here so jump through your very minor hoops and quit all the whinging.

But are giving back more than they're taking out? Genuine question- I presume they're not getting a state pension or anything from the Thai government, most likely using private medical care and so on.

The sheer gall of retirees to complain about what they have to do to live in Thailand appals me. The great majority come here having paid all their taxes in foreign countries in their working lives. Oh sure, they contribute to the economy here by spending their hard earned but they haven't paid much if any tax here. I have paid millions and millions of baht in tax in my working life here and I don't see why some pensioner should come from abroad and enjoy the same rights as me. Thailand has made it possible for you to live here so jump through your very minor hoops and quit all the whinging.

Very petty and mean spirited comment that.

If you're not a retired expat this doesn't concern you.

It might concern you if you're a THAI citizen ... then it's your country. But I doubt you are.

I wouldn't come on here dissing another class of expats than me and suggesting their concerns are nothing.

In any case on top of being rude, the truth is that there are other countries that offer retirement visas that DO offer paths towards greater residence security.

Why do they do this?

I don't know. Probably a mix of motivations including basic compassion for older people who have chosen to spend the later part of their lives in their country.

• Like 1

Fact is there are very few countries in the world that even offer a retirement visa these days and even fewer who would offer PR or citizenship to a retiree as the typical premise of getting PR or citizenship in another country is that the person(s) concerned are making a meaningful contribution to the country

If your so hell bent on getting PR in Thailand get a job then an do your 3 years, pay your tax and apply

Spot on mate, try Oz my country of birth (of which I remain a proud Aussie) - but try getting the likes of a 'retirement visa'. Won't happen. Like others, 90 day report, no big deal - as long as one has nothing to hide............?

• Like 1

For the newbees whose first expat home is Thailand, I have lived in 9 foreign countries ... and none of them required a 90 day check-in. The only requirement was to stop by the local police station to register a new address. Plus all of them issued an ID card with my visa status.

There have been a number of wild assertIons - no validation thereof. EASY!

I too am an Aussie. Whilst in Oz, I evidenced incentives for immigration.

I was a uni lecturer & then a CPA. I do have an understanding of economics & accounting + taxation law.

I say this as I have some insight/understanding as to why the Thai government enacted legislation inviting ol' farts to retire here.

I have had a vasectomy. I do not collect the OAP from Oz. I would enjoy voluntary work - cannot.

There is a multiplier effect of our spending. Further, making direct assistance to Thai family has increased their earning capacity.

The intent of this thread was to discuss the pros & cons of less reporting to the I/O. I have nothing to hide!

Quite a lot has been submitted except modifying reporting requirement procedures.

WHY?

Those submitting posts but still working - are you not stealing from your employer?

I have committed my life to Thailand. I have represented the country in international sport, received an award from the aroyal family for services to education. I am a permanent resident for ages and taxpayer for thirty years. Even with PR ai have to visit immigration to pay quite a large sum of money for reentry visas. I i love and respect Thailand and I DO consider it MY country. When pensioners come to my country, which they have been made perfectly entitled to do, but whinge and moan about not being treted fairly then i stick by what i said...it is galling in the extreme.

only civilized countries give citizenship to spouses and the freedom to work, live & buy what & where you want

Would love to hear your definition of civilized so that it would be applicable to the countries you think handout citizenship so freely.

#41 - Whinging?

I have been proposing an examination of existing reporting procedures to the I/O (for increased efficiency).

I am not a pensioner - "Self-funded retiree". I am not in & out of the country. I brought a substantial sum in & spend it here. No government hand-outs.

No whinging from me.

Edited by fang37
  • Like 1

There have been a number of wild assertIons - no validation thereof. EASY!

I too am an Aussie. Whilst in Oz, I evidenced incentives for immigration.

I was a uni lecturer & then a CPA. I do have an understanding of economics & accounting + taxation law.

I say this as I have some insight/understanding as to why the Thai government enacted legislation inviting ol' farts to retire here.

I have had a vasectomy. I do not collect the OAP from Oz. I would enjoy voluntary work - cannot.

There is a multiplier effect of our spending. Further, making direct assistance to Thai family has increased their earning capacity.

The intent of this thread was to discuss the pros & cons of less reporting to the I/O. I have nothing to hide!

Quite a lot has been submitted except modifying reporting requirement procedures.

WHY?

Those submitting posts but still working - are you not stealing from your employer?

What amendments would you make to the Thai visa/PR legislation?

Well excuse me for misunderstanding the title of the thread. I thought I was was quite clear in my submissions.

How does people submitting posts but still working equate to people stealing from their employer? It is quite legal to work on/offshore and still live in Thailand with the appropriate visa.

You may have been a uni lecturer and then a CPA ...but you didn't seem to have studied any logic it seems.

ie if you own your own condo or property (house in co name or whatever) then you would not need the 65K per month to live

if you owned your own abode then why would you need to report every 90 days as its already registered

and on and on

IMO, the most sensible post so far.

• Like 1

I have committed my life to Thailand. I have represented the country in international sport, received an award from the aroyal family for services to education. I am a permanent resident for ages and taxpayer for thirty years. Even with PR ai have to visit immigration to pay quite a large sum of money for reentry visas. I i love and respect Thailand and I DO consider it MY country. When pensioners come to my country, which they have been made perfectly entitled to do, but whinge and moan about not being treted fairly then i stick by what i said...it is galling in the extreme.

