What amendments would you make to the Thai visa/PR legislation?

I have been in LOS for 13 years on a retirement visa. 3 mthly reporting & annual extensions. After such time, most of us would call Thailand home. PR is a no-go for retirees. If PR is a no-go, full citizenship is not an option either.

Now, we are not part of Thailand - nor are we part of our native country.

How can Thailand make it a better, more inviting place to live?

Year after year after year of reporting? No long service leave - no nuffin. LOS is home to me. For what period of time must one be on parole?

For me, 90 day reporting is nothing. I/O in our town - on-line reporting hardly worth it. Wife does it - 5min.

In CNX, the Japanese society holds social functions & invites staff of the I/O. Visa requirements resolved on the spot.

As a retiree, I am not crying. I compared Malaysia & LOS in particular.

My hunch is that the Thai visa system is abused - just observe the Mae Ai system - a thriving industry. Similarly, law firms do a lot of "shepherding" in order to gain a quick passage + the Japanese sector.

This is mere opinion - things can always be better? Agree - hardly a b/breaker - so?

Edited by fang37

Status should be definitely be raised for persons on continuing retirement extensions for a long time, say five years for example.

Will it be?

I think NEVER.
We have a choice. Basically accept it or leave. Not love it. Accept it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Status should be definitely be raised for persons on continuing retirement extensions for a long time, say five years for example.

Will it be?

I think NEVER.

Why should status be rasied after 5 years for example ? Just because one has managed to keep 800k in a bank account for 5 years, your having a laugh, if a retiree wishes to get PR get a job do your 3 years, pay your income tax and apply for PR

• Like 1

Will it be?

I think NEVER.

This is my point.

There have been considerable improvements over recent years. Why not more?

I do not seek PR anymore - too old & not an investment now.

13 continuous years here. I have no intention of relocating.

Say 10 years on a R/V - notify I/O of any change of address. Violate - pay the fine - make it substantial.

W/o retirees cluttering up the I/O, it will be smoother sailing.

I hardly see a Japanese at the I/O - their planning was astute.

• Like 1

only civilized countries give citizenship to spouses and the freedom to work, live & buy what & where you want

Citizenship - not an issue.

Freedom to work - not an issue.

The R/V was introduced for a reason - come on in, you ol' farts & spend your $$$.

I do not object to the property ownership conditions either - not an issue. It did take time to accept.

Originally, I considered the R/V system a good deal.

After this time in LOS, a reasonable investment here, complying with the law (one parking ticket), let the ol' buggers have a little privilege?

Taxation - VAT, excise, import tax, tax on bank deposits, property transfers. There may be more than one form of taxation in LOS.

Edited by fang37

only civilized countries give citizenship to spouses and the freedom to work, live & buy what & where you want

And many have run away from so called civilised countries due to the costs, rules and lack of females who are not that fussy about having sexual relations with pensioners

• Like 1

Citizenship - not an issue.

Freedom to work - not an issue.

The R/V was introduced for a reason - come on in, you ol' farts & spend your $$$.

I do not object to the property ownership conditions either - not an issue. It did take time to accept.

Originally, I considered the R/V system a good deal.

After this time in LOS, a reasonable investment here, complying with the law (one parking ticket), let the ol' buggers have a little privilege?

Taxation - VAT, excise, import tax, tax on bank deposits, property transfers. There may be more than one form of taxation in LOS.

Why should get retiree's get more "privillages" over someone who works here legally and pays their income tax etc ? Retirees on extension have exactly the same "privillages" currently as some one working here legally so they should stop whinging

And many have run away from so called civilised countries due to the costs, rules and lack of females who are not that fussy about having sexual relations with pensioners

1zgarz5.gif1zgarz5.gif For you Mr S.

We are not all here for those reasons tongue.pngtongue.png

• Like 1

Thailand is a nice inviting place to live.

Just like most Countries it has rules and regulations that we have to abide by to live here.

It amazes me that some '' Retirees '' have an issue with 4 visits to immigration a year.

Hardly a b@llbreaker.

Especially now, it's an "under five minute" process at Jomtien. Two years ago it was a forking nightmare, now it's a great excuse to go visit Pattaya.

Your right i was brought here for work which is what i have been doing for the last 14 years ;)

And currently have no intentions of retiring here, but nice try anyway in trying to infer your better than other people who do choose that lifestyle

Your right i was brought here for work which is what i have been doing for the last 14 years wink.png

And currently have no intentions of retiring here, but nice try anyway in trying to infer your better than other people who do choose that lifestyle

No attempt at inferring anything. I can fully appreciate why people would choose that lifestyle.