So you've internalized Thai xenophobia. You sound like a tea party American complaining about Immigrants. This is an expat focused forum.

I don't think anyone said the word unfairness. More like Thailand would be even more attractive to retired expats if there was a path towards more secure residence status for them.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

To the man from the Apple Isle ie Tassie.

Curiosity - checked the net re retirement visa to Oz. Surprise - there is one. I could not access the requirements.

Methinks that there is surplus BS flowing through this thread.

and on and on

of course one has to factor in using a company to circumnavigate land ownship rules is deemed illegal in the first instance rolleyes.gif

So one is suggesting being given addtional "rights" on the basis of an illegal act laugh.png

read the whole thing

dont pick parts out

plenty of people use a company to buy property

investors can buy land as well if they can stump up 40 million

And how many people as indivduals have invested 40 million and bought land then ? I stand to be corrected but indivduals the grand total is zero

Yes plenty of people use companies to by pass land ownership laws but it doesnt make it legal if the company is set up for the express purpose of circumnavigating the law

I am not xenophobic, besides I am an immigrant myself so if I am exhibiting that kind of behaviour it would be akin to cutting off my nose to spite my face. But there do need to be changes...the first I can think of is to tax pensions coming in from abroad. If this is impossible then bump up the fees significantly. Too many old folk think they can just up sticks from the miserable climate and ageist attitudes of their erstwhile homelands and plonk down in Thailand for next to nothing.

• Like 1

I am not xenophobic, besides I am an immigrant myself so if I am exhibiting that kind of behaviour it would be akin to cutting off my nose to spite my face. But there do need to be changes...the first I can think of is to tax pensions coming in from abroad. If this is impossible then bump up the fees significantly. Too many old folk think they can just up sticks from the miserable climate and ageist attitudes of their erstwhile homelands and plonk down in Thailand for next to nothing.

Wow. So mean spirited. Happily you're not really Thai and your wishes to stick it to old expats account for nothing.

PERSONALLY, this thread has no effect upon me. A 10min drive to the local I/O - easy park. Change out of 5 min.

I can see that 4 members & 13 guests are observing. A comedy?

Banter - in good taste is OK by me. Personal slurs; attempts at character assassination - unacceptable.

I have nothing to prove.

LOS is a quality place to enjoy my sunset years.

To the visa runners & fraudsters - I just mind my own business. That is for the I/O to police.

Edited by fang37

and on and on

Such as having visas state that you can enter the country from Date A and have to leave by Date B, in accordance with the practice followed by the vast majority of other countries across this great planet of ours. Far less confusing, I think, than having them "used" between these 2 dates as at present.

And having visas issued by immigration offices here in Thailand instead of your having to traipse to a Thai embassy or consulate in your home country or an adjoining country in this part of the world to obtain one. In place of subsequent extensions of stay your immigration office could grant you further visas as long as you met prevailing financial, etc requirements relating to your purpose for staying in Thailand (retirement, marriage, etc).

And, in the case of tourist visas, instead of the existing messy single/double/triple entry arrangement, simply have 3-month or 6-month (+ 9-month?) visas stating entry and exit dates as indicated above.

You should also be able to come and go to and from Thailand as you please within the validity period of your visa without the need for re-entry permits.

Such measures would, of course, see an end to border runs in most cases - as well as to the endless debates on here as to what constitutes a visa or an extension of stay.crying.gif And, for over-50 retirees, the oft-quoted but totally non-existent "retirement visa" might even become a reality! biggrin.png

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

I always thought that a SOME Non Immigrant O retiree could apply for PR under the Humanity Reasons as in Support a family or Humanity Reasons category: In this category, you must have a relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already posses a residence permit as a husband or wife; father or mother; or a guardian of a Thai child under 20 years of age.

So if a retiree has a Thai spouse there is an avenue. It is certainly proclaimed as such by many Thai immigration lawyers and the thread of Cammartas (referred to by Fang37 also advises same).

To me bigger limiting issues are a.) the quota, and b.) the possibility of being declared a non resident in my home country (by the fact that I have actively sought out PR in Thailand) for taxation purposes...so I run the risk of paying a higher rate of tax from the first dollar. (Residency for Tax in Australia being independent of Australian Citizenship).

I always thought that a SOME Non Immigrant O retiree could apply for PR under the Humanity Reasons as in Support a family or Humanity Reasons category: In this category, you must have a relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already posses a residence permit as a husband or wife; father or mother; or a guardian of a Thai child under 20 years of age.

So if a retiree has a Thai spouse there is an avenue. It is certainly proclaimed as such by many Thai immigration lawyers and the thread of Cammartas (referred to by Fang37 also advises same).

To me bigger limiting issues are a.) the quota, and b.) the possibility of being declared a non resident in my home country (by the fact that I have actively sought out PR in Thailand) for taxation purposes...so I run the risk of paying a higher rate of tax from the first dollar. (Residency for Tax in Australia being independent of Australian Citizenship).

It not possible to get PR for being married to a Thai unless you have been working for 3 years and have tax records for those 3 years.

You can have a look at the required documents here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/residence/residence_th_sponser_en.pdf

If you meet the requirements shown on that list you can apply for Thai nationality based upon being married to a Thai.

• Like 1