Merely pointing out that we are not all here for the reasons you laid out above.

Why is citizenship a no go. I've made enquiries (I'm on a retirement visa) and as long as I meet the requirements (which I will) after 3 years living in Thailand, I can apply for citizenship. Passing the language test is my only real concern.

Why is citizenship a no go. I've made enquiries (I'm on a retirement visa) and as long as I meet the requirements (which I will) after 3 years living in Thailand, I can apply for citizenship. Passing the language test is my only real concern.

Were you previously working in Thailand for a long time before retirement?

I researched it a few years ago. On TV, there is an excellent thread by Cameratta (?)

Continual work for 3 years - a bit difficult if you have a retirement visa.

The price - B191k? That takes a bit of the gloss off it too.

• Like 1

I researched it a few years ago. On TV, there is an excellent thread by Cameratta (?)

Yes for the majority of retired expats who move here specifically for retirement and never worked in Thailand, there is NO PATH to higher status at all while on retirement extensions.

No permanent residence.

No Thai citizenship (which most don't want anyway).

• Like 1

I stand to be corrected but believe you need to be working at the time of application and while the application is in process ?

Yes for the majority of retired expats who move here specifically for retirement and never worked in Thailand, there is NO PATH to higher status at all while on retirement extensions.

No permanent residence.

And why should there be a "higher" path for retirees, technically speaking they are not contributing to thai society anyway which is the normal premise to be granted PR or citizenship

No permanent residence.

The sheer gall of retirees to complain about what they have to do to live in Thailand appals me. The great majority come here having paid all their taxes in foreign countries in their working lives. Oh sure, they contribute to the economy here by spending their hard earned but they haven't paid much if any tax here. I have paid millions and millions of baht in tax in my working life here and I don't see why some pensioner should come from abroad and enjoy the same rights as me. Thailand has made it possible for you to live here so jump through your very minor hoops and quit all the whinging.

• Like 2

I would like to see it means tested

ie if you own your own condo or property (house in co name or whatever) then you would not need the 65K per month to live

on as you wouldnt need to pay rent

if you owned your own abode then why would you need to report every 90 days as its already registered

and on and on

the system could be simplified

of course one has to factor in using a company to circumnavigate land ownship rules is deemed illegal in the first instance :rolleyes:

So one is suggesting being given addtional "rights" on the basis of an illegal act :lol:

I have just accepted it as it is. No chance for me re PR.

$$$ brought in, taxes paid in a variety of ways, contribution to Thai society, not competing with the local labour force.I am just fulfilling my function, doing my job - spending $$$.

I observe a tad of animosity here. Come to LOS to work? When contract completed - p..s off?

I have always owned approved property in LOS viz condos.

Recently, I relocated to Fang - contracted to erect a house in wife's name.

All along the line, there is a tax factor.

The sheer gall of retirees to complain about what they have to do to live in Thailand appals me. The great majority come here having paid all their taxes in foreign countries in their working lives. Oh sure, they contribute to the economy here by spending their hard earned but they haven't paid much if any tax here. I have paid millions and millions of baht in tax in my working life here and I don't see why some pensioner should come from abroad and enjoy the same rights as me. Thailand has made it possible for you to live here so jump through your very minor hoops and quit all the whinging.

Personally i think one change that should be made for retiree's should be the lodging of a bond with the goverment for such things as repatriation, medical expenses, repatriation of remains etc, as so it doesnt become a burden on the thai tax payer if said retiree falls on hard times while living in Thailand

I have just accepted it as it is. No chance for me re PR.

$$$ brought in, taxes paid in a variety of ways, contribution to Thai society, not competing with the local labour force.I am just fulfilling my function, doing my job - spending $$$.

I observe a tad of animosity here. Come to LOS to work? When contract completed - p..s off?

I have always owned approved property in LOS viz condos.

Recently, I relocated to Fang - contracted to erect a house in wife's name.

All along the line, there is a tax factor.

To put things in perspective regarding what your asking for, go and research how many countries in the world

1 off retirement visas and i mean bono fide retirement visas, not a visa on the back of investment

2 out those you find from above see how many offer PR or even citizenship in those countries

Think you will find what you got in Thailand aint such a bad deal currently